mtbr member

jekyll 600 and avid

i have the jekyll 600 with v-brakes with stock everything. i want to upgrade to disc brakes as i can afford it. so for now i want to put one on the front. i want to get the 185mm up front because i heard if you are over 200 lbs, which i am, then the extra braking power of the 185 is welcome. later i plan on getting a 160mm for the back when i save up some more money. so what extra stuff is needed to install the 185mm? i plan on doing it myself. i am also seriously considering getting the avid full metal jacket cables and housing after reading the reviews of it. has anyone installed that cable system on their jekyll 600? any other advice is welcome.

ಠ_ಠ

disc brakes

I have avid mechs on my jekyll 500, but I also have a Marz fork. You need to call avid, they will tell you if the 185 rotor will fit - I'm guess not. Further, after talking to them myself the sales rep told me that when the owner rides mechs, he uses the 160s. From what I understand, it's not the breaking power that is increased, but the cooling, which helps the breaking I suppose. I went with the 160s and I am very pleased.

Also, you need the full metal jackets. Jekylls are flawed in that the rear cables get so dirty because they are exposed in probably the worst possible way. As the cable gets dirty, you get more friction and have to squeeze harder and harder. Anyway, I was never that impressed with my avids until I put on the FMJs, now I can break with one finger -- AWESOME!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by in the flesh?
    i have the jekyll 600 with v-brakes with stock everything. i want to upgrade to disc brakes as i can afford it. so for now i want to put one on the front. i want to get the 185mm up front because i heard if you are over 200 lbs, which i am, then the extra braking power of the 185 is welcome. later i plan on getting a 160mm for the back when i save up some more money. so what extra stuff is needed to install the 185mm? i plan on doing it myself. i am also seriously considering getting the avid full metal jacket cables and housing after reading the reviews of it. has anyone installed that cable system on their jekyll 600? any other advice is welcome.
    I installed the Avid Mech Discs on my Jekyll 700 a few years back. The installation is a piece of cake. I am still running the stock coda wheels, and finally found a four-bolt rotor that would work with the Avid calipers. Regardless of which housing you choose, definitely run full housing all the way. I ran the cable on the swingarm, which puts it not only in the mud area, but also near the pedal sweep. be sure to secure it well -- i've used electrical tape, which holds up well.