Thread: Jekyll Warentee

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

No good Jekyll Warentee

Hi folks,

Just thought I would let you know that if you crack the rear triangle on your later model Jekyll don't go getting all excited that a Prophet or a Rush is in your future.... I broke mine for the second time recently (2003 model) and much to my disappointment they dug up another triangle for me. I *****ed about it a bit but it didn't do me any good.

I heard that if you have an older model Jekyll or even a Super V you'll get a new Rush or Prophet as they don't have any of those rear triangles. Here's hoping that next time it happens (and it will) they will have finally run out of them.

d

El Pollo Diablo
    guess it's good that you don't have anything worthwhile to complain about in your life huh?
    save your breath, badmouthing C'dale because they, *gasp*, replaced what you broke.
    weaksauce.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hmmm, Didn't realize I was badmouthing your sacred Cannondale there buddy, I'll tread more carefully next time I'm around you sensitive types

He who follows his heart.
    I think (and forgive me if I am mistaken) that the point snowgoose is making is that asCannondale replaced a part on your bike that the majority of companies would laugh at you if you tried to get a new part from them, be grateful for what you did get (a free replacement part) and don't moan for what you didn't get (a whole new frame for a broken swing arm).

Just me two cents

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scathel
    I think (and forgive me if I am mistaken) that the point snowgoose is making is that asCannondale replaced a part on your bike that the majority of companies would laugh at you if you tried to get a new part from them, be grateful for what you did get (a free replacement part) and don't moan for what you didn't get (a whole new frame for a broken swing arm).

Just me two cents
    That's right, be grateful... I remember when I bought a caad4 swingarm for my Super Vee so I could upgrade my bike with disc brakes... That swingarm cost me almost $400.-!!! So it's like you opened your hand and cdale put $400.- bucks in it! That's more money the average person spends on a whole bike.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Okay fair enough but the swingarm only lasted 18 months (the first one lasted 2 years), I don't think cannondale are doing me any special favors here. The bike is sold as "all mountain" and that's why I bought it, sure I ride it hard but not beyond what it was suposedly designed for - the Shock even has a "FR" (freeride) setting.

d

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkdee
    Okay fair enough but the swingarm only lasted 18 months (the first one lasted 2 years), I don't think cannondale are doing me any special favors here. The bike is sold as "all mountain" and that's why I bought it, sure I ride it hard but not beyond what it was suposedly designed for - the Shock even has a "FR" (freeride) setting.

d
    2003 freeride is nothing like what 2007 freeride is. That should be considered as well. I think Cannondale is doing you great favors. Most other companies would say you are SOL.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Check with the Uber V guys, they're all running those arms, and swear they are the most beefy things out there. Hate to say it, but rider error does come into play. These guys are doing pretty bad a$$ stuff, plenty of air time, drops etc, no problems so far. If you are doing such big stuff that you break gear, you need to evaluate your riding and your gear, and make the appropriate changes, not complain cause the chosen company continues to replace what you break
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Well anyway, we'll have to agree to differ on this but I think I got the intended message across which was to let people know that if they break the rear triangle don't expect a new bike - which is what a lot of people seemed to be saying when I read over all the older posts.

d

mtbr member
    uber v's are better anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If you set your expectations too high, you will be set up for disappointment.

Be happy that you didn't have to shell out mucho dinero. Period.

Really. It was all in your head, they just honored the agreement when you purchased the bike.

mtbr member
    I really don't mean this in a bad way, but are you fat? I just find it strange that you are breaking that swing arm. Maybe you are just a supreme bad a$$ that needs to upgrade to the current frame built for bad a$$ types. The Jekyll was built to crossover between xc and freeride, because at that time you had a choice between pretty much downhill bikes and xc bikes. Think back to when that bike came out, the term All mtn wasn't even in use yet. my first real mtn bike was a Jekyll I got it when they first came out in like 2000 or 2001. I was truly impressed that it stood up to what I did with it. I had the thing for 5 years. Until then I had only BMX type bikes. Come to think of it, if the Jekyll swing arms were that easily breakable, I think there would be more than one person out there that has broken 2 of them or even one of them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    If you set your expectations too high, you will be set up for disappointment.

Be happy that you didn't have to shell out mucho dinero. Period.

Really. It was all in your head, they just honored the agreement when you purchased the bike.
    I couldn't have said it any better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just warrantied a Jekyll 100mm with snapped swingarm for a customer (older bonded style). He got a new Rush frameset for $400. They didn't say anything about simply replacing the old swingarm for him, but instead he was giving the option of upgrading to a newer frame (which he was stoked with). Maybe your shop had one laying around upstairs that you got instead?