mtbr member
    Jun 2010

LBS giving me discouraging news about a wheel swap. Is this a sales pitch?

So I just received my 26" wheels today, 32h, attached to some formula hubs. I have a BB solo and also received my left hub that I want to swap the front wheels with. I'm looking for an off road setup to take when I go camping. Nothing serious, just cruising around the campsite. So One of my LBS is telling me it usually cost $60 to build a wheel without existing spokes and hubs, but because I am swapping out the hub with a new one that it's gonna cost double because it's gonna take double the work. All this because of the existing spokes and hubs being attached and he says that the problem is the rim has tension on it and he would need to carefully take each one off, a quarter turn each to make sure the rim doesnt go out of whack in the process. He then tries selling me a set of rims, without the spokes, says it would be better to go this route. So am I gonna run into a problem with the existing wheels/spokes tweaking the wheel so bad that I wasted money on a set of already built wheel. All I want is to replace the existing hub with my lefty. Any advise would be highly appreciated. TIA

********please move to wheel/tire section********

Sorry y'all...I should of posted it in the other forum....
    Last edited by FLiPinoy; 05-31-2011 at 10:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Taking the rim off... 1/4 turn at a time on the nipples??! Yeiks!

I'm no wheel expert builder but I cannot see actually bending a rim even if you completely loosened a spoke... when you break a spoke does it bend the rim? Not in my expreience...

I will be curious as to what a wheel building expert has to say...
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

mtbr member
    Here is my advice... go spend 5 bucks on a spoke wrench and read some online articles on building a wheel. Sounds like that would result in a better wheel then what your LBS going to build for you...

I personally when taking apart a wheel just un-tension each spoke to the point that i see the threads then i move to the next one. Once done with them all like this, I move onto removing each spoke individually by unscrewing them completely.

ballbuster
    If they're going to charge you for disassembly, Yeah... just buy a spoke wrench and do it yourself. It will take you like 10 minutes if you don't have any frozen nipples.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    He either can't (doesn't have equipment) or doesn't want to do the job for you.
    There are others who will want to do it - seek them out.
    As other have pointed out - it's not rocket science and you can learn to do it yourself if you are so inclined.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    The LBS is right, to a point.....

To save the old rim, it's best to de-tension it slowly. That being said, a 1/4 or 1/2 turn per spoke, for perhaps three trips around, will take the lions share of tension off, enough so, that you can cut the spokes and remove the rim without damage. Cut them off at full tension, and the rim will be warped in some fashion, enough so that building a stable wheel they'll be proud of, won't be as straightforward, or as likely.

If you have no interest in saving the rim, just cut the spokes out.

Yes, buy a spoke wrench and take it apart yourself, then hand them the hub. Assuming this appeals to you more than paying a rather hefty price for 5 to 10 minutes work...

Not my business to tell other shops what to charge, but $60 for a single wheel build is pretty steep IMHO. I charge $25 a wheel, which I know is on the low end, but, for real? $60??! A wheel takes less than 45 minutes start to finish for crying out loud. He must have a boat payment coming up
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    This is a good but comical guy building wheels, basically showing you that any one can do the job if you are organised and methodical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTb3x...eature=related

Good luck and has has been said if you don't want to do the task yourself maybe find a second opinion.

ballbuster
    ... and don't forget SheldonBrown.com has great instructions on how to build wheels. I mean, you still have to buy spokes. The going rate around here seems to be $1-$2 each for double butted DT Swiss spokes. $60... did that include new spokes? If so, that is not unreasonable, IMO.

canuck
    we charge 45 to build.
    1 for sg wheel smith and 2 for db dt spokes

ill break the nipples free then cut them off and build your wheel...

if you want your spokes saved?..... bring me a coffee.

mtbr member
    $60 isn't unheard of, depends where you are...

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    The LBS is right, to a point.....

To save the old rim, it's best to de-tension it slowly. That being said, a 1/4 or 1/2 turn per spoke, for perhaps three trips around, will take the lions share of tension off, enough so, that you can cut the spokes and remove the rim without damage. Cut them off at full tension, and the rim will be warped in some fashion, enough so that building a stable wheel they'll be proud of, won't be as straightforward, or as likely.

If you have no interest in saving the rim, just cut the spokes out.

Yes, buy a spoke wrench and take it apart yourself, then hand them the hub. Assuming this appeals to you more than paying a rather hefty price for 5 to 10 minutes work...

Not my business to tell other shops what to charge, but $60 for a single wheel build is pretty steep IMHO. I charge $25 a wheel, which I know is on the low end, but, for real? $60??! A wheel takes less than 45 minutes start to finish for crying out loud. He must have a boat payment coming up
    what he said but if you are not interested in saving the rim still detension them, The act of cutting them when tensioned can cause the hub flange unusually high point tensions and cause them to fracture, which might not be noticed until the new wheel is built to the existing hub.

When it comes to bike wheels it is always best to be careful, there is a lot of tension there.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Well I went to REI and they are gonna take care of me. Spokes for 32h ar gonna be $28, the saved me on my labor since I'm a member at $40, plus they said I have $22 credit in my account that I can use towards the service. I said WTH, picking it up on Monday.