mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Jekyll vs Jekyll

Goodaye all

posted this question elsewhere before this 'dale section was found.

currently ride an 02 Jekyll 800 (with lefty DLR etc etc)

how do the 04 Jekyll's (with lefty max and greater rear travel) ride compare with the 02 version.

style of riding is all round trail riding - with some fast rough stuff thrown in. do the odd 12 hour and 100 k race and 2 day camping ride.

also - what is the difference between the lefty max (on the 800) and the lefty max TPC+ (on 1000's and above) - is it worth the additional cost?

would really appreciate feedback please - the 04's aren't in the shops yet in Brisbane Australia - so can't even organise a parking lot excercise (not that many shops allow test rides - how slack is that)

looking forward to your reply.

cheers, the jaw

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well No test rides?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Phooey....

First of all how can you sell a bike if you dont let your customers ride? That being said I havent ridden a new lefty max yet so all I have to go on is feedback from customers who do. All feedback has been really good. I was a bit concerned with the fact that there is no air in this shock only spring preasure, lets face it not all riders of the same height are the same weight. So needless to say I have upgraded both bikes to the next heavier spring, so be sure to keep that in mind.
    One of my customers upgraded from a 2002 jekyll 800 (lefty DLR)to a 2003 jekyll 2000(LEfty Max). His response after one week of riding was that cannondale may as well discontinue the lefty DLR,now that was before the spring upgrade.
    I have 04's on my floor right now and I must say that once again c'dale has come through again. The jekyll 1000 (matt black) and the 2000 in ball burnish is beautiful. I have nobody on the new mantou shock yet so I have little info on that.
    As far as the diff between Max and Max +TPC is the sprin. +TPC has a Titanium spring, ie. lighter and $$$$$.

Are you talking to me?

Rocketrich, are you sure the Max...

is not replacing the Jake from last year? The jake had the TPC sport damping, with rebound only. Is the Max that fork, and the MAX TPC+ is the TPC+ version with the Ti spring also? I have the 03 Lefty max TPC +, and all of the springs are Ti, but not the X-firm (heaviest) spring. It is steel, and weighs more than the Ti one. (it is also longer).
    The fork is on the Gemini 1000, with a 5th coil in place of the RL.
    As far as the difference between the DLR and the Lefty Max goes, there is no comparison. Way better damping, more travel, external control over the floating piston (compression), and so on. I say it is well worth the extra money. You can even adjust the preload internally using preload washers supplied. Very cool. My Jekyll with the DLR was sold, because I was no longer riding it.

mtbr member
    Jake only has 4 inches of travel whereas the max has over 5 inches. the jake is still being used on some of the 04 bikes. max has steel springs, TPC+ is the fork with the titanium spring as I stated before.
    The masx forks even have different markings. I wish I had my camera here to take some pics.

Are you talking to me?

How about the damping?

Is the Max labeled with TPC+ also? or does it say TPC sport?

mtbr member
    Bothe maxs' are labled the same the only diff is at the top of the fork the tpc+ model has the tpc+ insignia. again the only diff is the titanium spring

mtbr member

upgrade

i am in the process of sending my fox float rc to darren at push ind to be rebuilt for my 02 jekyll. (also either getting a dlr rebuild or switch to the max if $$ permits) my question is whether the difference in the rear between these two years is very noticeable. i know they upgraded the travel, but is that the only real difference?