mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Just got 2008 F5 and love it like a brother I never had.

Any tips on improving the ride, equipment flaws etc etc,

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    On my F4 the first upgrades, seatpost, grips, saddle and brakes

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If you have to upgrade a brand new bike....then you bought the wrong bike.

One bad mother trucker
    Quote Originally Posted by apacherider
    If you have to upgrade a brand new bike....then you bought the wrong bike.
    That is the stupidest generalized statement I have ever heard.
    Instead of espousing your nonsense on here, get off your fat rear and
    ride your bike.

Anyone has the right to what ever they want to the bike they bought.
    I prefer to build up my own than buy. But that can cost more than buying and upgrading.

Apacherider needs to shut his pie hole unless he can bring something positive to the table.
    [SIZE="3"]Until mountain biking, the bike scene was ruled by an elite cadre of people who seemed allergic to enthusiasm.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Items such as grips and saddle are very personnel things.
    Saying i shouldn't have bought the bike as i didnt like them is daft, for not a lot i fitted a thomson post, fizik gobi saddle, odi ruffian grips now NO bike i know has comes with those as spec in the same price bracket.
    I havent changed the brakes yet but its a future plan so all my bikes will run the same.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by johnson430
    That is the stupidest generalized statement I have ever heard.
    Instead of espousing your nonsense on here, get off your fat rear and
    ride your bike.

Anyone has the right to what ever they want to the bike they bought.
    I prefer to build up my own than buy. But that can cost more than buying and upgrading.

Apacherider needs to shut his pie hole unless he can bring something positive to the table.

1/2 the threads here are people with new bikes asking:

Is this bike OK?
    Did I buy the right bike?
    I got an awesome deal on my bike, but now need to change 1/2 the parts on it.
    What parts need to be changed on my new bike?

Etc. Etc. Etc.

If you buy a new bike and find that your new bike is lacking in alot of areas then you bought the wrong bike. This message board is littered with people who spend $700-800 on a bike then blow another $600-700 trying to fix everything that is wrong with it. Heavy wheels, cranksets are the usual suspects.

I do not really care though. Most people who post here rarely ride their bikes once the newness has worn off.

I have only managed to get in 13,000 miles for 2007. I'm slacking.

mtbr member
    i don't care about miles, only smiles.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

By far ...

Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79
    i don't care about miles, only smiles.
    the best line I've read in a while!

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    I have only managed to get in 13,000 miles for 2007. I'm slacking.
    Who gives a damn? The guy asked a question. If you really don't care, as you say, then why did you bother to post? TWICE?

And shouldn't you be on your bike, rather than trolling an internet forum?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister 18 posts
    Who gives a damn? The guy asked a question. If you really don't care, as you say, then why did you bother to post? TWICE?

And shouldn't you be on your bike, rather than trolling an internet forum?
    If I wanted to be a jerk I would have pointed out than an F5 with a Taiwanese frame and a low end Rock Shox fork is not even a "real" Cannondale.

Which is a true statement by the way.

PROVE ME WRONG

Go ahead.

Apacherider,

Has more Cannondales in his garage than your LBS has on the showroom floor

mtbr member
    If I wanted to be a jerk I would have pointed out than an F5 with a Taiwanese frame and a low end Rock Shox fork is not even a "real" Cannondale.

PROVE ME WRONG

Go ahead.

Apacherider,

Should we be impressed?

mtbr member

08 F5

I just got an 08 F5 as well and I am really enjoying it, even if it is from Taiwan, still has great Cannondale feel. First thing I replaced was the saddle with a WTB Pure V and then the pedals with Time Atac Z's. Also put a set of Maxxis Crossmarx on for the commuting I do while not giving up the ability to ride some trails on the commute. The rest of the parts are perfectly fine for quite a few miles, will replace with better when they break. The WTB speed disc rims are surprisingly good for the price range of the bike I think.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Well, if you're keeping it stock, the main things would be making sure the fork is running the right amount of sag, keeping things maintained, staying out there and riding it, and so on. If we're talking upgrades, the first thing I would change would be the fork and then possibly the brakes, shifters, wheelset and so on, as you wish. Really, just riding it will give you a better idea than anything else.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

PROVE ME WRONG

Go ahead.

Apacherider,

Talk about some elitist bullsh*t. So let me get this straight, if i were to buy a Subaru Legacy that was built in Indiana and not Japan that wouldn't be considered a "real" Suabru? Is that how this works?

One bad mother trucker
    I am so glad to hear that people are enjoying the F5 series. I am serious looking at Cannondales, as I have moved to a small town for grad school and there is limited LBS selection: Cannondale, Giant, Trek, Haro, Felt.

The F5 is made in Taiwan, big deal. Most all bike frames are now made in some large factory in China or Taiwan. What is the big deal with where a frame is made?

You got a bike with Sram components, AWESOME, even if they are the lower end.
    I would take SRAM over Shimano any day.
    And you should be very happy with the Dart 3, from what I know, it is a great XC fork.
    I am thinking of putting off a build and getting an F3 or F4.
    Unless I should save some $$$ and settle for an F5, anything would be an upgrade over my 96 Schwinn Moab.
    Any suggestions?
    [SIZE="3"]Until mountain biking, the bike scene was ruled by an elite cadre of people who seemed allergic to enthusiasm.[/SIZE]

One bad mother trucker
    I

PROVE ME WRONG
    Go ahead.

Apacherider,

OK, I will call your bluff.
    Please post photos of your Cannondale stable.
    And at 13000 miles this year, you should be super cut, why not gives us some photos of your great physic while your at it.

By the way,I have two bikes
    A 96 Schwinn Moab and a mid 80's Fuji Allegro steel road. No shame here.
    The truth, my friend came up this weekend with his new Orbea with Centaur group(He works at a bike shop and built a 2000 bike) and I blew his ass away on the 26 mile ride.
    Then, the very next day, I met a guy on the local trail with a $1800 Intense F/S frame with SRAM XO(he bought on MTBR), he could barely keep up with me on my rigid fork HT, I had to slow down for him several times. After the ride, I was talking to him about his high dollar bike compared to my Frankenbike and he confessed honestly, "It's not the bike, it's the motor."

Bottom line, you can have the nicest bike in the park but that doesn't mean you have the skill to ride it.

Johnson

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    [QUOTE=johnson430]The F5 is made in Taiwan, big deal. Most all bike frames are now made in some large factory in China or Taiwan. What is the big deal with where a frame is made?[QUOTE]

That's exactly the big deal....MOST frames are currently made in China. If all the frames (no matter what brand) are made at the same factory by the same people and all look the same (except for the paint)....wouldn't that be a boring world; if we leave it up to the businessmen, this is what will happen. We have to speak up with our wallets if we want to preserve choice.

One bad mother trucker
    [QUOTE=steadite][QUOTE=johnson430]The F5 is made in Taiwan, big deal. Most all bike frames are now made in some large factory in China or Taiwan. What is the big deal with where a frame is made?

That's exactly the big deal....MOST frames are currently made in China. If all the frames (no matter what brand) are made at the same factory by the same people and all look the same (except for the paint)....wouldn't that be a boring world; if we leave it up to the businessmen, this is what will happen. We have to speak up with our wallets if we want to preserve choice.
    I think this is preserving choice.
    The choice to spend less money on a bike per where it is made.
    I am reminded of the gas problems of the 70's when the US turned towards Japan(Toyota/Honda) for automobile solutions. Now, the US bike market, or lack there of, has driven most all US bike companies to resort to overseas production.
    There is a growing margin of cost difference between American made bikes and Asian made.
    In these tough times, my wallet dictates getting the most bike for my buck. PERIOD.
    That is preservation of choice, how I spend my money is my choice.

Having bikes produced in the same place is not the Orwellian travesty you make it out to be.

Who gives a flip if they are made by the same place, if made well.
    Wouldn't that be a good thing?
    Especially if the factory had the best production machinery and technology in the world. That isn't "boring" that is innovation. I'm only speaking about mass produced bikes anyway. I think you took my statement the wrong way. I am all for US made bikes and it think it is great if people have the money to afford them. I am not one of those people.

A frame is a frame is a frame.
    It is more about the "motor" and the components than the frame.

Johnson

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I recently bought an F7 and I asked what is the story with the low end cannondales not being made in USA. He said that yes the bikes aren't made in the US anymore however, the inspectors that use to work in the US were shipped over seas. A welder is a welder. What counts in the person inspecting the welds. I agree though, why buy a new bike only to upgrade it. If you don't like a part on the bike, talk to the shop and I am sure that you guys can work something out an swap parts while you throw in a little extra cash. I have a Giant Boulder Se(DON'T BUY IT). My next bike is either a Cannondale F4 / F3 or Specialized Rockhopper 29er.