mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New question here. Is Jekyll 800 a good XC race bike?

I am looking at purchasing an 2003 Jekyll 800. I will be using if for all mountain purposes as well as XC racing and 24 hours of Adrenaline.

What I would like to know from some of you is, would the Jekyll 800 make a decent (or good) XC race bike?

What would be my advantages to racing with the Jekyll?

What would be the down sides to racing with the Jekyll?

Thank you all for you imput!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Hereís my take on the 03 Jekyll as a XC race bike: If you are going to race and are truly concerned with your results and you are willing to sacrifice some comfort for results, then the Jekyll is not the best pick you could make. Hereís why: #1 They are going to be heavier than many bikes youíll be going against. #2 I donít think the 03ís have a stable platform type shock. The Jekylls that donít have a stable platform shock will bob unless you are a flyweight.

If you are racing for fun and are competing more with yourself (going for personal best times whatever they may be) and just enjoy the scene and camaraderie of being in and at races and you would be willing to sacrifice some speed for comfort (especially for 24hr racing), then a Jekyll might be a decent pick (but not the only one). I think it would, however, be a good idea to try to get one with a stable platform shock even though it may cost more initially.

If you wonít sacrifice speed for comfort, then a CíDale Scalpel, a Giant NRS, Trek Fuel, a Specialized Epic or something like them (or a hardtail) would be a better pick than a Jekyll. This is coming from someone that has an 03 Jekyll 500 at home in the stable.

Are you talking to me?

jeffj is right.

I have raced a couple of 24hr races on my Jekyll, but it is not a race bike. If you can only have one bike, go for it. If you are concerned with placing on the podium, there are better race offerings. The Jekyll can have the geometry adjusted to be more efficient, however. The 03 does nort have a pro-pedal shock, but Darren at PUSH cat take care of theat later on down the road if needed.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Goodaye

Concur with the above comments. I have a 02 800 (i know, its a bit different)

Have done 12 Hour races, normal races and 100k races on it. I'm 40 - so winning was never on my mind. Fun was though. Its a hoot to fly down the twisty rough stuff passed all those whippets who flogged you up the hill!!!!

You will love the 800 - not just for the racing.

cheers, Jawry

mtbr member

jekyll

my jekyll is a few years old (originally a 900sl -- although everything has changed on it) for my one bike, you can't beat it! Like damion said get darren at push industries to rebuild the rear and put a damping platform on it ( i am getting mine done and everything i have heard is that it's better than anything you can buy right now when he is done) I am not saying you can't place on this bike, but their are better options that are lighter out there. other than that all i can say is get it -- in my experience i have never found someone who didn't like the performance of the bike
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]