Thread: Killer V 900

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Killer V 900

Hi, I'm a newby here and was wondering if anyone could offer any suggestions of upgrades for a Cannondale Killer V.

I ran across this Cannondale Killer V from a friend that was in need of some quick cash. The bike feels a little small for me but didn't want to jump to an fast decisions to sell her yet base on what I've heard about the demand on these older bikes. Based on the crazy serial/model numbers that are extremely hard to read, I'm coming up that the bike is a 1994 Killer V 900 (polished aluminum) model.

Guess my first question is how do I "officially tell what the size is? There are no markings so I measured from the crank to the top of the seat post and it's roughly 16" I'm 5' 11''

Secondly, I'm really new to mountain biking and wondering if this is a good bike to get started on? The bike is currently set up with slimmer tires and a Blackburn rack as it was used primarily as a commuter for years. Again, I'm a newby to anything off the pavement so....

I think it has a few upgrades but don't really know for sure.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions! Posted some photos.

cvic
    Attached Images Attached Images          

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Yours looks like a '94...
    turn the bike upside down and check the numbers stamped on the BB area.On the left hand side will be 2 letters and a 6digit number
    E = 1993, F = 1994, G = 1995, H = 1996, I = 1997, J = 1998, K = 1999

A = January, B = Febuary, C = March, D = April, E = May, F = June, G = July, H= August, I = September, J = October, K = November, L = December
    eg FA=1994-jan

On the right is another number, IIRC the last 2 numbers represent the frame size, ie 15/17/19/21
    another way to tell is to measure the wheelbase with 15/17/19/21 respectively:-103.8/104.9/107.7/110.5cm
    hope that helps.

After ages spent looking around I have finally tracked down a 17" that I intend to restore, so i'm a Killer V fan myself....

Any bike is ok to start with(IMO) why spend loads of /$ on something you may not enjoy.Lose the rack and give all the cables a good clean/lube and do the same to the deraillers/shifters and chain.Depending on where you intend to ride, change the tyres.
    Make sure the bike is set correctly to your height-a quick tip is to sit on the saddle and place your heel on the pedal-adjust the saddle so that your leg is perfectly straight, the point being is when you move your foot so that the pedal axle is level with the ball of your foot-your leg is slightly bent.Adjust the saddle front to back so that your kneecap is perpendicular to the pedal axle.When you are sat comfortably, hold the handlebars and see where the brake levers are, if you need to bend your hand back or "overreach" to get to the brakes, adjust the lever position to somewhere that feels comfortable.Obviously this isnt an exact science, but dont be afraid to make slight adjustments to things.
    I hope these ramblings make some sense to you!
    Last edited by Doubleoseven; 01-23-2011 at 10:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks so much for the info. I found the numbers and it appears to be a 1994 built in September. Couldn't locate the other numbers regarding the size but the wheelbase is 15. Just feels too small for me. I think I may start looking for a 17 or 19 for myself. I really like the design and the aluminum frame is awesome. Been looking and these bikes seem really hard to find. Anyway, thanks so much for your help and getting me started in the right direction. Oh yeah....the rack has got to go!

cvic

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

That is a shiny Killer V

I have found that Simichrome worked wonders for my Killer V 900, make sure you use rubber gloves as anything that works that well is not good for ones body . See my pictures before and after

http://thepolishguy.com/category/simichrome/page/2/

I found this at my local harley davidson shop .

Can you take of pictures of your decals ? As mine are pretty shot up

Also your head tube is a 1.5 not the new stander of 1 1/8 so you are going to need a new fork and headset. Or you can go for a headshok not sure if you need to change out the head set. For Fork is a vintage Manitou bumper if it was like mine , so you can convert to springs I think , they are rare to find parts for, so if you have a good fork I would keep it on the shelf.

For stock cannondale parts the top of the line is a lefty mono shock , they are very sexy

http://killerv800.blogspot.com/2008_07_01_archive.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Killer V 900-killerv900.stock.jpg  

Killer V 900-killerv900.tlc.jpg