New York City

LBS Replaces my Lefty & Stem (Due to their neglegence).

Hey folks:

Three weeks ago I posted a horror story about my local bike shop (LBS) destroying the clamps on my Lefty as well as the SI Stem-steerer in an attempt to remove the lefty from my frame without the use of Cannondale's "Ernie" tool. You can find that thread here.

The shop offered to replace my old stem (SI) and Lefty (2010 Speed Carbon with DLR) free of charge. I didn't trust the owner because he had lied to me about a few details (which I posted about in the original thread) so I was kind of holding my breath and I called once a week to check on the status of the replacement parts. Last night I picked up my new 2012 Lefty Speed Carbon XLR and OPI Stem. They offered to install these for me but there was no way I was going to let them near my frame again. When I got home I gave my frame a very thorough inspection for cracks and it looks fine. I'll be installing the new Lefty & Stem tonight.

It took the shop exactly 3 weeks to get me a new Lefty and OPI stem. I feel like this is just a touch on the long side but I am really not complaining. I think this is a "relatively" quick turn-around time. I'm OK with it taking 3 weeks although I was getting pretty impatient. Where the shop went wrong was in their lack of admitting they were at fault and their lack of apologizing. I did not ever get an apology or admittance of guilt. Not ever. I think this is a bad business practice.

I will not be spending any of my hard-earned money at this shop and I strongly recommend others to avoid it as well. The shop is Tread Bike Shop on Dykeman Street in NYC. Beware my fellow NYC riders!
    phattire.net
    bikin' & bloggin' in NYC

Lefty Enthusiast
    Jun 2011
    It took me longer than that to get a similar part from Cannondale directly, so give the shop some slack, some of the wait time was Cannondale getting the part to them from PA. In my experience Cannondale has been unorganized on the back end. I'm glad that you got most of the problem resolved though. Happy riding!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Remember to use the proper tools use a properly calibrated torque wrench.

New York City
    Quote Originally Posted by kuan View Post
    Remember to use the proper tools use a properly calibrated torque wrench.
    Most definitely, I've got the special tool and a calibrated torque wrench!
    phattire.net
    bikin' & bloggin' in NYC

mtbr member
    Glad it was resolved.

FYI three weeks to get a new lefty is not bad, you would be amazed how long the back log is to buy a lefty stand alone.

XLR is a sweet system,

mtbr member
    The time for parts was not bad, but the lack of apology or admission of wrong doing is unacceptable. I've wrenched on my bikes with lefties (which is all of my mountain bikes since 2000) with all the different stem styles. There really is no reason to use a special to if you have some sort of mechanical aptitude. The tool will make it idiot proof though, which is apparently what that shop needs to have if they are going to hire that kind of help.

mtbr member
    Glad you're back up and running. Original thread was shocking.

mtbr member
    Great outcome, should never have happened but all is well that ends well. Ride on..

mtbr member
    May 2010
    i havent found a shop in NYC that has even heard of "lefty" or even 29er...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Good to hear they replaced it 3 weeks is fairly quick actually, at the very least I find it respectable of your LBS to replace it entirely with a brand new 2012 model not bad.