mtbr member
    Oct 2004

New question here. knee pain after buying jekyll

Hi,

I used to ride a Kona Cinder cone and have recently upgraded to a Cannondale jekyll. I rode it a few times and then I started getting a pain on the outer side of my knee. This happens when I ride it uphill or in the big ring pushing the pedals very hard. In recent days it only takes a few minutes of uphill ride and my knee starts to hurt. Because the pains started when I got the bike, I think it is something to do with the riding position or bike geometry. Did anyone else have similar experience? If you have, what did you do to make it better.

Lucifer rides an mtb

Check your pedals, seat, bars

Sounds like a basic issue of the new bike having a different fit. For me, knee pain has always had something to do with the angle of my shoes on the pedals... if you are using clipless pedals, check to make sure that you've got your feet angled the same as your old bike. Then check seat height and setback from the handlebars. Also check position of handlebars (e.g. did either bike have a riser stem or riser bars?). If you have your old bike still, do some measurements on it to see if you are stretching yourself in a different way and try adjusting things back into the position you are used to. I keep my Jeckyll in the middle position as far as riding geometry goes... if your old bike was configured differently, you might want to change that too. Again, a bike-to-bike comparison would be the easiest way to figure this out.

NOTE: try making one change/adjustment at a time and ride to see if it fixes the problem. If you tinker with all these variables at once and your knee feels better, you won't know what the root cause was. Likewise, you won't be able to rule anything out if the knee doesn't improve.

R.I.P. DogFriend

Check this link:

Especially the part about neutral knee position...

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit/

I also agree with the poster above about the cleat being adjusted properly.

Out riding my Scalpel

Had same issue with my knees!

When I first got my Jekyll I couldn't get this bike dialed in at all. I was not happy. So I just started experimenting and adjusting my seatpost along with the seat til I thought it was comfortable and working for me. I think it's comfortable now and my knees don't hurt at all. The bike climbs like mountain goat. I feel really good about my production on this bike. After a long rides like 3+ hours I don't feel weak or tired, usually just hungry. I just feel refreshed. I finally got this bike dialed in now and love it. Keep working with it. Your gonna love it once it's dialed in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for your answers. Don't misunderstand me, I love the bike and riding it, I just don't care much for the pain. I am sure if I follow the procedures you suggested, i'll be able to fix this. This plus a visit to my doctor should do it.

BR, Saso