mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Issue with Cannondale Stems

I bought a Cannondale SL2 29er a few weeks ago, which of comes with a proprietary steerer tube fork requiring a 1.5" stem clamp, which only Cannondale makes. I really like the bike overall but I knew that fit would have to be tweaked, and the LBS owner (great guy) said we could order in different stems to try out until we got it right.

I found out today from my LBS, after waiting quite a while for a response from Cannondale that there is only one other stem angle choice - the bike came with a 5-degree rise, and the only other choice is a 30-degree rise. On top of that, the 30-degree stem will not be available until October.

Right now I feel like:
    a) I'm going to be stuck *very* limited fit options
    b) I've bought in to a company that decided to create a proprietary system yet doesn't have it's act together enough to provide either significant number of stem options get its manufacturing in order.

I'm trying to decide if I should stick with this bike, or look to to swap for something else at the shop. Are my concerns legitimate, or am I overly concerned about these issues?

Any advice it appreciated.

Music & Bikes
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the links, but they don't seem to fit the bill.

It looks like the Headshok stems are incompatible - they are listed at 1-9/16" while the C4 stem one mine is 1.5". The Hope stems look nice but they do not offer any angles except 5 degrees.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi,
    1.5 in steerer tubes aren't proprietary, several companies use them, although they are not common. If you do a google search on "1.5 stems, you'll find several

JimPz

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You're right that it's not proprietary, but the results of that Google search are pretty pathetic in terms of finding a decent range of stems for sale. Most everything is either very short or offers the same 5 degree rise as the one I have, and pretty much all of the top hits are several years old.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I bought a OnepointFive stem by mistake...and it wouldn't fit the Lefty steerer tube because it's 1-9/16" as stated above. I just passed it to the local machine shop dude and he managed to remove 1/32" wall thickness for $10. Fits like a glove.

Now I'm looking to change stems but the OnepointFive stems are getting pretty pathetic in terms of choices. Probably due to the new tapered steerer tube that fork manufacturers are pushing out now. Hence I can't even get a stem I want and go through the above mentioned process to fit my Cannondale. Feel your misery.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How's your stem search going? Was going to pull trigger on sl4 29er but them lack of any stem choice is too scary. Might have to get the Trek Cobia just cause I can get the parts inthe sizes I want.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    you should just swap it and save the annoyance of waiting until october until the 30 degree rise stem comes out man
    live to ride, ride to live

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Bought a Berzerker Green SL 4 and playing the waiting game for proprietary parts.

mtbr member
    To the OP, what measurements are you after?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Good job!

Hi..
    Have you considererd a custom steerer like for example the ones made by Mattias Hellore
    Carbon Lefty Steerer Tubes Experimental Prototype
    With this you use 1 1/8" stems. So you have loads of options.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Cannondale Stem with15-20 Degree rise in 90-100mm length.

mtbr member
    this is the exact reason why I'm no longer a fan of C-dale.
    not just stems...but headsets as well.
    can't just leave it at 1.5 exactly....nope. have to tweak it and make it nearly impossible to buy parts from any other company.

oh for the original post...try Woodman componenets. They used to offer tons of stems for all c-dales.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I am going thru the a similar situation with my SL4 and trying to find get a better quality fork. Is using the Problem Solvers reducers a possibility to run a tapered head tube from Fox or similar. That would solve both the fork problem and the stem situation. Love the bike but am learning to hate Cannondales System Integration BS.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    If you search on eBay, there are lots of the previous version XC3 stem/steerer, which is available in 90mm & 20degree rise, it's not height adjustable but for my 2 bikes I don't notice it.

If you want, you can get more options if you use seperate stem & steerer, there are more stem options available for you then.

Your LBS should be able to get either of these for you, surely??

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I may have found a 90mm 20D stem on Ebay from some foreign country. Calls and emails to Cannondale were useless.

My question to them.

You make this slightly bigger than a standard size 1.5" so basically everyone will have to buy parts from you, then you don't produce the parts? Not a sound business model.

So if I somehow broke the stem, this bike would be useless.

Coming from Trek. Got too impatient waiting for the Mamba and the Cannondales were on sale.

Somehow I think Bontrager would have a dozen 1.5" stems to choose from if this was a Trek bike.

Very Disappointed.