I see what you did there.

Jekyll Rear Shock 'engineering' question

O.k. so I'm not thoroughly impressed with my Float L on '02 Jekyll 800 - I don't like the pedal bob and I even have a sneaky suspicion that the lockout doesn't work.

I already posted something along similar lines in the suspension forum without much help. Anyways I found on the European website for Push repairs that they cannot "Push" a Float L shock. Can the Push factory in the USA do it? I tried to contact them 2 weeks ago regarding it and I have not received a reply yet. If I can get confirmation that they can do it, then all of the following is irrelevant and I'll make several upgrades with the "pushed" rear shock.

So my question is this; Due to the limited options available for rear shocks (shorter Gen. 1 Jekyll), has anyone removed the trunnion mount and tried to fabricate a bracket to accomodate a "normal" eye-to-eye style rear shock on a Jekyll? The building I work at has a mini machine shop (City Fleet Repair). I'd like to try because according to the city mechanics the guy in there is supposed to be rather proficient at welding/brazing aluminum. I am myself am a mechanic in the transit division - believe it or not we have a higher budget than the city fleet so we never fabricate things, we just buy new - thus I don't have the brazing/TIG skills, only MIG work, but in a worst case scenario, I could probably even do it myself.

I'm not interested in the fore and aft adjustment of the trunnion style mount. I just don't get into technical riding that much. Just minor stuff like the local roads, rail and hiking trails works fine for me so I'd be taking my measurements from that adjustment setting. Also I'm not sure about the Gen. 2 bikes, but my style has that second "hole" in the trunnion arms on the frame that I was thinking could be used to mount a support for the bracket to prevent it from pivoting on compression.

can anyone think of anything that would make this 'dream' prohibitive?
    Last edited by XLNC; 04-02-2010 at 09:02 AM.

I see what you did there.
    I'm happy to state that this is all irrelevant as I have managed to get my grubby little mitts on a Fox Float RC taken off a Gen.1 Jekyll.

Now I am able to proceed with the upgrades I wanted to do (or 'will do eventually'). However I am also open to suggestions regarding what I should upgrade and with what. My Jekyll is basically stock so suggest away!

My first hill to conquer was going to be SRAM X9 derailleurs and shifters. Next to the shock, it seems to be the only 'problem'. Every now and then upshifting and downshifting the rear derailleur, it will "miss" a shift. I'll click the shifter but it doesn't do anything until you click it again. It doesn't appear to have any rhyme or reason, like it's not just happening on the same gear - it does it randomly on any ring of the cassette. I thought at first it was only an 8 speed cassette with 9 speed shifters, but I counted and that's not the problem. So I figured there's no better time for an upgrade!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    new cables and housing.

check the rear derailer alignment.

new chain.

new rings and cassette
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.