mtbr member
    Aug 2006

just looking at www.vintagecannondale.com...

it looks like they've had their hand slapped by the empire.

no longer able to supply decals!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    So, it'd be one thing if they were now providing all the decals, even for period resto's, but one can't even get a Lefty decal other than some generic version that's not at all period correct.

Very disappointed Cannondale, that is some seriously lame stuff there.

Edit: I'm sure that VC.com is a HUGE threat to their bottom line too.....

Nothing like slapping the hand of a fanboy, WTF?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    That is pathetic, I really do not like the way Cannondale are going, I will ride my old Cannondales into the ground then it may be time to move on. I already jumped on a LOOK roadie instead of getting Cannondale...

mtbr member
    It was only a matter of time before Dorel ruined C'dale like they did Schwinn, GT. etc etc. First a lackluster 2012 lineup, even worse initial launch 2012 website, and now this. My how the mighty have fallen.

Would be nice if the ex USA C'dale builders started up their own version of Weatherford/Gunnar.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    You guys are being a little dramatic. A company's gotta protect their trademark. Additionally maybe those stickers were ending up on non Cannondale frames and being sold on E-Bay? Suppose someone buys one thinking it's a Cannondale, then wipes out and tries to sue? What then? It's all part of protecting your interests. I am sure Mendon wouldn't like it if I started selling MendonCycleSmith hop up kits with no authorization or guarantee of quality.

Rather than spew additional hatred onto the already at max capacity internet you should try writing a courteous email to customer service asking for updated decal packages. I know for a fact that there are both black and white decal sheets in the system. A nice letter could only serve to get some more made. Just a suggestion.

-R

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bad ronald View Post
    You guys are being a little dramatic. A company's gotta protect their trademark. Additionally maybe those stickers were ending up on non Cannondale frames and being sold on E-Bay? Suppose someone buys one thinking it's a Cannondale, then wipes out and tries to sue? What then? It's all part of protecting your interests. I am sure Mendon wouldn't like it if I started selling MendonCycleSmith hop up kits with no authorization or guarantee of quality.

Rather than spew additional hatred onto the already at max capacity internet you should try writing a courteous email to customer service asking for updated decal packages. I know for a fact that there are both black and white decal sheets in the system. A nice letter could only serve to get some more made. Just a suggestion.

-R
    We both know and agree that we're at odds on most of this stuff, so I'm going to avoid a tit for tat with you on this and just respond once.

If someone really got so excited about my name, and used it to sell crap, it's simply an opportunity for me to do my job properly and maintain my good status. The cheapo Malaysian Lefty adapters are a good example. Some folks bought them, they sucked, said so, and found out about premium offerings from say P321, sure, more $, but way better. Buyer beware.

When some moron buys cheapo chinese made crap with my name on it (thinking it's from me), off ebay, rather than talking with me, well, I can't stop them, just help them when they realize their mistake. I'm just not a protectionist/OSHA/FDA approved/Lawyer signed off on kinda guy.....

You want to make a buck off my name, go right ahead, I'll still draw breath, and consider it a compliment.

Really though? Lawsuits over stickers? Any court that would even entertain a lawsuit against Cannondale, over someone buying a Magna with Cannondale stickers on it, (and subsequently hurt themselves with it), really needs to consider a different occupation.

Too many damn lawyers man, way too damn many. And they love nothing more than a guy who goes, "oh, really? They could sue me for that too? Okay, sign me up for that lawsuit protection plan too then"

Some stuff just goes too far, and telling someone that they can't sell old school versions of decals for restorations that folks want to do, is just a waste of time. I'm sure Cannondales lawyers were happy to charge for their time though......

I'm sure that CycleArt out in CA is getting cease and desist letters by now as well from all the old companies that they repop decals for customers bike refurbs.

Specialized would be so proud of Cannondale. Finally someone else who sues over inane things like "Stumptown", or the use of a single "S" on something.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Feb 2004
    Well I will state that my response wasn't to get you going on an anti lawyer / corporation rant but rather to remind you that if you ask nicely for things you can often get them. Maybe the guy at Vintage Cannondale got the generic cease and desist form letter. I have no idea...but instead of vilifying the company had he asked why he got it or stated his position of why it was no big deal there may have been some understanding...Just saying...

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Most companies give away stickers in the hopes of building brand recognition and loyalty. Whoever made this decision at Cannondale doesn't understand marketing 101 very well...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    vintage cannondale is a valued resource to many enthusiasts and to cannondale! it is run on a shoestring - relying on donations and support in kind. i guess the owners of the c'dale brand do not care for its heritage, they do not want people restoring their past - for them itís all about the $$$. so to write a begging letter for a set of 1999 yellow decals, jog on! itís not worth my time, the ink or the paper itís written on. just saying...

Feb 2004
    Well I went for a bike ride instead of a jog and when i got back I wrote an email to the GM of Cannondale. Lets see what happens. Maybe nothing, maybe something.