mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Judge rear wheel options?

G'day All

Pick up my new (pristine condition second hand) Judge next week.

List of priorities for upgade include:

1. New wheel set to replace the Mavic 521/hub set (a bit light weight for a non racing plough boy like me)
    2. Get the DHX5 Coil and Boxxer WC's Pushed (from all reports this is brilliant)
    3. Bling coloured anno bits (to match 4 below)
    4. New powdercoat on the frame. (Yellow or white????)

Q1 - New Wheels - the current set up has the floating brake set-up. Can anyone confirm that this means the rear hub will be a 135x10 (or 12?). I will be ordering new wheelset online (ChainReaction in the UK or simlar - i'm from Aussie). Please confirm that i will also need a longer through axle (than the one supplied with a 135mm hub) in 10 or 12mm?

Thanks guys.

At some stage i'll try to get an action shot or two onto the Judge Photo thread (gotta love the DHL Yellow one - i still drool over that)

Cheers,

Iain
    Last edited by jawry; 02-17-2010 at 09:54 PM.

unemployed team mechanic
    May 2008
    135x12. you can swap back to a 150 x12 (no floating brake) by replacing the non drive drop out.
    I work on bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Iain,

The axle is a 12mm that is standard on the judge. If you have a 135mm hub on the bike then there will be a spacer against the side of the hub........ you will notice this when you take the wheel off. In terms of hubs, I would recommend a Hope Pro II hub. They are available in 150mm and 135mm and you should be able to get it through chain reaction or similar. I have a Hope Pro II 135mm hub on my Prophet right now and it has seen a fair bit of action but havne't bothered replacing the rear hub on my judge yet.

If your going to give the Judge a lot of abuse you are probably best going with the 150mm hub, but in doing this I believe that the floating rear break will need to go. You do not need to replace the thru axle though!

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yup, thru12 for both. Keep in mind that the 135mm rear wheel with the brake link is off set to the left so it sits dead center in the frame. Personally i would scrap the brake link to save weight as it has according to some very limited influence in the scheme of things. I run my judge without one and can't say that i miss it. If i were you then first try it with the link with the current wheel then borrow a 150mm wheel and try it without. Do this before ordering a new wheel, so you get the set up you want and prefer.

for the powdercoat thing, i would go for a livlier color than white and i personally do not really like the yellow one - but then we are all different eh Whatever floats yout boat. The same goes for the ano parts that easily goes from stylish to plain tacky.

i would personally build a hope pro2 attached to either 721s or 823 depending on your style - the 823 being the more bombproof of the two. Personally i've run 721 and can't really fault them, but recently made the switch to the new deemax and deemax ultimates to save some weight.

pushing the suspension is prob a good way to go to have it tuned to your weight, bike and preferences, though it costs a little bit.

congrats with picking up a great bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks

Cheers for the words of wisdom guys.

You are why MTBR.com is at the top of my favourites list.

Yeah, white or yellow????? - perhaps fire engine red or a good strong orange would suit her better??

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    hm, fire engine red might be the way to go or crc blue. Dunno., white is a bit plain imo. Better to make a one of a kind color way imo - though a gloss white might look good (though, can powdercoated frames be glloss?dunno).

for other colors, check out these two pics of the van dine brothers bikes (top and bottom - also notice how neither of em uses the brake link though it could be the right thing for you ):

i know there's a better pick of the bike of a girl who rode on the same team, but can't find it.

Edit; found it - though smaller than i hoped

this guy prob wanted a 951, but owned a perp nice color though

and last but not least CVD judge in all raw. Almost got it that way, but wanted a black front so went for a variation of a the cut graphic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Judge rear wheel options?-cimg4166.jpg  

Last edited by klinkekule; 02-20-2010 at 09:13 AM.