mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Jekyll cable routing = Bad shifting?

The XT rear der. that came stock on my Jekyll 800 is pathetic. I have to adjust it after every ride. Then after another few miles, it starts skippin' and ghostin' again. I'm having the LBS install Sram X-9 shift/der. soon. But I was wondering if the cable routing may be one of the major issues with my shifting woes. I heard somewhere that the routing may effect mech. disc barkes if installed so maybe it effects the rear der. too. Are there any other Jekyll owners out there that are having these rear der issues? Or is it just me?

learning and turning

Same Problem

I started having the same problem after about 3 months. It's primarily in the middle cogs of the cassette, and usually after shifting from larger to smaller cog, which makes me think that the spring may be getting weak. I tried cleaning and oiling the cable, but no help. I'm thingking about the SRAM 9.0 too, but the reviews in the product section indicate a lot of broken SRAM derailers. WHAT TO DO?????

mtbr member
    I always use my stationary trainer as a workstand when I adjust the shift cables. This way I can check it under load and see where the ghost shifting occurs. Are your housings and cable clean and smooth? I switched to Aztec Powerlines recently with good results. Is your cassette tight on the freewheel? Is your rear wheel mounted straight in the dropouts? I'm kinda doubting the XT is to blame. I know the cable routing is fine.

Since you admit to adjusting it while riding, yet you need the LBS to install a new one for you, I have the impression you are not adjusting properly. 9 speed cassetes are tightly spaced, leaving little room for error.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Just got my new X-9 der....

Quote Originally Posted by dogwood
    I always use my stationary trainer as a workstand when I adjust the shift cables. This way I can check it under load and see where the ghost shifting occurs. Are your housings and cable clean and smooth? I switched to Aztec Powerlines recently with good results. Is your cassette tight on the freewheel? Is your rear wheel mounted straight in the dropouts? I'm kinda doubting the XT is to blame. I know the cable routing is fine.

Since you admit to adjusting it while riding, yet you need the LBS to install a new one for you, I have the impression you are not adjusting properly. 9 speed cassetes are tightly spaced, leaving little room for error.

Yeah, I prolly don't know what I'm doing. However even when I have the LBS adjust (usually once a week) I still have the problem. I just got my new X9 shift/der. today and I allready notice a huge improvement in shifting! Now we'll have to see how long I go b4 I need an adjustment. And as far as what I hear about the Sram der. breaking, I think thats more the X0, which is lighter therefor prolly more fragile. As far as first impressions go though, SRAM kicks arss over Shi*mano rear der.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I am having the same problem as you are having. I Have had it adjusted upteen times and it does not good. Have you found the fix for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Q-Tip
    The XT rear der. that came stock on my Jekyll 800 is pathetic. I have to adjust it after every ride. Then after another few miles, it starts skippin' and ghostin' again. I'm having the LBS install Sram X-9 shift/der. soon. But I was wondering if the cable routing may be one of the major issues with my shifting woes. I heard somewhere that the routing may effect mech. disc barkes if installed so maybe it effects the rear der. too. Are there any other Jekyll owners out there that are having these rear der issues? Or is it just me?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Q-Tip
    Yeah, I prolly don't know what I'm doing. However even when I have the LBS adjust (usually once a week) I still have the problem. I just got my new X9 shift/der. today and I allready notice a huge improvement in shifting! Now we'll have to see how long I go b4 I need an adjustment. And as far as what I hear about the Sram der. breaking, I think thats more the X0, which is lighter therefor prolly more fragile. As far as first impressions go though, SRAM kicks arss over Shi*mano rear der.
    Let me us know how it works out in the long run (next few weeks).

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by sandlapper
    I am having the same problem as you are having. I Have had it adjusted upteen times and it does not good. Have you found the fix for it?

Since I've gotten my sram X9 der. I haven't adjusted it once...it's almost been like 2 months. The cables should've strectched by now,(new cables stretch after a few weeks) causing me to adjust them, but this der. still works perfect. I love the "all thumbs" trigger shifter too. At first I was worried about not liking them, but after the first ride, I wanted to change the shifters on all my bikes to X9 triggers. Will never go back to Shi*mano, unless they come up with something super revolutionary that works. So, the bottom line is that I don't think the cable routing was effecting my shifting like I thought it might be. The only reason why I even came up with that idea was because I thought my XT der. couldn't be THAT bad! IT WAS! Also the SRAM X9 shifters come with teflon coated cables. They kick a**. Haven't lubed them once. And about the reviews of them falling apart...thats more about the X0, which is super light. Sorta like the XTR, which also has a lot of reviews of it falling apart. The seem just as strong as Shi*mano. OHH! They're also cheaper!!! A lot cheaper. It's like if you have Chevy Bronco...and found out the Hummer H2 was cheaper! Incredible. X9 shifter and Der. combo is on sale for around $120 on pricepoint.com! For as many people to say they will never go back to Shi*mano after trying SRAM, that has to say how much of a superior product it is. Go SRAM, you will not be dissapointed!

NC Rider

The problem is . . . . .

Partially related to the routing of the cabling for the rear derailleur. What I've found - from running new cables on numerous occasions - is that the Jekyll's rear shifting can be significantly influenced by the length of the housing that runs though the pivot area. Try replacing the housing with a length about an inch longer than what is currently installed and that should solve the problem.

A buddy of mine was having the same problem and I told him to mention this to the guys at the LBS when he went in for a tune-up (new bike). They did it and the problem was solved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Wink LBS worked on shifting problem

I took my jekyl to my LBS store which is a 125 miles from where I live. I told him about this site and the problems others here are experiencing with their shifters. This is my fourth time taking it to get the shifter worked on, at 250 mile round trip is getting to be a little tiring.
    They replaced the cable and housing with stainless steel cable and with water proof connections and routed the cable a little better. I did have some corosion in the old cable housing. They agreed that if this did not fixed the problem they would replace the derailer with a new one and upgrade it. So far I only rode a few miles but it shifts just the way it suppose to and is a lot easier and smoother. I sure hope this fixed it.

mtbr member
    Are you all pulling the cable housings to clean and lube the cables every couple rides? I find that doing this doubles the time between my adjustments.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have used the trade-in programm of cannondale to exchange my old Super V carbon (10 years old) for a new Jekyll frame. I had shorty 9.0 SRAM shifters with a 9.0 SL rear derailleur. I am riding my new bike for 3 months now and have no shifting problems at all. It shifts very smooth without a sound.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jm03
    Are you all pulling the cable housings to clean and lube the cables every couple rides? I find that doing this doubles the time between my adjustments.
    I only had this bike for less than three months. It always gave trouble shifting from the start. But to answer your question no I haven't clean or lube the cables I guess I was spoiled by my other older Cannodale which works perfect all the time with and never needs adjusting. Anway with the upgrade cables on my new Cannodale I hope the problem is solved. It certainly shifts much smoother and quieter than it ever has.

mtbr member
    I'm not saying it doesn't suck, but you have openings in the cables right at the bottom of the downtube that get dirt thrown in by the front tire, and when you wash your bike water lays in the housings. The nice thing is, if you shift to the larger rings(front and rear), and then hit the shifter buttons without pedaling it will provide enough cable slack to pull the housings out of the frame, so you can clean the cables without removing them and having to readjust your derailleurs.