mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Jekyll brake upgrade questions

Has anyone put juicy 7s on a jekyll if so any problems I should be aware of, I am not to sure if I want to upgrade the wheels or leave them as 4 bolt rotors.

mtbr member

Juicy 7 185's

I have a 2003 Jekyll 2000. I upgraded to Juicy 7's 185mm in 2005. I'm 6'2'' and easily pushing 250lbs with a full camelbak. I really like the 185's but they are almost too big for the rear swingarm. There is only 3mm of clearance between the rotor and the swingarm, so maybe go with 160's if you are worried about scratches (its pretty hard not to scratch the paint when reinstalling your rear wheel). You have to get different mounting hardware for the rear, some longer bolts and 3 washers on each bolt to position the rotor and caliper correctly, there might be a real part kit that is available from Avid but I went to the metric bolt section at Home Depot and took care of it. I have a marzocchi bomber fork so it was no problem mounting in the front. I have been very happy with the brakes but with the larger rotors while they stop better are more prone to bending after a wreck. I've upgraded to the 6 bolt hub/ rotors and would suggest doing so since your life relies on your brakes.

Unit 91
    Depending on what size your current rotors are, you may have to upgrade your wheels. Many Coda rotors were odd sizes vs. todays standards. Just a thought.
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bankofdad
    Has anyone put juicy 7s on a jekyll if so any problems I should be aware of, I am not to sure if I want to upgrade the wheels or leave them as 4 bolt rotors.

i have a 2000 jekyll 900sx, upgraded to the juicy 7's with 160mm rotors and havent had any issues.