mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Jekyll "Free Ride" setup, what to do?

First off I want to say that I understand I have the wrong bike for what I want to do, but I am a college student, spend all my money on dirtbikes and the like so a new bike is absolutely out of the question at this time.

That said this is what I am trying to do. I ride a 2005 Jekyll that is stock besides some DNR platform pedals, an 8 inch front rotor, bash ring and RockShox Pike with through-axle style hub laced onto stock wheel. I am wondering what would be the best upgrades I could do to make this bike perform better at ripping around town, jumping stairs, wheelchair ramps, walls etc. I was wondering if I could put heavier springs in my forks to help with some harsh landings? I think I read before that I could but Im not sure. Also considering going to a hydraulic front brake setup and would really like to find a chain roller style crank that fits with just the one giant ring as I dont ride uphill without a motor

I am transferring schools next semester and will be 3 1/2 hours from home so I wont be riding dirtbikes or streetbikes and need something to keep me sane. There looks to be some great riding places around town and campus so I would like to take my Dale with me and do some riding.

Appreciate any advice or encouragement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Your bike is very good at XC but for wall rides and stairs you need an AM or real freeride. Use your bike for singletrack trails and you'll have a great time. No big drops or hucks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    yeah, you can 'freeride' that bike but you need to be smooth...next investment should be a good set of wheels, i love azonic outlaws, the 2010 are out now with some nice anodized colors...and good dualply tires to go on them...maxxis high roller
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate them. I would like to get a Kona Stinky which would obviously be much better suited for my tastes, but financially I just cant do that at this time. I am not much of a fan of XC as I seem to have grown out of trail riding. I guess I'll make the best I can with what I have an accept the handicap I have using a Jekyll, but oh well. I understand how important suspension is, as Im an Expert level offroad motorcycle rider on national series, but this frame will have to do for now.

Thanks again!

-ALEX-

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    it's not what kind of bike you have, it's how you ride your bike...you'll be amazed at the number of goons at bike parks on some on the most sweetest rides

also at a minimum, some kinf of chain guide like a simple Stinger and bashguard

see you on the starting line
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Its true though its a great bike it would be easier on a Prophet.