Thread: judge

mtbr member

judge

thinking about getting a judge
    anyone know what their like
    good bikes or bad
    thanks

mtbr member
    Prophet here has one; as I imagine many others. Just ordered an '07 myself after having done a test/demo ride a few weekends ago. Seem like sweet bikes; good DH geometry, sturdy, and fast. Single pivot simplicity. Lots of travel. Mick Hannah wins races on one.

P.S. Writing in the Cannondale forum here you're naturally going to get biased views, so you may want to ask around elsewhere as well.

mtbr member
    If you want speed then the Judge is the tool for that, it might be on the heavy side of the scale compared to other bikes but when it gets going then it realy inspires confidence, also the cornerning of the bike is realy something out of a dream even compared to his brother the Perp.

mtbr member
    I ride a Judge DH since 2006 and I have to say - it's a killer bike ! Nimble, fast good cornering and even climbing. I've done super D races with it and the bike never let me down ! In Europe it has been very well reviewed by the press. With 64 headangle its slack but not too much ! You won't be dissapointed if you buy one !

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Two seasons on the judge and nothing to say! Best dh bike i have ridden. With some attentions it'is also a light bike. Mine is 18 Kilos.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Had mine for 4 months. Took it up to Whistler during Crankworks and had a blast. Funny thing mine was the only Judge I saw till I ran into the employees from Cannondale druing Crankworks.

The bike is a rocket pointing downhill.

mtbr member
    It is amazing how rare Judges are in the DH & bike park circuit. Never saw one at Northstar this summer. And I almost never see racers with 'em. Demos, Giants, and Bullitts seem to grow off trees in northern California; weird because Cannondales are otherwise somewhat popular (XC, road). It seems more of a marketing thing; the brand is simply not part of the DH/FR vocabulary. But I would easily put a Judge up against the top DH bikes (i.e. Sunday) and a Perp up against the top FR bikes; at least concerning geometry, specs, and value.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

My Judge FR2

I ride a judge and I have to say it's the best DH bike I've ridden to date. Stock the bike came in around 43 lbs, so that's pretty light for a bike that's the 3rd model down from the top. It's super fast, plush, and corners on rails. I miss my old freeride bike for super tight turns (steeper head angle) but this bike kills it on everything else.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    finally i have a judge(i have the gold color one, is this the FR?, is there a difference w/ the team replica DH?) ! but i have yet to try it some more, although so far so good and i wanna ask anybody if its necessary that i have to put a brake theraphy?

mtbr member
    Hey good choice anyway ! The golden one is the 06 model and it's the FR-version. the frame is identical like the DH version except the brake link, which isn't neccessary. for instance Mick Hannah does not use the brake link while Chris van Dine is using it. when you'll go for the brake link be aware that you'll also might need another rear hub. with brake link: 135mm, without: 150mm. But better ask your local dealer !!!
    Ride on !

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini
    Hey good choice anyway ! The golden one is the 06 model and it's the FR-version. the frame is identical like the DH version except the brake link, which isn't neccessary. for instance Mick Hannah does not use the brake link while Chris van Dine is using it. when you'll go for the brake link be aware that you'll also might need another rear hub. with brake link: 135mm, without: 150mm. But better ask your local dealer !!!
    Ride on !
    If you're good you don't need the brake link. I'm a hack so I need it. You do need a 135mm on a bike with the brake link that needs to be specially dished to fit the Judge.

Unit 91
    The Judge is a fun, fast bike. Very comfortable at speed and loves air time.

Lets see pictures of your Kevin G!!!
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Prophet> For sure soon; it's all stock now - will post some when I get my upgrades done. Can't wait to ride it this weekend! Unfortunately Northstar is closed for the season so I'll be hitting my local non-lift trails. But at Annadel there are some sweet gnarly rocky sections so I can test the suspension. Need to get a hitch rack for my truck - this beast is too heavy to put on the roof! So did you decide if you're getting a Perp?

Unit 91
    No more Perp for this season. Keeping the Judge until next season. Finally avoided flats at my favorite resort this weekend.
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Nice - the Judge is a sweet ride and it doesn't get much better than that.

You ride at Diablo right? Need to make it out there one of these days. NorCal bike park season is already over. I'm going to use the off season to get used to my Judge and will do upgrades before next summer hits.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    Need to get a hitch rack for my truck - this beast is too heavy to put on the roof!
    Why you're afraid of your car roof? when I hit the trails with my brother my roof receives the load of both Perp and Judge with no problems whatsoever. (I just do some extra lashing of the bikes on the rack just in case).

Unit 91
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    Nice - the Judge is a sweet ride and it doesn't get much better than that.

You ride at Diablo right? Need to make it out there one of these days. NorCal bike park season is already over. I'm going to use the off season to get used to my Judge and will do upgrades before next summer hits.
    Yea, I have hit Diablo 4 times this season and once more coming up. Its a good place. I need to make it out west and sample the riding out there.

Dont be afraid of a roof rack. I have the Thule Sidearm, and in my opinion its the safest, most versatile roof rack ever. It holds the Judge realllll nice.
    Bikes

mtbr member
    It's not that I'm afraid - I use an Xterra for my bike trips (see image below) so it's already high off the ground, and putting a 40+ pound bike up there isn't easy. I have the Yakima High Roller which fits big bikes, but you have to hold the bike in place while you secure it - not easy while balancing up on the truck! My 35 pound Prophet isn't a problem, but the Judge is a bit harder.

Northstar is stepping it up next season, if you make it out west be sure to check it out! We also have Mammoth not too far away; although I've yet to ride there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Unit 91
    Ive got friends in Frisco, CO so thats most likely where I would be. I dont believe its to far from Keystone.
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Nice - Keystone looks killer.