mtbr member
    Jul 2009

K-force light crank loose on Flash 29er

Has anybody had this problem? The left crank arm of my K-Force light crankset keeps coming loose, despite refastening it as much as possible without making the BB30 feel stiff. My local Cannondale dealer has now removed a red spacer that was on the BB, refastened it. The BB now feels a bit stiffer than before (?overfastened).

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ruanlouw
    Has anybody had this problem? The left crank arm of my K-Force light crankset keeps coming loose, despite refastening it as much as possible without making the BB30 feel stiff. My local Cannondale dealer has now removed a red spacer that was on the BB, refastened it. The BB now feels a bit stiffer than before (?overfastened).

I believe they run a small "crush" washer on the crank which needs to be replaced each time you remove the crank. Acts like a lock ring

As this is an extra cost most either don't know or don't do it.

Now broadcasting from CO
    FSA's BB30 cranks tend to either loosen and come off, or tighten and completely blow out your bearings (had that happen once). I got some advice from a friend who works at C-dale customer support: soak the threads of the locking ring (the one you tighten to take the play out of the cranks) and the small 1.5 mm allen bolt in Loctite 242 (the blue threadlocker). Seriously, put as much on the threads as you can. Reinstall it and ride. I haven't had any problems since I did that a month or so ago. Good luck!
    Brought to you by rocks.