Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Jekyll Help ???

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8

    Jekyll Help ???

    a local bike store has a 2003 jekyll (with lefty dlr) on sale. They only have a large frame size and im about 6 feet tall 180 lbs. Does this frame size sound about right???. I cant find a 2003 in the XL size anywhere so i cant ride it to see for myself. Any other riders out there that are about the same size....what size frame do you guys ride???


    thanks

    steve

  2. #2
    Are you talking to me?
    Reputation: damion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,884

    Have you tried it out?

    Quote Originally Posted by auqatimer
    a local bike store has a 2003 jekyll (with lefty dlr) on sale. They only have a large frame size and im about 6 feet tall 180 lbs. Does this frame size sound about right???. I cant find a 2003 in the XL size anywhere so i cant ride it to see for myself. Any other riders out there that are about the same size....what size frame do you guys ride???


    thanks

    steve
    I am 6'4" and ride the XL. The large sounds right. My buddy is 6' and Large is right for him. It sounds like you found a deal. Go for it. The XL will be too stretched out.
    gfy

  3. #3
    NC Rider
    Reputation: Ed_Y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    42

    Probably OK

    I'm 6' and ride a 2004 Large frame so it's probably going to be OK unless you have an abnormal leg/torso ratio. Does it feel OK to you? Get the shop to fit you on the bike if possible, but you'll probably be fine.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9
    I am also 6' 4" on a XL and I put a shorter stem on my jekyll. How do you like the bike?

  5. #5
    Are you talking to me?
    Reputation: damion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,884

    I liked mine.

    Quote Originally Posted by 02jekyll1000
    I am also 6' 4" on a XL and I put a shorter stem on my jekyll. How do you like the bike?
    It was a 2001 Jekyll 2000. I rode that bike until last July or so when I got the new Gemini 1000. The Jekyll is a great bike, made even better over that last few years. The new shock technology makes it that much better. I am 6'4" 230lb.

    Here is a photo of my current ride.

    2003 Gemini 1000 (XL)
    5th Element coil 8.0"x2.25" 550lb spring
    Lefty Max TPC+ with x-stiff spring (brown, steel)
    Hayes mags 8"rotor on front
    Easton ML bar
    Thompson post
    GS/XT shifter combo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    gfy

  6. #6
    jcw
    jcw is offline
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Reputation: jcw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    506
    As the others have said, a Large should be perfect. I'm 5' 11.5" and am on my 3rd C-dale, 1 Jekyll, 2 Scalpels, all Larges, all great fits.

    Quote Originally Posted by auqatimer
    a local bike store has a 2003 jekyll (with lefty dlr) on sale. They only have a large frame size and im about 6 feet tall 180 lbs. Does this frame size sound about right???. I cant find a 2003 in the XL size anywhere so i cant ride it to see for myself. Any other riders out there that are about the same size....what size frame do you guys ride???


    thanks

    steve
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8

    thanks for the help

    i think the jekyll is a great bike. I rode the large size at the store and it felt good and the guys there told me it fit fine. Im a little paranoid that they are saying that partly because its there last one and they want to move it out. I really liked the lefty.Are the frame sizes the same for 2003 and 2004? Anyways...thanks for all your input and if you have anymore please share. I think i might just go for it before somebody else buys it.

    steve

  8. #8
    jcw
    jcw is offline
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Reputation: jcw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by auqatimer
    i think the jekyll is a great bike. I rode the large size at the store and it felt good and the guys there told me it fit fine. Im a little paranoid that they are saying that partly because its there last one and they want to move it out. I really liked the lefty.Are the frame sizes the same for 2003 and 2004? Anyways...thanks for all your input and if you have anymore please share. I think i might just go for it before somebody else buys it.

    steve
    The only difference between 2003 and 2004 frames is that the head tube was slackened by one degree, which is really not a big deal on a bike with adjustable geometry. And while I'm sure they do want to move the bike, IMO the size large is definitely the right size for you. A good way to quickly tell if you're in the ballpark is seatpost extension. If you have very little extension then the bike is probably too big. If you have so much extension that your at or beyond the maximum insertion point, then it's probably too small. Of course there is much more involved in proper fit, and cockpit length is more important than standover, but saddle height is generally a pretty good guide.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbykr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    445

    Large sound right

    to my knowledge they changed the way they size frames in 02. i ride a large and i am 5-11. large sound right , but ride it and make sure it will work. you can always change out stems and fine tune as you need. i have been riding a jekyll for 4 years now, and i can't imagine anything else.


    Good luck you can't go wrong
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1

    jekyll size

    Quote Originally Posted by auqatimer
    a local bike store has a 2003 jekyll (with lefty dlr) on sale. They only have a large frame size and im about 6 feet tall 180 lbs. Does this frame size sound about right???. I cant find a 2003 in the XL size anywhere so i cant ride it to see for myself. Any other riders out there that are about the same size....what size frame do you guys ride???


    thanks

    steve

    steve,

    I have a 2002 lg jekyll 800 . Im 6' 205 lbs 32" inseam. The large size frame fits good , couldn't imagine riding an x-large.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8

    the problem

    okay ...so i found out why im having so much trouble with this size thing. I have a really long inseam (~34.5 in). So the large fits me interms of cockpit length but for the proper seat height i have to raise the seat pretty high (still within the min height but close). I cant find anybody with a x large in stock so i still cant ride it but the sales person said it will have a very long reach and high standover hieght. Should i just go with the large then??

  12. #12
    jcw
    jcw is offline
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Reputation: jcw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by auqatimer
    okay ...so i found out why im having so much trouble with this size thing. I have a really long inseam (~34.5 in). So the large fits me interms of cockpit length but for the proper seat height i have to raise the seat pretty high (still within the min height but close). I cant find anybody with a x large in stock so i still cant ride it but the sales person said it will have a very long reach and high standover hieght. Should i just go with the large then??
    My advice as a professional bike fitter is that your probably best to stick with the large. Cockpit fit is really what it's all about. If you have a long inseam, then conversely you have a short torso for your height - the exact opposite of me. At 5'11.5" with a 32.95" measured inseam I find the stock large to be perfect. Since your half an inch taller but your legs are over an inch longer than mine, it stands to reason that your torso is shorter than mine. You may make up for the difference in arm length, but that's an unknown at this point. You may need to have your shop swap on a higher rise stem to bring the bars up some to match the saddle. Last I knew the L Jekyll's were coming stock with a 120mm x 5 degree stem. Ask if they have a 120mm x 20 degree stem in stock for you to try.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Polk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    604
    How does it fit compared to other bikes you currently own? If the reach and seat height are similar then I would say it's the right frame size. I am 6'0" and have a large 2004 Jekyll. The seat post is at the max line, but it fits me perfectly like that.

  14. #14
    Are you talking to me?
    Reputation: damion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,884

    You are at your max line?

    Quote Originally Posted by Polk
    How does it fit compared to other bikes you currently own? If the reach and seat height are similar then I would say it's the right frame size. I am 6'0" and have a large 2004 Jekyll. The seat post is at the max line, but it fits me perfectly like that.
    Get a longer post. The seatpost minimum is not the frame minimum. Get a 410mm Thompson or what not. Trust me on this one. I know.
    gfy

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Polk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    604
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    Get a longer post. The seatpost minimum is not the frame minimum. Get a 410mm Thompson or what not. Trust me on this one. I know.

    Yes, I know that longer seat posts can safely be used, I have done that with other frames. However, I don't need to go above the minimum line, so there is no need to buy a longer post. Minimum lines are usually on the safe side; meaning they can still handle a 250lb person bouncing on the end riding down the trail. Plus, being at the line makes it easy to reset the seat after I have dropped it down for riding some gnarly stuff

    Actually, there is an arguement for running long seat posts. Frames keep getting longer and longer top tubes, which not everyone may like. Personally, I prefer to have a 130-135mm stem for my XC bike, but a lot of top tubes in the past few years are too long for that. For example, when I bought my Ibis Ripley I found myself on the line between a medium and a large. I went with the medium for top tube length and used a 410mm Thomson post because a "standard" 350mm post was a little too short.
    Last edited by Polk; 04-13-2004 at 05:52 AM.

  16. #16
    120 pounds of xc sex!
    Reputation: carbnjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    639

    dood..

    i know steve...and he already bought this bike and is wayyy out of shape! stop *****ing and start riding YO! your bike kick ass!
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

    WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

    >Ankur<

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1
    I'm about 6'2 or 6'3 195lbs and I just bought a 2003 Jekyll 500 XL. I tried out the L, but just didn't feel comfortable so I went with the XL. I'd say test ride before making a decision. Plus, I plan on drinking a lot of beer this summer and hope to put on a few more pounds that only the XL could handle.

    dirt...

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2
    I'm so close to buying a 2003 jekyll 500 XL right now. I'm 6'4" and about 200 pounds. I havn't ridden that many FS bikes so I'm a little nervous about dropping the cash. They are asking $1100 with free clipless pedals. ANd will do a disc upgrade for $1300. Good deal?

    Also need to ride a Sugar 293 thats out there...

    -Zac

  19. #19
    jcw
    jcw is offline
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Reputation: jcw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Polk
    Yes, I know that longer seat posts can safely be used, I have done that with other frames. However, I don't need to go above the minimum line, so there is no need to buy a longer post. Minimum lines are usually on the safe side; meaning they can still handle a 250lb person bouncing on the end riding down the trail. Plus, being at the line makes it easy to reset the seat after I have dropped it down for riding some gnarly stuff
    The point is that a longer post, especially at or near the minimum insertion line, can lead to frame failure. Obviously not all frames are constructed the same. When you have a long lever arm plus a heavier rider, that creates a lot of leverage. If the post doesn't extend far enough into the frame (to be really safe it should extend about 1" below the bottom of the top tube), you're risking a failure at the top tube/seat tube junction. Because you've used longer posts sucessfully on other frames, does not mean it will work fine on your current one. Pull your post and check to see where the bottom of the post is in relation to the bottom of the top tube. If it does not extend below that, it's be smart to get a longer post.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    22

    Jekyll OK!

    Actually, I am 6'1" and I ride a jekyll Med...! I have a 30" inseam, and I like a smaller ride, so i can toss around a little more. If you a traditinal XC, then I woudl go large, depending on you standover, you should be OK.

    If you want a little more clearance, get a M.

    BB

Similar Threads

  1. 04' Jekyll 2000 as an XC/trailbike
    By dawgcatching in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 07:17 AM
  2. Is Jekyll 800 a good XC race bike?
    By knowledge777 in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 11:19 AM
  3. Need help finding 04 Jekyll 600
    By Ringer X in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-21-2004, 07:15 PM
  4. Jekyll vs Jekyll
    By jawry in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 09:34 AM
  5. Cannondale - Jekyll vs Jekyll
    By jawry in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 04:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •