mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Keeping Carbon Shiney??

Hey yall, any tips on how to keep my carbon frame as new looking as long as possible...Ive had my rush 2 for about 7 weeks now, and Its got lots of tiny abbrasion scratches from branches and whatnot...Now I dont really mine because Ive been riding it so much, but I just wanted to make sure there wasnt something I should/could be doing to keep it as new looking as long as possible...

mad aussie
    I actually finish off the frame clean with Pledge general surface cleaner, it gives a good shine and a nice lemon scent!
    It keeps the frame clean until I ride it again Then its back to dirty again. To be honest mostly I just clean off the drivetrain and relube is needed, I only clean now before races or if it gets really dirty.

Kevin

LA CHÈVRE
    I use mud to actually protect my frames finish.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    toothpaste?

i think i remember my mtbr bud Kam using toothpaste to bring some carbon to shine (i think on a carbon seatpost or cranks). i think he even used it on his mp3/ipod thingy's screen after it got crapped up in his jersey pocket after a long ride.

toothpaste has "micropolishers" so it kinda makes sense. and, you probably have some in the house so it won't be difficult to atleast try

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I found a product called "Gel Gloss" at the hardware store that works wonders. It's designed for fiberglass baths, showers, etc. so it is safe. It polishes, and puts a carnauba wax finish on it, for a great shine. Been using it for years on carbon, and aluminum. Good for when I want to Pimp my rides!

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    I have the sram pitstop 'ultimate bike cleaning kit' it works wonders on my six13, caad9 cross bike, and rush. the wax spray holds very well and just need to hose any dirt/mud off. other than that, id say pledge, we use it on all our bikes at the shop.

Like catnip for people
    Do like me.

Cover the frame with Clear Scuff tape. 3M has a few varieties... It will protect the frame from most damage and will look new for as long as humanly possible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    hey thanks guys, appreciate the help, i'll try pledge lol...never would have thought!!

also maybe the 3M tape for the toptube, which keeps getting scuffed somehow