Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    New York City

LBS Destroys my SI Stem and Lefty Clamps trying to remove my Lefty!!

On a recent ride I noticed my Lefty making a clunking noise/feeling and the lock-out was not working. When I stopped to assess the situation I found oil leaking out of the bottom of the Lefty (all over my disk and caliper!). This is on my 2010 Flash F1 with Lefty Speed Carbon with DLR.

I plan on mailing this up to Mendon Cyclesmith for repair but first I need to get it off the bike. I know that there is a special Cannondale tool to get the lefty out of the frame so I called my LBS to see if they could remove it for me. They assured me that they could. I told them that it has an SI stem/steerer combo and asked if they were sure they had the tools to properly remove it. They said "yeah, sure our mechanics have the tools". Sweet! So after work I took the frame with the lefty down to the shop.

They took it off my hands and immediately started unscrewing the clamps and wiggling the steerer/stem loose. I'm watching them to see how this special tool is used and what it looks like, but I don't see any tool... Instead, I see one guy holding my frame upside-down while another guy uses a mallet to smack the ***** out of my stem. They were trying to force the stem out of the head tube! I knew this wasn't right, but they're the mechanics and I thought, well, maybe it just needs a tap or two...

Ten minutes later they're still whacking the ***** out of my stem. Then they come out and say: "We can't get the steerer out; we're going to have to destroy it to get it out.". I'm like Woah woah woah! I go look at what they've done and they beat the hell out of everything! The stem has a massive half-dollar size dent on the underside of the stem from all the hammering and the threads at the bottom of the steerer are destroyed from them trying to push it up and out of the head tube with some sort of pipe they had.

I was furious! I said: "you know there's a special tool for this right?" To which they replied "No".

I was shaking mad... could barely talk. I was ready to punch someone! But, I kept my cool and didn't even curse, though I was so tempted to scream "WTF?!".

Surveying the damage here's what I saw:

1) The top clamp is twisted badly. They said: "Oh we'll straighten that out for you". Bull*****; you're replacing that. I'm not riding a fatigued clamp.

2) The steerer/stem combo is toast. It's dented in many places and the treads are destroyed at the bottom of it.

They told me they will pay for everything but I will NEVER go back to this shop. The owner was not in yesterday. I plan on calling him today to tell him what I saw and how displeased I am. All I want is for them to get my Lefty off and order the replacement parts no charge.

Anyway, here's the damage they did. Depending on how they handle this situation I may or may not flame them on Yelp and on here... The shop will remain nameless for now...

Can you believe this crap?

Arby.

Above: Is this notch supposed to be here? Is it for removing the bottom bearing?

Above: Look at those threads!

Above: Look at the twist in that top clamp!
    Last edited by Arby; 08-03-2011 at 07:14 AM. Reason: more details
    phattire.net
    bikin' & bloggin' in NYC

mtbr member
    That is unbelievable! I would have never been as calm as you were. That nameless bike store better be paying full price for the damages done. If I were you, I would carefully inspect your frame and lefty to make sure they didn't damage that in the process too. I would even send an email to Cannondale to inform them of this. I'm sure they wouldn't be pleased with a dealer servicing their bikes in this manner.

New York City
    Quote Originally Posted by Endothermic Cavewalker View Post
    That is unbelievable! I would have never been as calm as you were. That nameless bike store better be paying full price for the damages done. If I were you, I would carefully inspect your frame and lefty to make sure they didn't damage that in the process too. I would even send an email to Cannondale to inform them of this. I'm sure they wouldn't be pleased with a dealer servicing their bikes in this manner.
    Thanks. Yeah, I was pretty mad... I could barely speak because I was shaking mad. I'm a Quality Assurance Engineer. You can bet I'll be doing some NDT on the inside of that head tube to check for cracks. A little dye-penetrant inspection. Those F#%$ers!
    phattire.net
    bikin' & bloggin' in NYC

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    complete and utter incompetence. they should be obliged to replace all damaged components without question.

good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    An Ernie costs maybe 35 USD and lasts forever.

Are you sure those are Cannondale dealers ??

New Lefty (upper part 600 USD + install)
    New stem
    New bearings
    So Ernie costs 35 USD, managed to have a 750 USD loss, they took a hit that day.

And hopefully the frame wasn't damaged.

Maybe time to struck a good deal, start scouring the '12 catalog ;-)

New York City
    Quote Originally Posted by MirFlash View Post
    New Lefty (upper part 600 USD + install)
    New stem
    New bearings
    Oh man, are you saying that the LBS probably won't be able to buy just the upper clamp for the Lefty?
    Last edited by Arby; 08-03-2011 at 07:55 AM. Reason: I'm dumb.
    phattire.net
    bikin' & bloggin' in NYC

Ridin' dirty!
    Those are the kinda shops that give cannondale a bad reputation and make folks believe that a lefty is high maintenance and such......
    Props to the op for keeping his cool.....bending the clamps back? WTF? I would've probably taken that rubber mallet out of the (so called) mechanics hand and whack him over the head with it.
    Unbelievable, just unbelievable......It's sad to see this kind of un-professional behavior nowadays pretty much everywhere you go....sales clerks, auto mechanics etc.....no wonder the us ranks 22nd in world education standards.....
    They better replace everything...have them order new parts for you and install it yourself...don not let those morons touch your bike again!
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arby View Post
    Oh man, are you saying that the LBS probably won't be able to buy just the upper clamp for the Lefty?
    Nope....on your lefty the clamps and lefty uppers are one unit.....(bonded to the carbon).

FKA Malibu412
    I wouldn't have them touch the bike again, even if they get the tools they need and are willing to pay for everything. They're obviously clueless about this design. I'd get an estimate from another reputable shop that actually knows leftys, take it back to the shop owner in question and tell him/her to cut a check or pay you the cash.

Just WOW!! Name the shop. Others with leftys should know to avoid this hole.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    Just WOW!! Name the shop. Others with leftys should know to avoid this hole.
    I 2nd that.

New York City
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post
    Nope....on your lefty the clamps and lefty uppers are one unit.....(bonded to the carbon).
    I'm now almost as angry as I was last night... Man I hate incompetence. the only reason why I brought it to them was because I didn't have the Ernie tool.
    phattire.net
    bikin' & bloggin' in NYC

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yup complete upper carbon leg has to be replaced.

Is readily available in stock, but that means has to be dismantled, I don't think I would trust that very shop, wonder what they could "invent" during the rebuild.
    Last edited by MirFlash; 08-03-2011 at 04:00 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Wow...what a clusterfeck...how old were these mechanics? Anyone with a few grey hairs...check that...anyone who is older than 10 knows that if you have to use a hammer to fix somethning then you are most likely doing it wrong.

Also, how effin hard is it nowadays to use Google? 10 minutes on Google with obvious searches will yield all you need to know on how to remove a Lefty. If your mechanics are too stupid to use Google then you definately do not want them anywhere near your bikes - ever.

Have them order the replacement parts and when they come in ask to see them and then immediately walk out of the LBS with them - and never ever go back there - even for a tube...

Good luck with your repairs...

mtbr member
    Oh man...I feel for you just looking at that upper clamp. Good luck with everything.

LA CHÈVRE
    If they're a Cannondale reseller, I'd call Cannondale and tell them about the shop, they probably should take away their right to sell their products. Such incompetence and damage can really hurt their customers experience with their products, the company's image and their sales...

I'd want the Lefty, the stem, the headset and the frame replaced plus assembly at another shop (of your choice) at this dealer's expense...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    May I ask why when you saw them start beating the hell out of your bike you didn't stop them? Especially when you said, "I knew this wasn't right." Not saying they aren't responsible for the damage but I would have been like, "WTF are doing, stop NOW!"

New York City
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST View Post
    May I ask why when you saw them start beating the hell out of your bike you didn't stop them? Especially when you said, "I knew this wasn't right." Not saying they aren't responsible for the damage but I would have been like, "WTF are doing, stop NOW!"
    I really should have spoken up. I really wish I had!
    phattire.net
    bikin' & bloggin' in NYC

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I really should have spoken up. I really wish I had!
    Yeah, sorry to have brought it up. I'm sure you feel bad enough about the damage. It's unfortunate that you should have to oversee a paid professional to make sure they do the job right.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ouch! That top clamp is painful to look at! I'm not a material scientist but I don't think aluminium is happy being bent that much and then bent back again...and what are they going to do? stick it in a vice and bend it back until it looks about right? I think they owe you a new fork and stem there and I'd be fitting it myself or taking it to another dealer to have fitted.

I would also send that pic to Cannondale - I really doubt they want dealers like that.

New York City
    Quote Originally Posted by jimification View Post

I would also send that pic to Cannondale - I really doubt they want dealers like that.
    I am going to give this shop a chance to redeem themselves. I called the owner this morning and he basically hustled me off the phone saying "don't worry we're gonna' pay for all that." This only pissed me off more, but I didn't let it show.

I'm going to swing into the shop on my ride home from work and talk with him about the issue. If the shop pays for everything I will not flame them online but there is no way I am going back there.

If things get nasty, I will definitely be in touch with Cannondale to include photos and my displeasure with their representation at my LBS.
    phattire.net
    bikin' & bloggin' in NYC

Tool
    If the shop pays for everything I will not flame them online but there is no way I am going back there.
    Sorry, but you're doing the biking community a disservice by not naming the shop. I can understand if you want to wait until you have your new parts paid for and in hand, but once this fiasco is over, you really should let us know what shop will take on Lefty work without the proper amount of expertise.

No matter what they do at this point, they ruined a fork and headset, and you saw them do it, leaving no question as to whether this is fact or not.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile View Post
    Sorry, but you're doing the biking community a disservice by not naming the shop. I can understand if you want to wait until you have your new parts paid for and in hand, but once this fiasco is over, you really should let us know what shop will take on Lefty work without the proper amount of expertise.

No matter what they do at this point, they ruined a fork and headset, and you saw them do it, leaving no question as to whether this is fact or not.
    I was in a Cannondale dealer in the UK recently and asked if they did lefty servicing. The way they replied: "we do all bikes" rather vaguely, made me nod politely and make a mental note that my lefty will be going elsewhere come service time (Thumbprint, or someone that deals with a lot of lefty's preferably)

FIRENZE rulez !!
    unbeliveable

mtbr member
    Wow!

It can take a "love" tap to get that out, but bending the clamp, that is a fail. I would not ride that fork again, it needs a new upper and I am not sure I would trust those guys to swap uppers.

New York City
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile View Post
    Sorry, but you're doing the biking community a disservice by not naming the shop.
    You're right. I thought about that a lot today. I will definitely name the shop and warn others about it. I would hate for this to happen to any of you or anyone at all!
    phattire.net
    bikin' & bloggin' in NYC

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast