mtbr member

Lacing for a ultralight Lefty wheel

Hi to all,

I should mount an ultralight Lefty wheel with a Stan's ZTR Race 7000 rim, (32) Sapim CX Ray spokes and Soul Kozak Hub: what lacing can be made?

3x left side, 2x right side
    3x left side, 3x right side
    3x left side, radial right side???

Thank you in advance for the help.

Bye.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Monticone
    Due to discs, that'd be my recommendation.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by Monticone
    I should mount an ultralight Lefty wheel with a Stan's ZTR Race 7000 rim, (32) Sapim CX Ray spokes and Soul Kozak Hub: what lacing can be made?

3x left side, 2x right side
    3x left side, radial right side???
    The lacing you could use would depend on the hub design. If the Soul Kozak hub has a large right side flange, you can get away with a 2x. Otherwise use a 3x on both sides.

As far as spokes go, use a larger spoke on the left side than the right side to save weight and make a more balanced (stress and strain wise) and longer lasting wheel.

I was going for stiffness along with low weight for my last wheel build so I used 2.0mm straight guage with brass nipples on the left and DT Swiss Aerolite and alum nipples on the right which with a ZTR 355 brought it to 672g.
    Because of the Omega hub design(it has a smaller right side flange), I used a 3x on both sides. The aerolite spoke have a 2.0-1.5-2.0 cross section. They are very light. The spokes end up stretching(strain) about the same on both sides because of the difference in tension. This is the stiffest front disc wheel I have experienced to date, and I will never have problems with the spokes because of the balanced strain. This is because the spokes will never approach being untensioned.

Using the same spokes on both sides makes no sense whatsoever for a wheel that needs to be built with different tensions.

When will the 7000 series rims become available?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    The lacing you could use would depend on the hub design. If the Soul Kozak hub has a large right side flange, you can get away with a 2x. Otherwise use a 3x on both sides.

[...]

When will the 7000 series rims become available?
    Thank you.

Ok, two options: 3x-2x or 3x-3x.

Yes, 7000 series rims aren't yet offically available.

I don't take them directly from Stan...