mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Just ordered XTR Lefty wheels

for my 2007 RUSH 1. I've got XTR brakes but I saw a reference here regarding the rotors. Is a Saint rotor the one that fits and is this a good or a bad thing? I just assumed there was an XTR rotor. If they ever make one I wonder if it will retrofit? Thanks for any input.

LA CHÈVRE
    Interesting....

The rear wheel can take a XTR Centerlock rotor fine... or a XT or LX... or even a 6 bolt rotor with an adaptor, the front one has a different interface, a bigger Centerlock. I assume it's a Saint sized Centerlock but I haven't seen anything official about it. And I'm not even sure a 160mm Saint rotor exists, it's not listed currently on Shimano's website... Maybe a rotor will come with the wheel? I wouldn't count on it since Shimano sells everything in single parts. I would try contacting Shimano on that one, and keep us posted, I may just get these wheels for my next bike, I'm tired to relube Crossmax freehubs every months.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    May 2007
    There are 160mm Saint rotors as a spare (with the large lockring), just saw them on Shimano homepage:

CODE: Y-8HU 98020
    Description: SM-RT80S Disc Rotor Unit ( 160 mm) / Oversized Center Lock

mnt bike laws of physics
    I would think that the saint rotor is lighter than the XTR since there is less mat'l being that the interface is larger which would also make it stronger.

The problem with the XTR wheels is the price. The guy at Shimano quoted me $1100 for the set. That is too much, although I would really like that XTR Lefty wheel.

And the Rotor is seperate...
    Last edited by yogiprophet; 11-05-2007 at 09:37 AM.

LA CHÈVRE
    Got more info on these wheels (wallyh3 may already know, did you receive the wheels yet?).

Technical details: The Saint 160mm rotor SM-RT80S is a bit heavy at 145gr (without the lock-ring I'm pretty sure). The Lefty front wheel comes with a proprietary lock-ring, probably a clearance issue with the hub non-driveside bearing so the Saint lock-ring that comes with the rotor can't be used. You also need the dedicated TL-LR20 tool to install the rotor, I assume it doesn't come with the wheel...

Here are the technical documents for the Lefty wheel: wheel diagram and spokes and rotor installation...

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Got more info on these wheels (wallyh3 may already know, did you receive the wheels yet?).

Technical details: The Saint 160mm rotor SM-RT80S is a bit heavy at 145gr (without the lock-ring I'm pretty sure). The Lefty front wheel comes with a proprietary lock-ring, probably a clearance issue with the hub non-driveside bearing so the Saint lock-ring that comes with the rotor can't be used. You also need the dedicated TL-LR20 tool to install the rotor, I assume it doesn't come with the wheel...

Here are the technical documents for the Lefty wheel: wheel diagram and spokes and rotor installation...
    That is a bit heavy...it must be thicker than the XTR rotor. The wheel itself is pretty damn light though.

Now you need a dedicated tool This is getting quite expensive...wheels + tool + rotor = $$$
    I am curious how much the Scalpel/Rush 2 models with the XTR set will go for.

Good work on the docs Dan

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Yes, thanks. Good info.

So is it a fact that rotors with the Lefty can't be XTR?

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by wallyh3
    So is it a fact that rotors with the Lefty can't be XTR?
    Fact, Saint rotors are the only that fit, available in 160mm (SM-RT80S) or 203mm (SM-RT80)... unless there are other rotors that use the Saint size Centerlock interface that I'm not aware of.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

You sure know your stuff.

Thanks

LA CHÈVRE
    Of course, that's for the front wheel only, the rear wheel should be a standard XTR wheel with the LX-XT-XTR sized Centerlock interface. And yes, the Saint 160mm rotor is heavyish at 145gr but then again, a 160mm XTR rotor is what, 135gr? Not much difference and Lefty front hub are often lighter than comparable QR front hubs...

Why do I know all this? Well, I'm wheel shopping right now!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Crossmax

Hi Dan

My Jekyll is beeing replaced by a Rush under the lifetime warranty and I want to buy a new wheelset for the next coming season. A Crossmax or a SLR wheelset would be my pick. Is the SLR freehub needs the same frequent lube?

LA CHÈVRE
    It still needs relubes but not as frequent as the pre-2007 SL...

mtbr member
    I built a Rush 2 with the XTR wheelset for a customer and we had to use a special, oversized tool for the front centerlock with the lefty hub

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i have a '12 scalpel 3 (lefty) with the stock sun ringle inferno wheel set and stock drive train (front sram x7/rear sram x9). i have changed brakes to shimano xt. debating new wheel set and was wondering carbon of some sort vs these xtr wheels. what would be the weight comparison between the stock/carbon/xtr? do i have to do anything to my set up to change to the xtr's? is carbon a good thing over these? or over stans? thx in advance for any advice. much appreciated.

Music & Bikes
    Anyone knows of a @ store who would sell front only XTR wheel ?

Looks like they are only sold in pairs......
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ