mtbr member

Jekyll or Kona Dawg

I'm about to move out to Boulder Co. and getting back into mountain biking. I'm looking to get an all around bike. I will be doing lots of XC, and my fair share of downhill and freeride. Is the Jeckyll going to handle all of the abuse, or should I go with the Kona Dawg? Rode both and liked the Jekyll more, but wondering what you all think.
    Thanks for your time,
    Dave

mtbr member

Jekyll Please

First off, let me say that i don't know much about the Kona--so take that into account. With that said, i have ridden a jekyll for 4 years now and could not be happier. I do mostly xc, but have taken quite a few trips to ski resorts (Sunday River, Loon MTN, ect..) and the jekyll performed great, better than expected. i also did not change the geometry,just left it where i normally ride. i don't know which jekyll you are looking at, but i would encourage you to get the lefty max and fox propedal (or get darren at push to revalve it -- but that's another thread)

i have ridden a lot of different bikes, and ride with a lot of different guys. What i have found is that for a "best all around bike" if there is such a thing -- is the jekyll. and that's why i am riding it. If you were thinking about more freeride than xc, you may want to consider a gemini--but for everything that you are telling me -- You will be more than pleased with the jekyll!

Good Luck
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2004

Upset

I've been riding a Jekyll 2000 since 2001. I've ridden mostly XC but took it to Big Bear a few times. It did quite well considering I didn't change the geometry to accomodate the mountain. I recently got a Kona Stinky for DH/Freeriding duty since I wanted something heavier and w/ more travel for downhill.

Although the Stinky is NOT a Dawg, it still shares the same mechanics since the frames use similar pivot points. The Kona tends to soak the larger bumps better than the Jekyll but the Jekyll is better with the small to medium bumps. In the Kona, I feel all the little hits much more than the Cdale. I was told that since the Cdale uses more of a swing arm motion, it is better at soaking up force that approaches at less of an angle, ie. more horrizontal while the Konas pivot points work best with a more vertical approach. In other words, while the motion of the pivot point in the Cdale moves up and back, the Konas pivot motion moves mostly up. Hope that makes sense. Here's another way of looking at it....The Cdale is a swing arm while the Kona is a upward pivoting parallelogram. Oh well, I tried.

Cant forget the weight....Cdale = way lighter than the Konas...in general.