mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Just bought Badboy Ultra and spotted problem.

Hi everyone, just had my Badboy Ultra for just over a week and love it, but while I was about to attach some aircraft tape around the bottom bracket for preventative measures should chainsuck occur I spotted that this. The black finish looks like it is missing and you can see around an inch and a half of grey primer (see left side of bottom bracket).

What should I do? Is it covered by warranty ie send the bike back or will Cannondale send a touch up stick to the bike shop to repair, presuming it is a paint finish.

Any comments would be very appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I cannot quite see what you are referencing, but I do believe that you are concerned about the bare aluminum or primer that may be exposed during the facing of the BB shell. If so, that is quite normal, and it is actually an ideal setup. This perfectly flat face allows for proper installation of the BB without excess paint in odd places.

+

= faced BB.

JAH

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Were the finish is missing is not directly connected to the bottom bracket and I fully understand what you are say. Hopefully this picture will show it better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Well, it will not rust, so I would simply color it in with a black sharpie (permanent marker), but then again, I did not just pay for this bike. See what Cannondale or your dealer says.

From here, it still looks like it may have occured during the facing of the BB shell. I cannot tell what plane the bare spot is on (same plane as the shell?).

JAH
    Last edited by xJAHx; 02-04-2008 at 07:58 AM.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    There are cups placed into the bb shell to prevent paint from contaminating the threads. More than likely it is just a holiday that formed when the paint spray was deflected by the bb cup. A touch up kit would take care of that no problem. Show it to your dealer and they can set you up. Or you could use a marker like someone else said. Either way, the frame is not compromised so there is not worry of any issues for years and years to come.

-R

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I think that is the problem what you have said in the spraying stage, still at 1149 for the bike I expect better, after all don't Cannondale pride themselves on their frames?
    Thanks all...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Used a matt black paint stick from my automotive accessory place. Thanks for all your help guys.
    Last edited by mrwibble; 02-05-2008 at 08:53 AM.