Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Joined the Cannondale Family Today....

My wife and I were looking for new FS bikes as we have pushed our Hardtails as far as we wanted to and we wanted new toys.....who doesn't right? We looked at Specialized FSRs, Mykas and Safires along with Santa Cruz Blurs etc. and today we purchased a 2007 Rush Femine 2 for my wife and a 2008 Rush 4 for me. Our local LBS gave us a great deal on the combo and we are psyched......test riding in 18 degress will be memorable as well.

Before hers leaves the LBS we are thinking of upgrading to the single piece steerer tube and new wheels to get to the 27-28lbs area since the Rush Feminine 2 is weighing in at 30lbs.

Any suggestions for weight savings? We were thinking of Mavic Crosstrail or Crossrides in the $200 range along with the steerer tube. Oh yeah, and the seat with the butterfly on the arse....it will be replaced ASAP as well.

Were looking forward to being enjoying the heck out of the Cannondales......

Steve

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Alot of people say that the crosstrails aren't nearly as good value as the crossride wheels, so unless you need UST, I'd go with either the crossrides, or maybe FSA xc-300 ($250-$350 usually). Actually, I'd probably put all the upgrade money into a new set of wheels and tires, that's where it will be most noticeable. Either that, or have the shop just get her a Rush Fem. 1 (or an '08 Rush 2)

mtbr member
    Nice, you are going to have a great time ripping it up. When my wife got her first fs bike this past summer (Rush 5), she got roughly twice as fast and is twice as courageous on descents. fficeffice" />>>
    >>
    Welcome to the family of people that were able to look past the hype of all those ffice:smarttags" />lace w:st="on">Taiwanlace> made bikes.>>

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the feedback, I have the crossrides on my hardtail and have nothing bad to say about them. I think we'll wait and see with the seat for her......she just hates anything "girly" and I don't tend to argue with her when she is willing to ride with me...

The LBS is actually very solid from a service and price perspective and they actually argue back and forth with the gram per $ savings of all changes.......what else are you going to do when bored I guess. They highly recommend changing out the current stem combo for the single piece for the weight savings bang for buck.

The 2008 Fem 1 is $2800, I won't even tell you what we stole the 2007 Fem 2 for.......less than half that.

Steve

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by River19
    Thanks for the feedback, I have the crossrides on my hardtail and have nothing bad to say about them. I think we'll wait and see with the seat for her......she just hates anything "girly" and I don't tend to argue with her when she is willing to ride with me...

The LBS is actually very solid from a service and price perspective and they actually argue back and forth with the gram per $ savings of all changes.......what else are you going to do when bored I guess. They highly recommend changing out the current stem combo for the single piece for the weight savings bang for buck.

The 2008 Fem 1 is $2800, I won't even tell you what we stole the 2007 Fem 2 for.......less than half that.

Steve

does her bike not have a Rockshox Recon on it? I don't understand what you mean by one-piece steerer. I was looking at http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/c...del-7VMW2.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Compare weights of components

Check out this site of component weights and do some comparisons so that you have a better idea where you can save some weight: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Crazylax

Hers has a Lefty as well...........no RockShox there.

The one piece tube is a combined stem and downtube I guess, mine has it, hers has a two piece that is a chunky in the weight dept.

The Fem 2 was 30lbs on the scale. We're hoping to get closer to 28ish lbs with some mods.

Steve

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hers has a Lefty as well...........no RockShox there.

The one piece tube is a combined stem and downtube I guess, mine has it, hers has a two piece that is a chunky in the weight dept.

The Fem 2 was 30lbs on the scale. We're hoping to get closer to 28ish lbs with some mods.

Steve
    gotcha. You'll definitely shave a bit, but like i said, wheels will drop alot more weight, so I'd make that a priority. Since it is rotational weight, alot of people say that losing one pound in wheels is like losing 4 lbs off the whole bike. anyway, I'm sure you'll both love your bikes and enjoy!

mad aussie
    When I first started with a Rush 600 I saved a bunch of weight when it got home by changing out the stock saddle, seatpost handlebar and cassette to lightweight items, probably well over a pound as the stock Cannondale items are boat anchor materials. A different (lighter) crank like an XT could also save some serious weight. Most of the wheelset weight is in the rear hub.

Kevin

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Congrats!!!! Ditch the wheels as soon as you can that will save you a ton. I just got an 07 Rush 4 and that's first on my major upgrades list though I have to recover financially first (I'm going with Spinergy Xyclone Disks, custom built with the Lefty front hub). You'll probably want to trash the seats too; worst saddle I've ever sat on!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Thanks

The wheels on my Rush 4 are DTs and the weight of mine came in about 27.5 which is fine for mine.

The wheels on the Fem are x117s laced to something similar to Deore hubs I guess. The Crossrides would probably be the best bang for buck with the wheels as far as weight.

I wil probably go with the WTB ride program and get some arse time with one of their saddles and see how I like it, the stock one looks like a case of numb-nutts in the making.

Cassetts and cranks might be in her future, but that is another $200+ so we'll hold off on that for a while.

Steve

mad aussie
    The crossrides are not exactly super light wheels, I had the same wheels to what was specced on your wife's bike and they were about 2100g from my memory. Mavic's stated weigh on the Crossride is 1920g (they usually run heavier than stated) so the weight saved would be less than 1/2lb.
    My suggestion would be to look at the new Crosstrail wheel, comes in a Lefty version and the one we got in at the shop is a very impressive wheelset for the price. Lefty version comes in under 1800g, plus you get tubeless compatability to run the new tubeless ready tires with some sealant and save even more weight.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    ooooooh. do you have an '06 rush? that might explain a few things, as well as why it was so cheap (2 years old). http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/06/CUSA/model-6VMW.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Must be a 2006 as the Specs match..........the 2007 seems to have slightly lower part specs.......in some areas

BB5's vs BB7's on the 06'
    X7 Rear vs. X9 for the 06'
    The Cranks are a push between FSA and Truvativ (possible nod to 2007 on the Truvativ I guess)
    Lefty vs. Recon.........I like the lefty.

Works for me. Either way she likes it and it has decent specs for the price we paid for it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Steve

LA CHÈVRE
    I wouldn't bother with the one piece stem/steerer, it's cool, stiff but not that much lighter than the regular steerer and seperate stem. The weight is claimed to be 150gr but it's much more than that, you'll probably never feel the difference with that upgrade.

I too would recommend upgrading the wheels, it's the weight saving she will feel the most when riding... It's not the cheapest but it's usualy worth it. As for wheel choice, I gotta agree with Kevin, the Crossrides are a bit heavy, since you want to upgrade, might as well upgrade to something that's going to be felt. If it's too expensive, I would recommend starting with the stock wheels and upgrade later on.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Crosstrails are fine from a price perspective I think, I’m thinking we go for tires at the same time. I have XC Pros on my HT and like them. Any recommendations on tires? It comes with IRC Serac XCs. I know nothing about the IRCs………

Perhaps the best thing to do (while we are having new wheels done…….is to do Cassette, wheels and tires, all rolling weight or spinning weight. Probably able to grab 1.25lbs or so for $300 with credit for the parts taken off (which they said would be no problem).

Our target is 27-28lbs for her.

Pedals, we were probably going with SPDs so the 520s from Shimano…..unless something is way lighter in a similar price range.

As for the one piece steer tube, I know they have the weight side by side and I am curious as to what it is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i would not buy the single piece steerer tube and, put those money on the wheels insted.

why? bescouse that the single piece steerer tube weight is almost the same as a regular steerer tube + stem. 270 grams (with adapter to 25,4. 260 grams for 31,8). so the gain of weight will be minimal compared to the cost.

mad aussie
    I had the IRC tires and found the volume too low for riding rocky trails and the sidewalls were fairly weak and cut easily. They are wire bead tires, so they arent particularly light.
    XC pro tires are a good all around choice, a lot depends on her riding style and trail surface.
    I agree on the stem-steerer combination. It doesnt save a whole bunch of weight, I think from memory around 50g. In addition she might want to try some different stem lengths and rises before deciding on a final one and that is more difficult (not to mention expensive!) with the one piece.

Kevin

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I liked the IRC Serac XC 26"x2.1" tires, on my Furio. They are light, shed mud very well, and roll pretty fast. They like dry conditions, though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Tires.........

I was thinking of Mythos, but I hear they suck in semi wet and wet conditions, New England rocks and roots will be wet 50% of the time it seems (the bruises on my elbows can prove it).

The Seracs are like 710grams each and the Mythos were 555grams, but they are out I think based on the wet performance. The XC Pros are like 680 grams or something like that. I am walking a fine line of being a weight weenie here.....

Steve

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I was thinking of Mythos, but I hear they suck in semi wet and wet conditions, New England rocks and roots will be wet 50% of the time it seems (the bruises on my elbows can prove it).

The Seracs are like 710grams each and the Mythos were 555grams, but they are out I think based on the wet performance. The XC Pros are like 680 grams or something like that. I am walking a fine line of being a weight weenie here.....

Steve
    yeah, mythos aren't great for most east coast applications (wetter and rootier than alot of places). I've been really happy with Maxxis Ignitors (exception is 505g, still dry oriented) , and I've heard the High Rollers are really good (480g for eXCeption, 540g for normal). If you want true performance with a bit more rolling resistance, just default to Kenda Nevegals (620g, a large 2.1). I'm on the east coast myself, and this is the collection i'm looking at for my new bike (the new cannondale 130 when it comes)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Crazylax

Thanks for the input.......based on my crash course in tires over the past couple days, it looks like very light is 350-425grams and "light" is under 500grams......am I missing something there?

I was looking at the Kenda Karmas too, something like 450grams and decent reviews for various conditions.

East Coast tires need to be decent on the rocks and roots.......so the Mythos are out.

You know, this looking for parts and stuff is fun again.......I guess I need to build a bike or buy a new toy more than once every decade.

Steve

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    you also need to take into account if you like a square-edged or rounder tire...for instance, I love the Hutchinson Python, but usually need a bit more bite in the corners so I stick with tires that have a more square profile (usually). If you want uber-light check out the 2.3 Continental Speed King Supersonic. Normal treaded fat tire, but 436g. For slop, check out Bontrager's mud-x (554g), or the wtb raijin (595g), I'd say. Also, don't forget to talk to the local mtb tire guru, Shiggy (don't know if you frequent other parts of the forum or not...).

http://mtbtires.com/index.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Done deal....for the most part

I had the LBS order a pair of Mavic Crosstrails for her Rush along with some Kenda Karmas.

I also had them slap a pair of Shimano 540s on each of our bikes and throw on a trip computer for each and we're good.........I think.

What's another $6-700 right?

Of course the Mavics are on back order until the end of Feb, but everything is frozen for the most part anyways and the HTs will hold us over.........

Steve

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    you can always go with a set of the new Shimano XT wheelset, should be about the same price and a little lighter. (1650g)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast