7hz
    Old newbie

Jumping a Caffeine?

Wondering what everyone things about getting air on a Caffeine / Headshok? Not masses, but I was at Glentress today doing runs like Spooky Wood and was wondering about the steep, rocky drop-offs (especially the three at the begining). I bypassed them this time (lack of skill + balls more than anything), but is the bike up to doing them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 7hz
    Wondering what everyone things about getting air on a Caffeine / Headshok? Not masses, but I was at Glentress today doing runs like Spooky Wood and was wondering about the steep, rocky drop-offs (especially the three at the begining). I bypassed them this time (lack of skill + balls more than anything), but is the bike up to doing them?
    As long as you are.

7hz
    Old newbie
    Well, ok, lets say I work on it and can do the jumps. Is the Caffeine ok for doing them on? I mean, I bought this as an XC bike, not an all mountain or whatever, y'know?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you are over 200 , I wouldn't put a lot of air on this frame , althought I don't think it will crack now , but you are going to shorten the life of your new expensive rig by using it for jump and hard landing.

If you like jumping or hucking over tall rocks , you should have pick up a prophet , a rush or a a chase frame , those are much better in catching air and landing too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 7hz
    Well, ok, lets say I work on it and can do the jumps. Is the Caffeine ok for doing them on? I mean, I bought this as an XC bike, not an all mountain or whatever, y'know?
    The caffeine is much stiffer than a competition xc bike.
    you can't go big on a caffeine, but you can jump small jumps, drops and tables.
    when I said "as long as you are", I also meant that if you can use your body and be smoother to absorb and ease some of the impact.
    however, if you're big boned, I'd recommend getting a tougher bike.

7hz
    Old newbie
    Thanks! I am 189 pounds ATM (want to loose about 14 pounds, hence the bike!). I didn't buy this bike to do jumps with, and didn't think I would want to, but having a shot on that run I posted made me think that some airtime would be nice, if I can get my skills back up to that stage (am really a bit old to be jumping about on bikes, but hey :-)

This is the specific drop off I want to ride. Maybe doesn't look much there, but seems bigger up close!:

7hz
    Old newbie
    dupe post - please delete - what's going on with these forums
    Last edited by 7hz; 10-17-2007 at 03:40 AM. Reason: dupe post - please delete

7hz
    Old newbie
    dupe post - please delete
    Last edited by 7hz; 10-17-2007 at 03:39 AM. Reason: dupe post - please delete

He who follows his heart.
    Glad to see some pics of Glentress on here
    Whilst not knowing much about the Caffeine (and hence not offering advice on it), I have ran Spooky Woods umpteen times, both in it's present format, and when it was loose rock and roots. On my steel Voodoo hardtail, the first three rocky areas are fine - and that's me running 100mm front forks and 1.9's. You weigh about the same as me, and whilst I'm not getting 10ft airs off them, I still do a fairly decent attempt. The Voodoo is now approaching 10 years old, and is still in one piece - surprising considering the battering it's had over the Black run and most of the Highlands!
    As yules said, I suppose at the end of the day, a large part of it will come down to rider style, and how much impact is absorbed by the rider and how much passed onto the bike.
    Good luck whatever you decide to do!