mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Jekyll 2005 When?

I was getting together a Spec. to build up a Jekyll with the Cannondale Frame exchange program, but my LBS has said that Cannondale stopped doing there Non Cannondale frame exchange back in March. He said he would do a good deal on a Jekyll 1000.
    I am now thinking that I will wait till the 2005 bikes come out.
    They normally appear around July, but the LBS then went on to say that there may be a delay because there is a steel shortage and Shimano are having a problems with production that will have a knock on effect delaying the 2005 bikes.
    Has anyone heard of this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dont listen to him. Hes just trying to get a quick sale from you.

I too am waiting for the 2005 bikes and they should start appearing late summer/autumn.

Are you talking to me?

Materials shortage is real.

There are a few articles about it. Shimano is way behind in production currently. It is holding up some models being shipped from some bike makers.
    gfy

gentle like

Explain to me, this frame exchange

Hey guys,

In Canada we didn't have the C'dale frame exchange programme ... now that I live in the States, could you explain to me how it works?

When last I had heard of it, I had thought it was that you could trade in any C'dale frame for a CAAD4 mountain or road frame at a good price (obviously, this rumour is from a while back now) ... but clearly if a Jekyll is on the menu, it's different. I can't find any info on their website.

Help a guy out? I even ride a Cannondale ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Frameset

Cannondale had a program where you could exchange any manufacture frame for a Cannondale frame. You could also purchase a better frame if you had to make a frame warranty claim.
    Last edited by roadrunner; 05-07-2004 at 08:47 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well

there is indeed a material shortage in the far east. this affects allbike manufacturers based in that region including Specilialized, GT, Giant, Scott etc. Shimano and SRAM are not short on material because of this but rather due to the bike manufacturers not forecasting their demand corectly last year. The reult is that SRAM and Shimano have under resourced their production lines for this year according to the now understood actual demand. Apparently both companies are working their factories on 24/7 principals.

I'm having some trouble getting chainrings..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

China's Expansion

The material shortage is due mainly to the incredible pace of China's industrial and urban expansion in recent years. As recently as 3 years ago, American steel plants were going out of business because of a glut of Asian produced steel in world markets. Since then, China has done an about face and kept the majority of what they produce and bought so much of what comes from the rest of the world that the rest of us are sort of left in a lurch. Ask the scrap metal guys in your area and they will tell you prices are high, high for scrap.

Just FYI

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    There are a few articles about it. Shimano is way behind in production currently. It is holding up some models being shipped from some bike makers.
    True, true. It think since the 04 Bikes started rolling out the likes of Shimano could not keep up with production. I hear the same has been for other bike manufacturers. I waited a month for my road bike (And it was a giant).
    Trev!

ceteris paribus
    One of my LBS's told me that the 05 Cdales where going to be here at early July.

About the shortage on steel, is for real. There's been problems on the contruccion buss. thnx to overpriced steel since around january this year.
    Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha-beta psychadelic funkin'

Harmonius Wrench

Especially bad for new gruppos

I agree with all the others, there are supply problems. Compound that by the mis-forcasting of production, and the tooling up for the new Ultegra, LX, etc, and you have a scheduling nightmare. My C'dale rep said that Shimano told them not to expect the delivery of Ultegra 10 speed until late September-early October. However, Cannondale feels that an early FEBRUARY 05 delivery is more realistic! Let's hope that they are wrong, or it could be quite sometime before some road and mountain bike models will be available.

So, to the original poster, Yes, the problems are real. Your LBS is not trying to scam you! We have probably missed 15- 20,000 bucks worth of sales in the last two months because of out-of-stock conditions at Trek, Raleigh, and Cannondale. Believe me, if my boss could get the bikes, he would. You might try to persuade your LBS to call other C'dale dealers to see if someone else is sitting on what you want, or do that yourself. We get calls from other dealers all the time looking for specific bikes that are not available at the manufacturing level anymore for '04. To my knowledge this problem is industry-wide. Many companies are pushing up their '05 introductions to help cover outages.

Hope this helps, and Good luck!

The little guy
    Jun 2004

Scapel 300 2004

I have just order a scapel 3000. I live in the Netherlands, so they have to order from the states I think, because they didn't have it on stock. Is there still a production process for the scapel models 2004. I also heard that when the new models for 2005 arrives the top noth model, like scapel 200/3000 and teamreplica can take a while longer.