Thread: Just Wondering

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Just Wondering

I was just wondering but without knowing the model number before-hand, how can one tell the different model types between Cannondale Prophets?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bootman
    I was just wondering but without knowing the model number before-hand, how can one tell the different model types between Cannondale Prophets?
    Frames are all the same, within a given style that is. 4X frames are different, as are the SL's in Europe, but within those choices there are no frame differences. Model differences are based on components, rear shock, and fork upgrades. Is that what you are asking for?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

LA CHÈVRE
    The 4X and MX are the same, easy to spot, they have Thru-12 rear axles, ISCG mount tabs around the BB shell and a gusset under the downtube at the headtube junction. As far as I know, the other Prophets are all the same, even the SL. The SL just use a shock with a shorter eye-to-eye and shorter Lefties to reduce travel and lower the bike a bit...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Color can also be an indicator of what "trim level" you are looking at.
    The cannondale website lists what colors are available in the various trim levels, and there is a bike archive section so you can check the different years selections.

If you are looking at a specific bike, components + color and some poking around on the cannondale website should reveal the model.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    They also made some "in between" year models, I recently picked up a late 06 early 07 model from the owner of my LBS, he had ridden it 3 times. It's painted an 06 color and has components from both years. It's either a 4000 or a 1 but not marked either, so color can mostly tell you but not always.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Frames are all the same, within a given style that is. 4X frames are different, as are the SL's in Europe, but within those choices there are no frame differences. Model differences are based on components, rear shock, and fork upgrades. Is that what you are asking for?
    Yes, that hit the spot! I see now. Because when I looked at pictures of different Prophets, I always wondered whether there were differences in the frame or the components on the frame. Thanks for all the replies.