Thread: kinda bummed

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

kinda bummed

i bought a new trail sl4 a couple weeks ago and i love the bike. the only thing bothering me is that in 2 days of ridding the cables wore the paint off to the frame in 3 spots. i understand what the bike is for and i beat the crap out of it. i have scratches that i earned and that doesnt bother me at all but for the left side of my $800 bike to look like total crap in a spot that is right in your face in 2 days......would that bother you guys? i use my toys and use them hard but also take pride in them and always make a effort to keep them nice as long as possible.

Tool
    The bike should have shipped with frame-saving clear stickers along with instructions to prevent this very problem. If the LBS failed to include either the stickers or the instructions when they delivered your bike, they should be willing to step up to the plate and make this right. While I don't think this warrants a frame replacement, perhaps they'd be willing to help out with getting it touched up, or perhaps give you some store credit to make up for it.

It's a good thing you posted. Cable rub, if unaddressed, can indeed destroy a frame.

In addition to the clear frame savers, I also use some loop side patches of Velcro. I use this in spots where the cables tend to slap the frame - not so much for any additional protection compared to the stickers, but to preserve my sanity by elimnating the noise caused by cable slap.

Good luck,
    Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Nice day for a ride.....
    I like the Lizard Skin carbon frame saver patches. They look bad @$$ and work great. My SL4 never came with protective stickers either, guess I should quiz the LBS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    i will be asking the shop i bought it from this week, i need to drop it off for my free tune up. i will be happy if they just put protector on it to make it look better. im just so confused that cannondale ships a product like that. imagine if you bought a new car and every time you open the door it scratches the fender....o well i will see what they do for me.

Tool
    That really falls squarely on the LBS' shoulders, although they can't really put the protectors on for you unless you agree not to adjust anything.

You can't blame C'dale because they only made the frame and shipped the parts to the LBS. The LBS assembled it, including cable routing. The manufacturer has no way to predict where the cables will end up rubbing the frame. However, the LBS also can't place the protectors with certainty because it's normal for owners to make adjustmets to new bikes, and those adjustments can greatly affect where the cables rub the frame. What the LBS failed to do was provide you the protectors and instructions.

The best method for determining where the protectors should go is to ride your new bike for a week or two to make sure you have the setup dialed in for you (particularly the bars, levers/shifters, and stem). Once dialed in, you'll be able to see exactly where the frame needs protection from the cables.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile View Post
    That really falls squarely on the LBS' shoulders, although they can't really put the protectors on for you unless you agree not to adjust anything.

You can't blame C'dale because they only made the frame and shipped the parts to the LBS. The LBS assembled it, including cable routing. The manufacturer has no way to predict where the cables will end up rubbing the frame. However, the LBS also can't place the protectors with certainty because it's normal for owners to make adjustmets to new bikes, and those adjustments can greatly affect where the cables rub the frame. What the LBS failed to do was provide you the protectors and instructions.

The best method for determining where the protectors should go is to ride your new bike for a week or two to make sure you have the setup dialed in for you (particularly the bars, levers/shifters, and stem). Once dialed in, you'll be able to see exactly where the frame needs protection from the cables.
    i hear what your saying, i just look at the bike and don't see anyway that they wouldn't hit. i have 3 cables touching the frame at all times. if the LBS routed them wrong, i would love to know that.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    All due respect? Get over it, get some of the protector patches, either from the LBS, the good folks at CrankSkins (they sell a great 20 mil protection pack for all the common rub areas on your bike, all pre cut in little useable chunks) or some soft loop side sticky velcro, apply it to the affected areas, and move on. Some paint will always be missing one way or another, it's a mountain bike, not a Mercedes. There's no blame, no one did anything "wrong".
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    wasn't freaking out buddy...nothing to "get over" just as is i said, just don't think that should happen.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm28 View Post
    wasn't freaking out buddy...
    Nope, you weren't, I guess I was more addressing the chorus of how someone should fix it for you, there's fault to be found, someone should make it right, etc etc etc.

It shouldn't have happened though? Nah, it happens all the time. Unless you have a super durable finish like powder coat, it's just paint, and cable rub happens, almost as soon as it leaves the shop. Which is why they have all these things to protect it.

All that being said, it's aluminum, it's not going to rust, and the rubs typically don't flake, so it's of little consequence unless it goes so long and gets ridden so.

Also worth noting, the rub patches do wear out too, don't take the makers to task because it shouldn't have happened either...
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I use electrical tape. Does it look great? Nope. It works great and I just add another piece when it needs to be replaced.