mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Just bought a Rize 3 after a 15 year hiatus-looking for help.

I just bought a Rize 3 and thoroughly enjoy it even though I am still struggling to understand how to set up the suspension rebound. I have a couple of questions.

What handlebar would be recommended to get a little more rise. I am finding an undo amount of strain on my triceps and believe I need to be a little more upright. Also my wrists are killing me.

I weigh about 180lbs. I was wondering what pressures people around my weight are running in their rear shock and lefty fork? Also, how does one optimize the rebound setting?

Finally, I am having problems with numbness from my saddle(the scary kind). I am currently using a specialized phenom gel 143mm. I have it tilted slightly down at the nose. I am fine except for extended climbs. I also believe the seat is still too narrow and would like recommendations for a slightly wider seat with the center relief that will help with the numbness.

Finally, I have an older cannondale hardtail with an early Rock Shox Judy fork (I believe 50 or 63 mm of travel). I would like to upgrade the fork to an 80 of 100mm. Thoughts on this would be appreciated. I am comfortable buying used, and would like to know of any forks to watch out for. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hwcn
    I just bought a Rize 3 and thoroughly enjoy it even though I am still struggling to understand how to set up the suspension rebound. I have a couple of questions.

What handlebar would be recommended to get a little more rise. I am finding an undo amount of strain on my triceps and believe I need to be a little more upright. Also my wrists are killing me.

I weigh about 180lbs. I was wondering what pressures people around my weight are running in their rear shock and lefty fork? Also, how does one optimize the rebound setting?

Finally, I am having problems with numbness from my saddle(the scary kind). I am currently using a specialized phenom gel 143mm. I have it tilted slightly down at the nose. I am fine except for extended climbs. I also believe the seat is still too narrow and would like recommendations for a slightly wider seat with the center relief that will help with the numbness.

Finally, I have an older cannondale hardtail with an early Rock Shox Judy fork (I believe 50 or 63 mm of travel). I would like to upgrade the fork to an 80 of 100mm. Thoughts on this would be appreciated. I am comfortable buying used, and would like to know of any forks to watch out for. Thanks!
    First, good bike choice

the handle bar can be done 2 ways, more stem rise or hi rise bar. I recomend the Easton Monkey lite XC (hi rise). the CNT carbon gig is noticeably better and dampening those vibrations. On the stem side, you probably have a 5 deg stem. You can get a 20 deg SI stem/steerer for $80-90 or so. I'm not sure if yours has an SI stem stock or not. Either way, you have a choice.

Now, you do have to get use to riding again and the correct body position is important. The LBS you got he bike from should have gave you a bike fit. You could need a more detailed fit to get you comfortable. The Spec saddles are good. I use them. If you still have issues, got to a Specialized dealer and ask about their BG fittings. They cost you 100-300, but are worth it. There are other places that do fittings, but they can be hit and miss. Spec get the LBS to do some kind of course or something.

Rebound on the Lefty should be set to wide open (fast) or close to it. As new rider, you want the bike to return back as fast as possible so you arent over the bars. Once you get the feel for the bike, you can tweak.

As for the pressure, add 20% to Cdales recommendations. That is what worked for me on that Lefty. But, bring your shock pump the first 5 rides or so to tweak as you go.

the rear shock rebound should be the middle of the "click" range. So, 10 total clicks, put it at 5. For the rear you want the shock to come back, but not too fast that it pushes you forward too much. If you have it set to slow, you skid your rear tire more because your shock is not putting it back down on the dirt fast enough.

I'm 180 in the gear on my rize and I run my RP23 at 175 for most things.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.