mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Japanese Frames different..

So I thought all the F series were the same..
    But saw some pics on this forum of someones US F4 that said handmade in the USA.. but my Japanese bike shop (and the Japanese Cannondale 2008 brochure) shows only the F3 and above as handmade in the USA frames..
    So a Japanese F4/USA F4 frame are different.. or are the stickers just wrong..
    Strange??

LA CHÈVRE
    Were both 2008 models?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    I'm going to go with the picture on the forums being an older year model frame. It was only very recently that C'dale made any of their frames outside of the US.

The 08 F4 in the US is not a US made frame and does not have "handmade in the USA" on it (checked the website). The F3, F2, F1 are still made in the US however.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks guys, so the F4 was not a new frame for 2008... I wasn't sure.. and it's nothing to do with being in Japan it's easier for them to get the frames from a cheaper Asian source but possibly less quality..
    Good to know were all the same...
    Last question.. is their a significant difference between the made in the USA products and those not?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My 2008 F2 Caffeine has "HANDMADE IN THE USA" decals in a few places, along the seat stays and on the top tube

has about 1100 miles on it so far. Right now I have a set of Crossrides and extra large Michelins around 2.3 inches for riding in the snow. That's about the largest tire I can fit on the back. I live outside Taos, NM where we see alot of mixed weather this time of year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusgod
    is their a significant difference between the made in the USA products and those not?
    I don't think you're going to find someone who will tell you the Taiwan frames are no good. I'm sure they're fine....heck, they probably come from the same factory which makes various other name brands. I don't think we know enough of the processing details to judge "quality" (heat treat after weld, straightening process, tubing supplier, etc.????)

I have an F3 and what I notice about it relative to other aluminum bikes (Spec, Giant, Trek, etc.) are the small details, fit-and-finish, great paint job, and gorgeous welds. It makes me happy everytime I look at it....it's like an art object.

For me, a C'dale is made in Bedford: that's what defines them. Some of what you're paying for is that uniqueness....nobody else gets frames from that factory.

Bottom line is: buy what makes you happy.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Thanks guys, so the F4 was not a new frame for 2008... I wasn't sure.. and it's nothing to do with being in Japan it's easier for them to get the frames from a cheaper Asian source but possibly less quality..
    Good to know were all the same...
    Last question.. is their a significant difference between the made in the USA products and those not?

All of C'dale's frames still come with a lifetime frame guarantee (unless for some reason their warrantee is different over there). "Better", "worse", "just different" is for you ultimately to decide.

mtbr member
    Headshoks are underrated

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That F2 is gorgeous.. but a little out of my price range :-)
    I may look at an F4.. seems like a reasonable bike and if the frame has the lifetime warranty.. excellent..

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    That F2 is gorgeous.. but a little out of my price range :-)
    I may look at an F4.. seems like a reasonable bike and if the frame has the lifetime warranty.. excellent..
    Actually, I got the F2 frameset for free from Cannondale via lifetime warranty. I cracked my Optimo frame. Cannondale let my choose any frame I wanted in the hardtail inventory, any color, and any size. Looking back, I should have asked if that included the Taurine too. Basically, the bike shop threw a catalog across the counter and told me to pick out something I might like.

The "Made in USA" framesets were limited to F1-F3. That meant that I was bascially looking at a White, Red, Blue or a Black frameset. That stunk because in the past I could get Team Edition warranty framesets. Happy with the red though. My first Cannondale in 1995 was red.