mtbr member
    Apr 2004

New question here. Jekyll and Clyesdale

I am a smallish Clydesdale 5'8" 215 and this season I have begun riding a '03 Jekyll 1000. I ride pretty hard. Look mostly to bang thru technical XC stuff, I actually like climbing. Like everyone, love the downs and since getting this bike I have begun a fascination with AIR. Not crazy road gap stuff but on a good day like maybe three feet. This bike handles all of this very well no complaints. What I am worried about is how long will the Jekyll hold up? I mean if after a season I am going to trash this thing should I look to switch framesets now to a Gemini before I can not get anything for my Jekyll frame? Or do you think it will hold up? Is anyone in a similar situation or have any comments on this?

Are you talking to me?

I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent
    I am a smallish Clydesdale 5'8" 215 and this season I have begun riding a '03 Jekyll 1000. I ride pretty hard. Look mostly to bang thru technical XC stuff, I actually like climbing. Like everyone, love the downs and since getting this bike I have begun a fascination with AIR. Not crazy road gap stuff but on a good day like maybe three feet. This bike handles all of this very well no complaints. What I am worried about is how long will the Jekyll hold up? I mean if after a season I am going to trash this thing should I look to switch framesets now to a Gemini before I can not get anything for my Jekyll frame? Or do you think it will hold up? Is anyone in a similar situation or have any comments on this?
    I am 6'4" and 220lb. I rode a Jekyll 2000 for 3 years, and it held up well. Fine up to 2-2.5 foot drops, and heavy use. I did end up with Vuelta FR rims, for a stronger wheelset.The Jekyll was recently sold to a friend.

Now I am on a 2003 Gemini 1000, with a 5th coil and Lefty Max TPC+. It is stronger, stiffer, and has way more (and better) travel. With frogs, xc tires and tubes, and a ML carbon bar, it can be dropped to 31 pounds. That is not far off of the Jekyll weight.

The Jekyll will hold up fine, but at our size, perhaps a Gemini is a safer bet. It is for me.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    I am 6'4" and 220lb. I rode a Jekyll 2000 for 3 years, and it held up well. Fine up to 2-2.5 foot drops, and heavy use. I did end up with Vuelta FR rims, for a stronger wheelset.The Jekyll was recently sold to a friend.

Now I am on a 2003 Gemini 1000, with a 5th coil and Lefty Max TPC+. It is stronger, stiffer, and has way more (and better) travel. With frogs, xc tires and tubes, and a ML carbon bar, it can be dropped to 31 pounds. That is not far off of the Jekyll weight.

The Jekyll will hold up fine, but at our size, perhaps a Gemini is a safer bet. It is for me.

That is good to hear. I just got the Jekyll. I had been riding a hardtail, Delta V. The thing is like 19lbs. with maybe 60mm of travel in the front. Half the time I forget to unlock it. Maybe going from that to 4in. in the front and 5.3 in the back I could be misiterpreting the "plushness". I'll look into the Vuelta rims and maybe for now just keep my ear to the ground so to speak for a good deal on a Gemini frame.

Thanks