mtbr member
    Jun 2004

New question here. jekyll at 190 pounds, plush?

Hi I am looking to build/buy a fs bike. My main want is plushness. I want it to soak up even the smallest bumps. I weigh 190 and ride mainly xc with a little bit of trail and maybe a tiny bit of light jumping off of curbs and stuff on my way through town and bunny hops and such couple of feet at the most. I have been considering the jekyll as I know its supposed to be plush but at my weight I have been reading that coil is reccomended over air and I don't see a jekyll that comes with a coil and I know its got that proprietary rear shock mount so I can't go add a vanilla or similar. Can the jekyll withstain 190 pounds and be plush doing it? Is there a way to add a vanilla to the jekyll or another coil?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

220 lbs with gear....

and I rode a 2001 Jekyll for 3 years. Yeah, it'll take the abuse of 190 lbs...but it may require more frequent maintenance. I wore out 3 sets of shock bushings, 2 shock bolts, and the trunnion that the shock threads into. Plus rebuilds of the Fox every year.

As for plushness, it was a very plush bike. In fact, a little too plush. I had to pump up my Fox RLC to 275 psi to get a firm enough ride to not bob under power. Unfortunately 275 is close to the limit you can put in a Fox RLC (300# is thetop) and it wasn't quite as smooth over some of the rough stuff at higher speeds. Overall I liked the bike, but when I compare it to my current ride (Turner 5-spot) it isn't even in the same league suspension-wise.

Before you buy, try some different suspension designs besides the single pivot of the Jekyll. Just comparing the Spot to the Jekyll it seems the 4-bar linkage is better for heavier riders, but it could be the Romic coil is better for heavier people. If yor heart is set on a Jekyll, look for an aftermarket coil shock that'll fit and it should improve the ride.

M

mtbr member
    I ride an '02 jekyll at 190, and i think it's very plush, sometimes too plush for my taste. If that is what your looking for, look for an '03 model the ones before the propedal shocks for the smoothest ride, or a new one with the swinger shock so you can adjust it to be smoother. And at 190 you don't need a coil shock, there are plenty of people heavier than us on this board running the air shocks. It's a great bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    thanks for the replies i'm now deciding between an enduro or jekyll. I guess I'm gonna go down and test ride them to see how they ride. The enduro looks to be a bit beefier but probably isn't as plush. I never really thought about it possibly being too plush. The enduro has really caught my eye though. I don't like the fact that the jekyll has the proprietary rear shock mount and if I were to get into doing jumps and such(I don't think I will but you never know) I would worry about the jekyll holding up. But I guess it'll mainly come down to which one rides better to me.

I can't afford the ones with the swinger unfortunately.

thanks again for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by jm03
    I ride an '02 jekyll at 190, and i think it's very plush, sometimes too plush for my taste. If that is what your looking for, look for an '03 model the ones before the propedal shocks for the smoothest ride, or a new one with the swinger shock so you can adjust it to be smoother. And at 190 you don't need a coil shock, there are plenty of people heavier than us on this board running the air shocks. It's a great bike.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't worry about the jekyll holding up, i'd worry about chainline and bushing issues with the specialized. But good luck eitherway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yeah I know I really don't want to deal with the bushings plus I can get the jekyll cheaper than the enduro. I'm just going to have to test ride them both, and see what the 05's offer. The jekyll does seem nice though. And I could upgrade to a lefty later on, maybe buy a used lefty on ebay and get it rebuilt by cannondale cheaply. I can't afford the 1000 though and the 800's lefty doesn't seem to have tpc+?

Quote Originally Posted by jm03
    I wouldn't worry about the jekyll holding up, i'd worry about chainline and bushing issues with the specialized. But good luck eitherway.

Are you talking to me?

Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by watjac
    Yeah I know I really don't want to deal with the bushings plus I can get the jekyll cheaper than the enduro. I'm just going to have to test ride them both, and see what the 05's offer. The jekyll does seem nice though. And I could upgrade to a lefty later on, maybe buy a used lefty on ebay and get it rebuilt by cannondale cheaply. I can't afford the 1000 though and the 800's lefty doesn't seem to have tpc+?
    THe Lefty can be a spendy upgrade.

The 800 has a Lefty Max, using a TPC sport damper. (no compression adjuster)

If you can afford the 800, go for it. I am sure that your shop has a layaway program if you are set on the 1000. That is what I would do. THe Swinger shock an the Ti spring/TPC+ are worth the extra $.
    gfy

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I've been riding an 01 Jekyll 2000 (with the lefty Ti) and I WAS 185-190 up until recently (now I weigh 170). It was, and is, a VERY plush bike. I have yet to rebuild the Fox RLC but I will soon enough. I recently put on a remote lock out so bobbing isn't a problem not that it ever was. When I was heavier, it was as plush as it is now. I LOVE IT and found a new appreciation for it after I got an 04 Kona Stinky. The Jekyll is way more plush over the small to medium stuff and not too bad over the big stuff but I just didn't want to abuse it too much so I got the Stinky for Freeriding and some DH stuff. I wouldn't trade the Jekyll in for anything especially for how much bikes with equal characteristics cost these days. Mine only has 3.5" (if I remember correctly) but I like the way it rides. I still get a lot of looks considering it's over 3 years old. Oh, and I just weighed it in at 25 lbs with the beefy tires, spokes and stuff I added through the years. So stock, it probably weighed in at <24 lbs....not bad for a plush XC bike that is very "trail" capable.

mtbr member

jekyll

another vote for the jekyll. i have been on mine for going on the 4th season. due to an injury and time off the bike i gained weight and at some points were hovering around 240#. no problems at all---trunions, bushings, ect..--nothing. no rebuilds either although it is getting time (going to www.pushindustries.com for the rear) and either cannondale rebuild for the lefty or trade in for the lefty max. do whatever it takes to get a lefty, you will be much happier

i am now debating keeping it or trying out the turner 5-spot! My $.02
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member

Plush Jeckyl

Quote Originally Posted by watjac
    Hi I am looking to build/buy a fs bike. My main want is plushness. I want it to soak up even the smallest bumps. I weigh 190 and ride mainly xc with a little bit of trail and maybe a tiny bit of light jumping off of curbs and stuff on my way through town and bunny hops and such couple of feet at the most. I have been considering the jekyll as I know its supposed to be plush but at my weight I have been reading that coil is reccomended over air and I don't see a jekyll that comes with a coil and I know its got that proprietary rear shock mount so I can't go add a vanilla or similar. Can the jekyll withstain 190 pounds and be plush doing it? Is there a way to add a vanilla to the jekyll or another coil?
    I'm 190 and I rode a first year 3000 for over a year without any problems. I did plenty of drops up to about 5 ft (did that one about 20 times after I herd C- dale was making the Jeckyl longer travel and would replace my frame with the longer travel version) No luck that sucker wouldn't fail. You can get the bike with a coil now but it only has 4.7 inches of travel. I would recomend the Swinger. 135mm of travel, durable and allmost as plush as a Romic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    thanks guys. I haven't gotten a chance to go to the bike shop and test ride them yet but I just don't think I can afford the lefty version. The cheapest lefty jekyll is 1900, I can probably get the 600 vbrake for about 1000 - 1100, I could later on sell the the fork that came on the bike for maybe 50-100 bucks and get a used lefty off of ebay for 3-500 and get it rebuilt for, I think I read it was around 150. it'll end up being cheaper overall and hopefully I would be able to find a lefty with tpc+ and ti spring instead of the one that comes on the 800.

I probably wont' buy the bike for another month or so at least, I'll let you guys know if I went for the jekyll or not.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I've found that people either love the Jekyll or hate it. I am one of those who LOVE IT. I just rode my Jekyll 2000 after a week of doing XC on my Stinky. It made me appreciate the Jekyll all over again. It made me realize how light and plush my old Jekyll really is...at least over the small and medium sized obstacles.

I think part of the reason for the different opinions on the Jekyll is due to the different sizes. I've heard that the smaller sizes are much more stiff, stonger, and lighter than the larger ones for obvious reasons. Also, I was strapped on cash after purchasing my Jekyll 2000 back in 2001 but it was totally worth it in the long run because I haven't had to change a thing on it except for regular maintenance items and after almost 1500 miles of hard riding, it still rides and operates like it was brand new. In short, you get what you pay for.