mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Jekyll 3 DYAD question..

Okay, perhaps I'm crazy, but am I supposed to feel a marked difference between flow and elevate modes? Because other than (possibly) a tiny bit more efficiency in the latter, nothing seems to happen when I toggle the switch, though I have checked and the cable is lifting the pin on the shock. I have emptied and refilled the air chambers (in the order dictated by Fox), and this hasn't made any difference. The bike rides great, very nimble and balanced (if a bit tall in the rear feeling), but I can't help but wonder if something isn't quite right. Lastly, there is a bit (+/- 4mm) of silver showing from the shock when the bike is sitting there unmounted, so it is a tiny bit into its sag already, which I know some folks have had issues with.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    I can feel a considerable difference between Flow and Elevate modes.

When i even switch from Elevate to Flow i can even feel the the whole rear of the bike drop a cm or more..

Are you running pressures in-line with you weight (on the chart)? Or like most people, using lower pressures?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm running it for the weight class just below mine. Strange, it feels the same... When I flip the switch it's as though nothing happens at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm running mine two settings lower than my weight in flow mode and one setting higher than for my weight in elevate, it made a good bike amazing, to me this is how it should be, don't know if it can damage the shock being out of balance but I've had my Jekyll for 8 months with no problems

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi , mine felt the same when i first had it , i dropped down the table and it felt better and i it got perfect when i used a sag indicator
    i got this from the cannondale experts in salt lake city the part number is KP188
    hope this helps
    Thanks
    Dean.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I think if the shaft is showing you might be running too much negative air, though the official word differs from my opinion.

The difference between flow and elevate is much more apparent on a technical bit of trail than on pavement.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    My dyad had the same issue with the shock extended with no weight on it. i sent it in under warranty and wastold there was issues with the seals not being seated internally. Fox repaired it and its been fine ever since. I could always tell a difference between flow/elevate though. adding or releasing air in elevate mode can also cause issues as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stejekyll View Post
    I'm running mine two settings lower than my weight in flow mode and one setting higher than for my weight in elevate, it made a good bike amazing, to me this is how it should be, don't know if it can damage the shock being out of balance but I've had my Jekyll for 8 months with no problems
    Are you talking about rebound adjustments? You can't run different pressure between flow/elevate???

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trailhore View Post
    Are you talking about rebound adjustments? You can't run different pressure between flow/elevate???

yes I'm running unbalanced pressures, have been for 6 months with no problems, in flow its super plush and feels bottomless then in elevate its nice and stiff with no pedal bob, I love my Jekyll

mtbr member
    yes I'm running unbalanced pressures, have been for 6 months with no problems, in flow its super plush and feels bottomless then in elevate its nice and stiff with no pedal bob, I love my Jekyll
    I have heard people running unbalanced pressures, but i had no idea that doing this effected the two shock modes in different ways.

My understanding was that when you set the negative and positive pressures, these pressures effected both the Flow and Elevate modes in a relative way .Hence if you make the shock super plush in Flow mode (with lots of sag), it will also be super plush in Elevate mode, although with less travel and sag due to only having 90mm of travel in this mode..

Have i got it all wrong?

It would be great if you could give details and explain exactly how you have your shock set up, and your body weight..
    Last edited by chick0; 08-27-2012 at 04:16 PM.

mtbr member
    jjjj - Have you made sure that your shock lever/ cable are activating the different modes on the shock, when you move the leaver does the cable anchor on the shock move down (or up) about half an inch?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm going to check out a Jekyll 5 this week. How would the Jekyll compare to a Reign or Heckler? I can get all 3 at about the same price. Looking for my first all mountain rig.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chick0 View Post
    I have heard people running unbalanced pressures, but i had no idea that doing this effected the two shock modes in different ways.

My understanding was that when you set the negative and positive pressures, these pressures effected both the Flow and Elevate modes in a relative way .Hence if you make the shock super plush in Flow mode (with lots of sag), it will also be super plush in Elevate mode, although with less travel and sag due to only having 90mm of travel in this mode..

Have i got it all wrong?

It would be great if you could give details and explain exactly how you have your shock set up, and your body weight..

Its late here now so I'll list my settings when I get chance tomorrow, but it works because the two air chambers remain seperate to each other, if the shock used one chamber for elevate and both for flow and the chambers were linked the air pressure would bleed from the higher pressure chamber and both would equalize, the shock doesn't work like that, the air in one side doesn't affect the other side, hope that makes sense

mtbr member
    Its late here now so I'll list my settings when I get chance tomorrow, but it works because the two air chambers remain seperate to each other, if the shock used one chamber for elevate and both for flow and the chambers were linked the air pressure would bleed from the higher pressure chamber and both would equalize, the shock doesn't work like that, the air in one side doesn't affect the other side, hope that makes sense
    If you could post you settings that would be great, as i really want to start unbalanced experiments, and settings similar to yours would be a good place to start

The Dyad has 3 air chambers, 2 positives for Flow and Elevate which are linked (only one positive air valve), and 1 negative chamber, which is separate and as you said.

Its the 2 oil chambers that are joined or separated when the different modes are selected. So this why im a little confused, as this means the air pressures are always relative, and so should the characteristics be no mater what mode you have the shock in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I checked my settings today and I'm running 350psi in both + & - chambers and also 4 clicks of rebound in each chamber too I weigh about 216lbs in gear and it feels better than if I run the cannondale settings, there's a bit of pedal bob in flow if I ride on the road, but elevate feels solid, and on an off-road climb the difference is quite pronounced

mtbr member
    I checked my settings today and I'm running 350psi in both + & - chambers and also 4 clicks of rebound in each chamber too I weigh about 216lbs in gear and it feels better than if I run the cannondale settings, there's a bit of pedal bob in flow if I ride on the road, but elevate feels solid, and on an off-road climb the difference is quite pronounced
    Great stuff stejekyll, i will give something similar a try later and let you know how i get on..

Thanks so much, its very much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Ok, so i did as you said, i tried putting the positive and negative chambers at the same pressures, 300 psi, im about 90kg /200lbs in my gear. I normally set the negative chamber at around 250psi.
    But as the negative pressure approached the 300psi mark, the spool shaft started to come out of the body. About 1cm (1/3 inch) ended up being exposed.

Anyway i went for about a 10 mile ride with the settings like this to give it a try, but i did not find the same situation in both modes as you do.

In Elevate mode the shock felt quite similar to my normal settings, i would say a bit more firm.

But in Flow mode the shock was much stiffer then with my normal settings, much less plush and the rear of the bike felt spiky and did not move much from its sag position, not nearly as much as it normally does (i have a sag/travel indicator kit fitted). Also when i switched from Elevate to Flow the rear of the bike did not drop half and inch like normal.

I will try this equal pressures idea again over the weekend with lower psi's, probably around 250psi then report back.