mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Jekyll 1000, What would you change?

I am considering buying a 2004 Jekyll 1000 and was wondering if there was any component that would be worth changing/upgrading?
    For example, perhaps it would be worth changing the cranks and cassette for XT. Also, the XT disk brake reviews haven't been particularly outstanding. Anyone have a suggestion? Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    The only thing I found that absolutely had to be changed were the tires. The brakes are really good in my opinion. The lever feel is perfect and I can do a stoppie with just a slight forward weight shift. My pads don't drag. If they get really wet they will squeal under light braking until heated up.

As for the rest of the components, I think they're good for the price. Use them until they wear out. When I ordered mine last September and had to wait 3 months, I came up with a huge list of parts I was going to upgrade. All I've changed are handlebars, stem, tires, pedals, shifter cables and fork oil.

ceteris paribus
    What I like about the 2000 is that it's fully XT.
    Perhaps some Hayes or magura marta brakes will do the trick.

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanu
    I am considering buying a 2004 Jekyll 1000 and was wondering if there was any component that would be worth changing/upgrading?
    For example, perhaps it would be worth changing the cranks and cassette for XT. Also, the XT disk brake reviews haven't been particularly outstanding. Anyone have a suggestion? Much appreciated.
    For me that's an easy question. I was seriously considering going with a Jekyll 1000 this year, but decided to stick with the Scalpel (2000, same price, better spec). If I had gotten the Jekyll I'd have done exactly what you suggest, XT cranks and cassette. For the record I think the XT disc brakes are the best I've used (Hayes Mags, Magura Marta's) - great modulation and plenty of power.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

Ride on ... eh!

Jekyll changes

When I got mine, I only changed a couple of things.... seat and pedals.
    The Cannondale seat was crap, and with me being an older fellow, I wanted a little more support. Also, the Shimano 515 clipless were terrible (help, I've fallen and I can't get out of my bike!).... I went with Times.
    I looked into the XTR Front Der. and the XT is less problematic. I have a buddy who has one and he is constantly having to adjust it.
    I've had no problems with the brakes, or with anything in the drivetrain. I checked out changing the cranks, but in 02 the bike came with XT Hollowtech and they are pretty stiff so I haven't seen a need.
    Only other thing I added was a remote lockout for the rear shock as the bike is an 02 Jekyll 1000, so no SPV shock. Use it all the time... great toy!
    That was it.... I've be really happy with this bike!
    Good Luck with yours!
    Last edited by cdnbkrdude; 04-20-2004 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Addition

Out riding my Scalpel

Jekyll 1000, What would you change?

I have a 2003 model which I really like. The only thing I've changed this season is the shifters and cranks, full XT now. The bike otherwise really gets it on. Next thing I'll change is probably the seat and seatpost. Your gonna be very happy you got the Jekyll 1000. Have a good time riding it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Listen! What I did change

I have a 04 Jekyll 600 v-brake

The first thing I changed was the saddle for my old one. I couldnīt use the original Fisik Nisene.
    Then I changed the Hutchinson Scorpion Tires, they were horrible. Here in Chile we have some very technicall and fast descends, and with those tires I fell twice, so I changed them for a couple a 2.35" Maxxis Minnion that work fantastic, it really makes a difference.
    Next I changed the brakes so I installed the Avid Ball Bearing Mechanical 185/160 mm front/rear, they work fantastic.
    Finally I changed the 120 mm stem for a 70 mm so I feel more comfortable riding and jumping on descends, but it hurted the climbing performance of the bike.
    Iīm thinking on changing the handelbar for a 2" rise one, but Iīm not convinced.

I hope it helps

maxwell
    Apr 2004
    Picking up my 04 Jekyl 1000 on Friday! Last bike I had was a '91 Stumpjumper so I've kind of been out of riding for a while.

For replacement tires and seats, which would you recommend out of the selections REI carry? (My fiancee works at REI so I can get a bit of a discount there).

REI

I'm not very concerned with weight as I won't be racing. Just want comfort and performance. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

RE: Jekyll 1000, What would you change?

If your style is Cross Country:
    Tires: WTB Weirwolf 2,1" or IRC Mythos 2,1" (in that order, but it also depends on the terrain you ride your bike, so be careful, visit the tires web pages and see if they are compatible)
    Seat: I only know specialized body geometry seats are very comfortable ans scientiffically tested.

If your style is Cross Country:
    Tires: WTB Weirwolf 2,3" or Continental Vertical Pro 2,3"
    Stem: Any good 70mm stem
    Seat: the same as above

I hope it helps

maxwell
    Apr 2004
    Thanks Patricio that does help. There is a lot to keep up on and there seems to be quite a few of you that have this stuff down well. My riding will be mostly cross-country/trail riding around Western Oregon (Eugene). It looks like you had another set of suggestions for another type of riding?

I should have included an easier link to the REI page.

REI TIRES

and

REI Saddles

Thanks again for saddle and tire suggestions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell
    Thanks Patricio that does help. There is a lot to keep up on and there seems to be quite a few of you that have this stuff down well. My riding will be mostly cross-country/trail riding around Western Oregon (Eugene). It looks like you had another set of suggestions for another type of riding?

I should have included an easier link to the REI page.

REI TIRES

and

REI Saddles

Thanks again for saddle and tire suggestions.
    I just put a WTB Pro Gel from REI on my bike and I love it. However, it may not work for you. The best thing about buying from REI is if you don't like it you can return it. I am trying the Mythos this year. I live in New England so it is very wet and muddy still. I love the rear, but the jury is still out on the front. It doesn't seen to hook up too well, I find it slides in the mud and on wet roots.

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
    I've got an '03 1000 and am so far quite happy with it. Things I've changed are:

- Upsized front brake rotor, from 160 to 180mm (wavy rotor from Louise FR). Very worthwhile $80 mod. The '03's had Martas instead of the Shimano stuff though.

- Tires: had Supergo swap the stock tires for Panaracer Fire XC Pros...I imagine they're better than the supposedly terrible stockers but I'm far from in love with them. I'll probably be trying VerticalPros, WeirWolfs or EnduroPros next.

- Swapped SPD pedals for ATACs. (I'm not a fan of Shimano pedals given how much better the Times perform in mud, snow, etc).

- Yoinked the remote rear shock lockout thingy. It's a joke.

- Rotated the Lefty lockout 90 degrees so it faces forward when not locked out, after having been given a lockout knob-shaped bruise in my left knee.