Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Killer V

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Killer V

Any old killer V's out there ? I am rebuilding mine and was wondering if any of you could post a pic or throw out some opinions on the Killer V's in general?

I have had mine almost 15 yrs and I love it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Not a Killer V, but it's a Delta V
    My understanding is that Killer Vs never came with the Headshok.
    '93 Delta V 700 with upgrades...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Killer V-001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Love the fade paint job. Mine has the 1 1/8 headset so I guess it is a killer . Nice bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've had my Killer V about 12 years I guess, though all that's left of the original spec is the front mech (Shimano STX, still going strong). I would have loved one with a headshok... that one above looks great. Mine is a small (14"?) which I used for jumps and trials, plus some XC with the saddle pushed right up.

This is mine in its current guise, I don't use it for anything big anymore. I'm thinking of putting a shorter stem on it, mainly because it looks pug-ugly with that one

I'm new here as well btw. Hello.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Killer V-imgp0814.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    wow, sweet. I have never seen one so small. I think the smallest one I have seen is 15 inches.That is the same color as mine. I am going to go with an anodized red powder coat. I think it looks sweet. I am also getting cannondale decals that look like carbon fiber.

Thanks for the pics everyone. Please keep em coming. I will post mine when I get finished

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I don't think I've ever seen another one so small either! It might be a 15" though, I'm not sure.

I got it cheap way back in 1998 or 1999 when it was already 'last year's model.' I guess I was one of the few to want one so small. They are great bikes though, I absolutely caned that one on jumps, trials, dual slalom, touring (with panniers!), and street for two years or more before I got an Azonic and it is still in one piece.

Your one sounds pretty cool. Are we going to get pictures? Where did you get the Cannondale decals from? The red is such a classic colour for Cannondales of that period, I wish the current range would offer some of the simpler block colours like the older models. Simple and classy!

Are you going to keep yours rigid or put a fork on? I have considered getting a short travel fork for mine just to take the edge off things, but I'm worried it will mess up the handling.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am going with a rigid carbon fiber fork. I got the decals from a guy in England , his store is Decal and Stickers made to Order. I am trying to get a really light weight build.I have carbon bars,seatpost,and fork.I also picked up some spinergy xyclones. I am shooting for around 20lbs. Alll the parts I have weigh in about 17 lbs. I am not sure what the frame weighs. I have to take off the crank(need a puller) and get it to a scale.I should be really close.I will try to post some pics later.
    If you get a fork, check on SASO. They make a carbon fiber susp. fork with around 65-80 mm travel.I think it is around $200. It will work perfect and its really light.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Here's my Killer V Single Speed I built...

I built this up a couple of months ago...an absolute blast to ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Killer V-killerv-ss.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    that is a beautiful ride
    I really like that color combo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
    Not a Killer V, but it's a Delta V
    My understanding is that Killer Vs never came with the Headshok.
    '93 Delta V 700 with upgrades...
    Hey - I have that exact same bike! Looks like you don't have the original fork, or painted it black maybe?

Not sure, but I think maybe Delta's all had 1.5" head tubes, while the Killers all came with the smaller (non-headshok compatible) head tube??
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    @jhbinal

Very nice. Is that the original colour? Very unique it seems to me. Also, did it come with disc mounts or have you got some kind of cunning adaptor going on at the back? I think I must have got one of the last ones without disc mounts

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexAbroad View Post
    @jhbinal

Very nice. Is that the original colour? Very unique it seems to me. Also, did it come with disc mounts or have you got some kind of cunning adaptor going on at the back? I think I must have got one of the last ones without disc mounts
    Not the original color...went to the powder coater and picked a stock color, looks even better in person. I used one of those A2Z adapters for the rear...it sucked, had to cut and do all sorts of mods to get it to fit...seems to work well enough though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am so jealous. I cant wait to get mine going.
    Nice bikes everyone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    A couple of mine... Mind you, one is technically an F1000.

1998 Killer V800
    It was originally Patriot Blue, but I stripped and polished it myself a few years back.

1999 F1000, original Purpleen paint (Purple/green flip)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sbarnhart View Post
    I am going with a rigid carbon fiber fork. I got the decals from a guy in England , his store is Decal and Stickers made to Order.

I guess that's Del-cals? He's one of the best for custom and repop decals. I've use him a few times myself, most recently on my 1985 GT Pro Performer build.
    Last edited by KillerV800; 06-29-2011 at 07:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    those are sweet. I love the polished look. Killer V's are such beautiful bikes.
    I wanted to go lefty, but I wasnt sure if it would throw off my geo. Guess not. I will have to get an adaptor for the 1 1/8 headset.Maybe in the future
    Any idea what they weigh? or what the frame alone weighs?
    I said it before but I am really jealous of all these nice bikes!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have a Killer V 500 polished aluminium with all original parts. I have used it infrequently over the last 14 years. Recently looking to either sell or upgrade it to more of a road bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I always wanted one of these! A KillerV with a Headshock. Unsure of the years. I'd like to know if the frame weight is any different to the DeltaV frame, anyone know?
    These links aren't mine so I hope I'm not breaking any rules... 1 day left on them and they appear darn cheap.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CANNONDAL...item2a11fe1258

and

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CANNONDAL...item2a11fe1b91

I wants it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    A slight diversion while we wait for sbarnhart's pics , does anyone know what the reasons behind the Killer/Delta V design were? I have never seen anything official from Cannondale but looking at them m guess would be having a long seat post tube but also having good standover height... or something.

Or is it just too look cool?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Do you have any more info on the A2Z adapter? Would love to have disks on my V.

mtbr member
    This is a Delta that I have put together. Bought a well used frame off ebay and picked up components here and there. Stripped the old paint and had it powder coated. It's a biy heavier than I'd prefer but I lover the ride and geometry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Killer V-dcam0055.jpg  

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by cebeas View Post
    Do you have any more info on the A2Z adapter? Would love to have disks on my V.
    The A2Z fits like doodoo....get one by brake therapy...much better design.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Has anyone replaced a headshock fork with a rigid fork. My local C'dale store has several peperoni forks but they are so much shorter than the headshock fork I am afraid the ride would be negatively affected. Actually I'm am sure the ride would be negatively affected.

mtbr member

Killer V / Delta V / M(with some number) / F(with some number), I LOVE THEM ALL!

This has to be the Coolest hard tail bike frame ever!
    I have a Delta V 700 and i just got a Killer V 900 HT that im going to build up with a Lefty DLR (2000).

From what i can tell this frame design has had different names over the years. Ive never been able to figure out Cannondales naming conventions. But what ever Name is decaled on the Frame, it's still my Favorite frame style.

The only difference between the "Delta" and "Killer" that i see is the way the seat stays meet the chain stays.

(Well, other than some having the 1.5 inch head tube and others having the 1&1/8 inch head tube's that is.)

(this is my first time posting so i cant post images yet)

From what i have learned from KillerV800's blog is the only frame that had disk mounts were the "F(with some number)" and i think thy only came in size small.

I see a few of you have installed adapters to get disk brakes to mount. I would LOVE to set up my bikes like this. not so much for the functionality of the disk brakes, (im happy with the way the v-brakes "work") but more so for the way thy LOOK.

I have placed some rear wheels that have a rotor on them in the rear drop outs and the rotor is RELY close to the stays. Too close for comfort. It look like the rotor is like only a few millimeters from touching the stays. on my 2007 Rush 4 the rotor is 10 Millimeters from the frame where on the killer V the rotor and frame are all but touching (2, maybe 3 Millimeters from each other).

Did any of you have to do something to the hub/wheel to get them to fit so the rotor is not too close to the frame?

If not how close do thy sit to each other?

I see that the A2Z adapter is frowned upon (some having to be modded to get to work) and that the Brake therapy seems to be the better option. i just don't care for the look of the Brake therapy with its long bar running up the side of the seat stay. (No offense KillerV800, your bike is gorgeous!)
    Im ok with having to mod the A2Z, my only worry is spacing the rotor away from the frame.

Oh, And giving that the brakes are kinda important for the safety of the bike, ( I like being able to STOP)
    I also want to have the confidence in them to work at least as well as the v Brakes and not mess up the frame. after all, it's these frames that i Love.

Other than the disk brake thing, what i have planed is first to build up the killer V.
    Im thinking to have it powder coated a flat black and do a Cannondale BadBoy kind of a thing with 3M reflective tape for the Cannondale logo/accents. Get the Lefty on there (once it gets back from Mendon cycle smiths) and slap on some fat knobbly tires. Depending on how that turns out i then want to do the Delta the same way but with road tires/gearing and maybe a rigid lefty.

Did i mention the only thing i like from Cannondale more than this frame style are the Lefty forks?

Now if Cannondale would only reissue this frame in a 29're...............

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

1993 Delta V SS

Here is mine, it is a Delta V as well. The frame is a '93 from what I could figure out and it has a circa '99 headshok. Set up as an around town/trails SS, I love it. Great thread, good to see others out there!

Last edited by Mamoulian; 09-25-2011 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Fixed Image

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast