mtbr member
    Jan 2009

jekyll 1000 vs 1000sl

Looking at buying either a 2001 cannondale jekyll 1000(for $600) or a jekyll 1000SL(for $500). Whats the difference other than the SL having a headshok and the other having a lefty fork?
    Couple questions:
    1) How much travel is in the Lefty DLR fork?

2)What is the real difference between the two bikes, because the specs on bikepedia seem to be the same other than the front suspension. Although the SL is $300 more retail which is funny since Lefty forks are so much more expensive, I would think the headshok model would be less?

3) Which is the better buy? Keep value longer? And are they worth what the asking price is both being 2001 models.

4)Which is better suited for a florida xc use?

Thanks

mtbr member

check parts

i would check the replacement parts for both of your front shocks and rear shocks to see if/once they blow out you can replace them. also check the break tabs with hydro or mech breakes to see if it is the 5 tab or 6 tab. harder to find the 5 tab because they are an older design. also check for frame recalls on cannondale website too just to make sure. then pick the one with the lowest repair cost and enjoy

karl

keep on riding

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Well, just got word that the jekyll with the lefty is sold and thats the one I was really leaning towards.

The other 2001 jekyll 1000SL is still for sale($500) Im just really torn about the headshok only being 70mm of travel and the bike being a a '01 model.

Anyone have experience on a 70mm headshok in florida?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've owned a 1000SL. The upgrade to a Lefty was huge.
    De 70mm Headshok is not the best fork for a Jekyll.