mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Installing a reverb stealth on a scalpel 29er

Hey folks,

I recently purchased a scalpel 29er and love it. I have always been curious about dropper posts and keen to try one. So, managed to get hold of a reverb stealth and wondered if anyone has fitted one to a scalpel. If you have would kindly share your experience of cable routes etc.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Do you have a 2014 Scalpel? If so, there's an opening on the seat tube to route the hydraulic hose through. If pre-2014, they were not set up for Stealth version.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sethdem View Post
    Do you have a 2014 Scalpel? If so, there's an opening on the seat tube to route the hydraulic hose through. If pre-2014, they were not set up for Stealth version.
    I'm fairly confident that the aluminium versions of the Scalpel will not work with the Stealth. I have a 2014 Scalpel 3 and don't see a hole for the Reverb line to exit the frame. I've tried tweeting and emailing Cannondale, but nobody will response to the question.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Installing a reverb stealth on a scalpel 29er

Quote Originally Posted by sethdem View Post
    Alloy or carbon frame? Just curious. I have the same question on. 2014 alloy

mtbr member
    Straight from Cannondale:

Unfortunately the Scalpel 3 does not have internal routing for this seat post. People have made modifications themselves however this will of course void the warranty.

Kind regards,

Cannondale.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know the length I should go for when buying one of these? I know I want the most drop possible on my XL scalpel.

I am currently running the saddle height with about 240mm of post from top of clamp to the middle of the seat rails.

I am guessing a 380mm version with 125? But I am not sure and new to the whole dropper post thang.

Happy trails,
    I race for Crosshairs Cycling
    www.crosshairscycling.com

My stupid blog
    www.capitalbiker.tumblr.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by need4gforce View Post
    Does anyone know the length I should go for when buying one of these? I know I want the most drop possible on my XL scalpel.

I am currently running the saddle height with about 240mm of post from top of clamp to the middle of the seat rails.

I am guessing a 380mm version with 125? But I am not sure and new to the whole dropper post thang.

Happy trails,
    Here's my Size L scalpel 3 with the top of the saddle at about 31.5". The post is a KS LEV with 150mm travel.

Also, while it's not for the reverb, there's a thread on the KS LEV that will get you into the ballpark. The LEV and Reverb seem to have pretty similar designs to this should give you some idea. KS Lev sizing

mtbr member
    380mm with 125mm drop will be fine. I have a Scalpel 3 (large) and just put a Reverb 380mm/125mm on it and it works fine. Tons of remove for it to be taller.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loki_racer View Post
    380mm with 125mm drop will be fine. I have a Scalpel 3 (large) and just put a Reverb 380mm/125mm on it and it works fine. Tons of remove for it to be taller.
    Can you do me a flavor and measure from the bottom of the post where it would max out into the seatpost(to the point where it does not let you push it down any further) and the middle of the seat rail clamp? The thing with the xl scalpel is the frames seattube is much taller than the Large ones.

Thanks!

My stupid blog

mtbr member
    I'm probably not understanding you. How would I measure the bottom of the post which is inside the bike and can't be seen, to the seat rail clamp?

Are you wanting to know how long the Reverb is if it were stuffed all the way into the frame as far as it will go?

mtbr member
    Yes if its all the way down. From the bottom of the portion that does not allow it to go down any further and then the top of the middle of the rail clamp.

Thanks!

My stupid blog

mtbr member
    From the middle of the seat rail to the top of the seat post clamp, with the entire Reverb stuff inside the frame, it's 7.25".

mtbr member
    Thanks!!! Now I need to know what the 150mm dropper is!!! Cause I could go that route if it fits....

My stupid blog

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure the 150mm only comes in the stealth model and the stealth doesn't work with the aluminum Scalpels.

mtbr member
    Good point. But I am dumb and had to have the fancy carbon scalpel : )

My stupid blog

mtbr member
    Haha. Pics of it with the Reverb when it's installed or it didn't happen. Thread-derailment but what made you pick the carbon over the aluminum or than it's a chick magnet?