Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Killer V

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Killer V

Why do 10+ year old Cannondale Killer V's go for such a premium on e-bay. They have old equipment (cantilever brakes, not even V brakes). I see them go fo upwards of $450 without much in the way of upgrades. Also, why do the polished aluminum frames go for a super premium? If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

ride more
    Mar 2007

?

good question I have often wondered the same.....

LA CHÈVRE
    I'm guessing the good old law of offer vs. demand explains it... And those polished Cannondales are like artwork so smoothe and shiny...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Retro Cannondale Addict

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I'm guessing the good old law of offer vs. demand explains it... And those polished Cannondales are like artwork so smoothe and shiny...
    Don't I know it! I'm almost done building one up. The very first thing I did was strip and polish it. I'll post some finished pics later. Oh, and I've been lurking for a few weeks now but just decided to post so there goes my cherry.

shut up and RIDE!
    Because they're worth it!
    '11 Surly Pugsley
    '07 Prophet 3
    96' Killer V 900ht
    04' F700sx
    '10 TommiSea Terrain Destroyer

shut up and RIDE!
    I think they were the best Hard tail that Cannondale ever had...
    '11 Surly Pugsley
    '07 Prophet 3
    96' Killer V 900ht
    04' F700sx

shut up and RIDE!

Killer V

Here's a pic of mine, still working on it here and there...

'11 Surly Pugsley
    '07 Prophet 3
    96' Killer V 900ht
    04' F700sx

Retro Cannondale Addict
    That Killer V looks real nice with a Lefty on it! How did you get it to work with 1 and 1/8?

mtbr member

Good job! 1.5" reduced to 1 1/8": Cane Creek reducing headset...

Cane Creek makes a nice reducing headset that seems to work very well, there are also adapters to do the same and then you use your headset of preference. Look at Cane creek website for Double XC headset.

I am in the process of upgrading my Super Vee 900 to a Marzocchi front shock and I will use the Cane Creek unit. I also have a set of adapters I will sell...I have $50 invested in them (I have the receipt). If you look at the thread "Post your Uber V!!!!!" you can see several different methods to reduce the headset and lots of pics....even a Lefty!!!???!!!.
    My LBS sales guy was nervous about fork swap & increasing front travel etc and didn't really wanna talk about it, but he did allow that C'dale builds a very strong front end on the frame so it should be able to take the mild abuse I will dish out. The wrench thought the whole idea was intriguing.

BTW...I understand that to remove the headshock unit you just have to remove the handlebar & stem and break out the ole BFH and pound the unit out the bottom. Haven't done mine yet...still gathering parts.

shut up and RIDE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogul218
    That Killer V looks real nice with a Lefty on it! How did you get it to work with 1 and 1/8?

I had the lefty from another bike, and took both to my favorite Bike shop, and asked: "Can you put this on here and make it work?"

Answer, "Of course".

all kidding aside, and I am not very technical (thank God for great bike mechanics), but I think the Killer V I have has a 1.5 headtube, because it came with a fatty headshok.

(NOTE- I may be wrong, I am NOT technical with this stuff)
    '11 Surly Pugsley
    '07 Prophet 3
    96' Killer V 900ht
    04' F700sx

mtbr member
    BTW...what frame is that? I don't recognize it.

mtbr member
    I've always wanted a killer v. i used to ride with a dude that had one in 97-98 or so.

Retro Cannondale Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by heartfixer
    BTW...what frame is that? I don't recognize it.
    Who me? It's a '95 Killer V 500 that I stripped and polished and re-decaled.

Retro Cannondale Addict

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79
    I've always wanted a killer v. i used to ride with a dude that had one in 97-98 or so.
    I'll trade you for one of those sweet Super V's or Ravens. Actually, I am looking for one in all seriousness. I need a frame only. I've got components.

mtbr member
    I'll trade you for one of those sweet Super V's or Ravens. Actually, I am looking for one in all seriousness. I need a frame only. I've got components.
    Sorry dude, I'm keeping my badass super v.

Uber V!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Don't I know it! I'm almost done building one up. The very first thing I did was strip and polish it. I'll post some finished pics later. Oh, and I've been lurking for a few weeks now but just decided to post so there goes my cherry.

How Did you go about stripping the old finish/paint off? Would like to do this with an older cannondale I have that is very similar to the Killer V. It is at my LBS right now but I think it is a 4000sl, tubing looks very similar and superlight.

Retro Cannondale Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug67
    How Did you go about stripping the old finish/paint off? Would like to do this with an older cannondale I have that is very similar to the Killer V. It is at my LBS right now but I think it is a 4000sl, tubing looks very similar and superlight.
    I got some paint stripper and steel wool from Home Depot. There is one that comes with a spray bottle. I applied to the whole bike, waited 10 minutes, then used a spatula and scraped the paint off. Then I did it like 2 or 3 more times on areas where the paint didn't strip all the way to the metal. Once all the paint was gone, I polished the frame with steel wool.

What's nice is now when you get scratches from the trail, you can buff them out with steel wool.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I got some paint stripper and steel wool from Home Depot. There is one that comes with a spray bottle. I applied to the whole bike, waited 10 minutes, then used a spatula and scraped the paint off. Then I did it like 2 or 3 more times on areas where the paint didn't strip all the way to the metal. Once all the paint was gone, I polished the frame with steel wool.

What's nice is now when you get scratches from the trail, you can buff them out with steel wool.
    I know htis thread is old but...does the frame not rust after you did that? I am a cannondale loyalist, but I have an old specialized p3 I got used...someone painted it over nad a lot of the paint has nicks and scratches. I initially wanted to repaint it...but realized it would be really expensive for labor (and removal of parts). Now I'm thinking maybe I can just strip it down like you while keeping all the parts still on it and it would look pretty cool.

Also, do you think this is doable with the handlebars and cranks as well? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It wont rust because its aluminum, not steel. Some clear coat over the frame, some leave it bare. You can also do it to your handle bars, cranks, hubs, stem, bar ends, etc.

mtbr member
    Dp!
    Last edited by WVBikr; 09-22-2009 at 04:30 AM.

mtbr member
    What size were the handlebars on the killer v's? I have a orange 700. Anyway to tell what yr model it is by s/n or anything?

mtbr member

93 Kv

Wouldn't ever part with it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg kv.jpg (289.6 KB, 2176 views)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by capefeartrailrider
    I think they were the best Hard tail that Cannondale ever had...
    I like the looks of the F series better. I had a Killer V, but it got ripped off. Bought a F900 SL frame w/headshok off ebay and rebuilt the bike. The Fatty Ultra is a better fork than the DD60 that came with my Killer V (the elastomer inside the spring doesn't last).

mtbr member
    I have a 94 Delta V HT that just got a fresh powder coat (black) and looks awsome. I have most parts needed to complete my build. Want to do a stealth (mostly black) look. I posted over in the wheel forum about going with all black wheels. Problem is that the rear will be a rim brake as I don't have the xtra cash to get a Brake Therapy conversion. Front is a disc (lefty). I don't like the black wheel/machined brake surface look. Any thoughts on how to keep it all black without having mucked up fading on the brake surface anyone?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I love mine,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast