mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Jekyll Owners, What Are You Running For Tires?

I still have the stock 26x2.1 Conti Explorer Pros on my '02 Jekyll 800. Before you ask, no I don't have 9 years of ride time on them, more like six months of total ride time, 8.5 years on hanging in the garage.......don't ask! The knobbies are still pretty intact.

Anyways, I would like to get something that handles loose terrain a little better, one of my main riding routes lately has some beach sand, loose gravel and unpacked dirt. Bike gets a little squirelly in the stuff, beach sand I don't expect to be completely stable but I would like a little better grip in loose gravel. Maybe I just need to replace the front tire with something that has more bite?

Or, what's a good matchup for various terrains? I'm not constantly riding in muck or wet tree roots although those situations do present themselves.

What you all rolling with?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Anyone?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I am running a Maxxis High Roller Super Tacky UST on the front of my 2004 Jekyll 1000. Has awesome grip in all situations I have encountered ie. loose dirt/gravel, mud, hardpack dirt. On the front it is wearing really well. On the back though it wears out very quickly. I am running a Maxxis Larsen UST on the back. It rolls much better than the High Roller and wears well. It has plenty of grip under hard acceleration and under hard braking. I think they are both 2.35" wide.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks, I'll have to be on the lookout for those.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The Maxxis DHF hooks up great when it's loose. Fantastic front tire, and also very good on the rear. More aggressive tires that hook up better in the loose stuff are going to roll slower on hardpack and asphalt. A racier, but still aggressive, tire on the rear is usually a good call, but when it's really loose, a High Roller run backwards really digs in on the steep, technical, loose climbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well my LBS recommended trying some Bontrager XR3. Put a 2.3 up front and stayed with a 2.1 in the rear, can't wait to give them a whirl.

The perfessor
    '04 Jekyll here, I swapped out my Conti's and put some Mythos on it and have been amazed how well they've lasted..........
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    are you rocking a new jekyll or an old? well either way WTB bronson 2.3 up front and a weirwolf 2.3 in the rear, this works great for all mountain and all riding in general and was recommend to me by Jerome Clementz