Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004

Innovations at CANNONDALE?

Here i guess we should make a list of all the innovations that Cannondale brought to the world of cycling and WHY we like them so much:

1- The HEADSHOCK is a system that hasn't change much since it's inception in 1992.
    2- Cannondale started to build dual suspension bikes using single pivot designs and tryed multi-links but went back to single pivots with they're tested and true geometry
    3- Cannondale were amongst the first company to manufacture aluminum bikes
    4- Cannondale was one of the first company to sand down there weldings
    5- They brought dual suspension XC racing bikes to the podium with 100mm forks and discs brakes while the other companies still used v-brakes and 80mm forks (EX: TREK)
    6- They use innovative materials for lighter weights (SCALPEL: Plastic and Carbon)
    7- Always pushing the limits of technology with the lightest production road frames (OPTIMO)
    8- Hourglass seat stays on road bikes make it more confortable then most Carbon seatstays (and lighter)
    9- They build the bike that wouldn't break for Shaquille O'Neal
    10- You can see the heritage on their new bikes from other models, in other words, you can see the evolution of a design: Not trying to re-invent the wheel!

Anything else???

PS: I started this cause i wasn't a fan of Cannondale before i finally bought one in 2002 (a F1000 woody) and it came out to be the best bike i've had since 1992! Now i can't wait to get my hands on the prophet... and i'm tired of hearing the bashing everywhere... Cannondale innovates a lot.. Not like TREK (for exemple) who takes years before they change something... I can't believe they waited until 2005 to put DISCS BRAKES on their bikes! Finally!

LA CH»VRE
    And the "not so" top of the line Top-Fuel 100 still has el cheapo v-brakes and the bike costs what?

- What about the Lefty?
    - The term "freeride"
    - SI Hollowgram crankset

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I donít know that hourglass stays are a necessarily Cannondale innovation and Cannondale have produced some lemons along the way too. For example, Ravens had plenty of failures (not to mention being recalled) and so have their elevated chain stay rear triangles of a few years back. But that goes with the territory of being brave enough to try something innovative. I would even go so far as to say that I might become disenchanted with that innovative spirit if I had bought one of those bikes that turned out to be somewhat of a lemon or not upgradeable because of using non-standard technology and designs. To their credit, their customer service has a pretty favorable reputation and I can attest to this personally as well.

A high profile company like Cannondale will also get itís share of haters just because they have had some measure of success and not necessarily because of any tangible reason. Many people wonít own something that is popular just because of it being popular. They want to be seen as the person that is not a sheep and had the wisdom to see that there is something better out there, which may or may not be the case, but they just have to be different. I donít really worry that all of the world doesnít feel the same way about my bike as I do. Whatever floats their boat.

Just for the record, they are among my favorite brands. I think that they generally produce some very high quality frames and I actually believe that some of their models are among the best values at their given price points and then again, some are not. I also like that they push design envelopes at times even though sometimes it doesnít work out. Three of the bikes at my house are Cannondales and I always look forward to see what they will produce next. I donít like to see lies about anybody or anything, but if some people just donít like them, thatís certainly their prerogative.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    There's nothing wrong with XT/XTR or Avid SD7/Ti/Ultimate V-brakes. Granted they don't have the modulation of hydraulic discs... but they are lighter than disc setups for these reasons.

Lighter non-disc hubs
    Six less mounting bolts.
    Less weight from not needing a rotor.

All that adds up to a lighter wheelset, and if you're going to shave weight, the wheelset is the best place to do so.... So for a lightweight XC bike, discs are out...

Now if I had a heavier, trail/freeride/downhill bike, and/or had to deal with rainy, wet trails... Discs would definately be on my ride.

Aside from trying to trademark the term 'freeride', and that whole motorcycle thing, I think Cannondale has some great innovations. I just wish they'd drop this whole SI stuff!! Thats one of the reasons why I didn't buy a Scalpel. I was shopping when they were on the verge of bankruptcy and didn't want to get stuck with a bike I couldn't get parts for.

All the recalls on the bikes (especially for frame failures) doesn't install confidence either.

Also, they are just too damn expensive!

MyI have a Super V and get all giddy when I see Leftys, Geminis and my personal favorite the 1FG. I'm really anxious to see the Prophet as well. Even though I have my gripes, I'm still a Cannondale fan, even though sometimes I wonder why...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    And the "not so" top of the line Top-Fuel 100 still has el cheapo v-brakes and the bike costs what?

- What about the Lefty?
    - The term "freeride"
    - SI Hollowgram crankset
    Last edited by funboarder1971; 09-02-2004 at 09:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Why do a company that nearly went under sell their bikes way over priced. Dosnt make sense.

Team Scalpel vs F4000sl price diff over £1100!!!!!

Only difference a rear shock and a SI hollogram crank. Please tell how they justify their prices.

Most top end full susp bikes retail for the same price as the F4000sl.

How are Cannondale any better then Giant? Bianchi?, Trek?, Yeti?

I still beleive Cannondale are a bike company in trouble. Pushing gimmicks hoping it will give them the edge and justify their prices.

The Raven must be one of the ugliest and stupid bikes I have ever seen. Yet they wanted over £4000 for that !!!!

They now make some nice bikes but there are better out there and more reasonably priced.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Dales

Quote Originally Posted by KleinAttitude
    Why do a company that nearly went under sell their bikes way over priced. Dosnt make sense.

Team Scalpel vs F4000sl price diff over ?1100!!!!!

Only difference a rear shock and a SI hollogram crank. Please tell how they justify their prices.

Most top end full susp bikes retail for the same price as the F4000sl.

How are Cannondale any better then Giant? Bianchi?, Trek?, Yeti?

I still beleive Cannondale are a bike company in trouble. Pushing gimmicks hoping it will give them the edge and justify their prices.

The Raven must be one of the ugliest and stupid bikes I have ever seen. Yet they wanted over ?4000 for that !!!!

They now make some nice bikes but there are better out there and more reasonably priced.
    As for the post that got this whole thing started. You say you are tired of Cannondale bashing but why are you bashing Trek then? This is just adding fuel to the fire (no pun intended) because now Trek owners are going to bash Dale owners. I dont own a Cannondale or a Trek but I like the product of both companies. If you want to state why you think Cannondale is a good company fine but dont bash a competent competitor like Trek.

As for Klein Attitudes post (I think?) Cannondale is in not in trouble by anymeans. Cannondale got into financial trouble when they invested over 100 million hoping a new motorcycle line would take off. Bicycles have nothing to do with why Cannondale filed bankruptcy. On the bike end of things Cannondale has a huge profit margin and continue to sell large quantities of bikes and were never in any trouble profit wise or are in trouble currently concerning bicycle economics. Everywhere I look I see a Cannondale bike.

Cannondale might not be better than Trek, Giant, Yeti, or Bianchi, well personally I think many companies are better than Bianchi but it comes down to rider preference and many riders happen to like Cannondale just fine. There is also many companies that sell bikes for more than Cannondale. Ellsworth, Yeti, Turner, Santacruz, to name a few. The new Gemini series is one of the best deals around for an aggressive trail bike right now. Most companies that spec with similar parts are quite a bit more$$$$. The 04 Gemini 900 is well under 3000.00 CDN and is very nice. Part of the reason why Dale prices some of their models higher may be because the bikes are made in the US which increases production costs.

mtbr member
    OPTIMO isn't even close to the lightest production road frames. Try more than 1.5 pounds off the mark. For the remainder I like most of their race grade bikes. One of the main reasons I bought the Scalpel was for the Lefty and SI Hollowgram cranks. I'd like them to push separate frame sales more however. In Europe still very hard to get, which might change for 05 I hope. None of their stuff is a great deal here. Their pricing is up to 150% higher than the US. Just plain ridiculous considering the gross of the parts are from Asia or Europe. Only way to build a high-end version up for a competitive price is to get the frameset....maybe that's why they don't like selling them here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes I have always noticed how Cannondale dont sell their frames?

I think they know that their bike sales would drop. Or that certain bikes would be devaluated.

I mean if we could by a Team Scalpel frame and put XT and normal rims on it wouldnt we be saving over £2000. But they dont want that.

Cannodale are a rip off make. Sad to say as a Cannondale fan.

But think of the bike you can get for a fraction of a team scalpel price.

Trek Fuel 100
    Giant Carbon NRS
    Yeti AS-R SL
    Specialized Epic Special Edition

All for £1200 less than the team scalpel here in the UK. Infact the Scalpel 2000 costs more than the above bikes. And the f4000sl.

With the money your save you can buy another good quality hardtrail.!!

Pure pure madness.

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    First off, i didn't intend to bash on TREK, they're a great company, just a bit too conformist for me that's all. I got my best road bike from trek, a wonderful USPS bike that was light and efficient.

Then, about the price thing... When the scalpel 3000 came out, it was priced at 4600$CAN for a full XTR race rig. Well below the same bike over at TREK for the Fuel 100 at 6000$ with V-brakes.

Now this year, the Scalpel 2000 with complete FULL XT components and nice and light tubeless wheelset is selling for 3200$ compare to the FUEL 98 at 4600$...

How does that compare? Why is everyone saying Cannondale are too expensive, i never got that! Now, i know sometimes there price list is a bit ****ed up... For example, this year, the Jekyll 1000 ($3200) and the Jekyll 2000 ($4100) only had a few differences: XT cranks, Easton bars... things you could buy separately for way less then the price tag difference! At the same time, you could get the scalpel 2000 for 3200$ that had the exact same component the the Jekyll 2000 but 900$ cheaper!

mtbr member
    Pricing is okay anywhere but in Europe. Somehow they decided to market their stuff here with a certain level exclusivity. Sort of like how anything Italian is priced high in the US but not to the extent Cannondale in Europe however. How does Team Replica Six13 or Team Scalpel for over $8600 sound to you? Not sustainable in this day and age anymore. They need to do away with the old business model.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Pricy.

Quote Originally Posted by divve
    Pricing is okay anywhere but in Europe. Somehow they decided to market their stuff here with a certain level exclusivity. Sort of like how anything Italian is priced high in the US but not to the extent Cannondale in Europe however. How does Team Replica Six13 or Team Scalpel for over $8600 sound to you? Not sustainable in this day and age anymore. They need to do away with the old business model.
    Ouch! That is pricy. Bikes are very pricy in Canada as well, but not to the extent that you describe. My bike frame retails for $1500.00 give or take a hundred bucks in the States and here in Canada it retails for $2400.00. I am buying my next bike used for sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Upset

diive where abouts in europe are you from?

If i was american I could buy 2 team scalpels for near the price of one here.

Cannodale are fleecing the UK market. Their low end bikes are appauling for their price.

My Attitude cost me £1500. The shop had a demo day and there where Trek,Fisher,Kona,Specialized and everyone said wow.

Just look at the attention to detail, build quality and paintwork of the Klein.

Where does that statement fit into Cannodales ethos? If a Cannondale bike would have been there at the same price as my bike they would have laughed at it.

The F3000sl at more than twice the price would have only just matched it at the time.

As an example Cannondale Europe have slashed bikes down in their 2004 clearance and have just exposed how much they over price bikes in Europe.

Team Scalpel nearly £600-800 off.
    F4000sl £900 off !!!
    Jeckylls nearly 50% off

I know of alot of dealers who simply stopped dealing with Cannondale. Their argument was they are hard to sell and their is better priced bikes around. Most dealers that do stock Cannondale only have the low end models and if you want anything better it has to be specially ordered from Holland.

Where they will have your model sitting in the warehouse gathering dust. While some accountant decides on how much to price it up by.

As a Cannondale fan it is hard to say. But true.

Cannodale offer bugger all for value. And the innovations are pointless and faddish.

Scalpel old Specialized FSR design
    Prophet Yeti As-R copy
    Raven total disaster
    Optimo Still heavier than most
    Lefty ELO bad design
    SI Hollogram Needless
    Carbon Chainstays Disaster waiting to happen
    More Callbacks than most

And is this why we pay the extra bucks

I cant see any original design or innovation there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Lefty

Cannodale are fleecing the UK market. Their low end bikes are appauling for their price.

My Attitude cost me ?1500. The shop had a demo day and there where Trek,Fisher,Kona,Specialized and everyone said wow.

Where does that statement fit into Cannodales ethos? If a Cannondale bike would have been there at the same price as my bike they would have laughed at it.

The F3000sl at more than twice the price would have only just matched it at the time.

The lefty is about as innovative and original as it gets period. I have heard many good things about the lefty and I have tested it and it works. As far as the prophet copying the Yeti, maybe but does the ASR have 6" of travel.(I am not sure on this). All manufacturers copy designs, Look at how FSR suspension has been shopped around and VPP with Intense and Santa cruz. The Ellsworth Joker, SC bullit, Yeti ASX are all similar as well. Maybe not in appearance but geometry, function, and component spec. Cannondale has stepped it up big time as far as value especially for the freeride market. Cannondale does not need to re-invent the wheel. If it aint broke dont fix it. The Geminis, Jekyls, and Scalpels are highly touted bikes. They may not work for everyone but obviously many people like them because where I live there is Cannondale bikes everywhere. Road bikes, mountain bikes, tandems, you name it. They must be doing something right.

As an example Cannondale Europe have slashed bikes down in their 2004 clearance and have just exposed how much they over price bikes in Europe.

Team Scalpel nearly ?600-800 off.
    F4000sl ?900 off !!!
    Jeckylls nearly 50% off

I know of alot of dealers who simply stopped dealing with Cannondale. Their argument was they are hard to sell and their is better priced bikes around. Most dealers that do stock Cannondale only have the low end models and if you want anything better it has to be specially ordered from Holland.

Where they will have your model sitting in the warehouse gathering dust. While some accountant decides on how much to price it up by.

Cannodale offer bugger all for value. And the innovations are pointless and faddish.

Prophet Yeti As-R copy
    Raven total disaster
    Lefty ELO bad design
    SI Hollogram Needless
    More Callbacks than most

The lefty is about as innovative and original as it gets period. I have heard many good things about the lefty and I have tested it and it works. As far as the prophet copying the Yeti, maybe but does the ASR have 6" of travel.(I am not sure on this). All manufacturers copy designs, Look at how FSR suspension has been shopped around and VPP with Intense and Santa cruz. The Ellsworth Joker, SC bullit, Yeti ASX are all similar as well. Maybe not in appearance but geometry, function, and component spec. Cannondale has stepped it up big time as far as value especially for the freeride market. Cannondale does not need to re-invent the wheel. If it aint broke dont fix it. The Geminis, Jekyls, and Scalpels are highly touted bikes. They may not work for everyone but obviously many people like them because where I live there is Cannondale bikes everywhere. Road bikes, mountain bikes, tandems, you name it. They must be doing something right

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'll throw in my two cents as a former Cannodale owner, and why I no longer am. When I went looking for a mountain bike in 2000, I started with Cannondale. What I found in my $500-600 range was a bike with mediocre components, a joke of a fork (headshock with no dampening) and a poundingly stiff frame. I ended up after riding some other bikes (Giant, to stiff, Trek, almost but not quite) with a Gary Fisher Kaitai that was a much more comfortable and better handling bike.

Does Cannondale make some great bikes? Yes. But I think their venture into motorcycles put them years behind the curve on Mountain bike development. SIngle pivots!!! Come on, there are much better designs. Headshock, looks like they finally let that go. Innovation is great, but doing things differently, just to be unique is not always a good thing. I for one, hope that some of that innovative thinking that really works comes back.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    My 2003 Liquid has disc brakes from the factory. I believe there was a disc model of the Fuel 90 available in 2002 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJay
    PS: I started this cause i wasn't a fan of Cannondale before i finally bought one in 2002 (a F1000 woody) and it came out to be the best bike i've had since 1992! Now i can't wait to get my hands on the prophet... and i'm tired of hearing the bashing everywhere... Cannondale innovates a lot.. Not like TREK (for exemple) who takes years before they change something... I can't believe they waited until 2005 to put DISCS BRAKES on their bikes! Finally!

I ride therefore I am.

Hey Klein(BAD)Attitude

My Attitude cost me ?1500. The shop had a demo day and there where Trek,Fisher,Kona,Specialized and everyone said wow.

Team Scalpel nearly ?600-800 off.
    F4000sl ?900 off !!!
    Jeckylls nearly 50% off

Prophet Yeti As-R copy
    Raven total disaster
    Lefty ELO bad design
    SI Hollogram Needless
    More Callbacks than most

It is obvious by your ID what brand of bike you are partial to as it is with my ID.

But do you really believe all the crap you write on these posts?

You spend a lot of time on this forum "Cannondale" posting how unfair the prices are and bashing them.

I've wondered if you go back to the Trek - Gary Fisher - Klein - Bontrager, forum and tell everyone how bad you bashed Cannondales on this forum.

I wonder why they group Trek - Gary Fisher - Klein - Bontrager brands together on one forum?

Ask someone on the street if they've ever heard of a Klein bicycle?

Ask that same person if they've ever heard of a Cannondale bicycle?

I have nothing against Klein but I'm sure if I researched I could find several things to go to the Klein forum and bash the bikes.

Think about what you have stated on this thread.

Scalpel old Specialized FSR design - Get real not even close to the EPO which cannondale has been researching since the early 90's with thier other FS experimental designs.

Prophet Yeti As-R copy - what about the old killer v so did Yeti copy that first?

Raven total disaster - I'll agree for the most part even though these bikes are still selling for over $1000 here in the states

Optimo Still heavier than most - ? most (examples)

Lefty ELO bad design - What is bad about it I've never heard one bad comment on the ELO?

SI Hollogram Needless - hmmm wonder why Shimano copied it then?

Carbon Chainstays Disaster waiting to happen - What disaster explain?

More Callbacks than most - where's your data really.
    I'm interested where you got all your data obviously not by ride time in the saddle of each of these bikes since you can't afford one.
    I myself have 5 currently and have owned many more. I made the change to Cannondale in 2000 -2001 and have not regreted it for one minute. The designs are solid and one of the reasons I made the change.

Cannondale Europe was never even a part of the bankruptcy for the US division which by the way are two seperate inities.
    The US bicycle division was supporting the Moto division but could not continue any longer, just shows how well Cannondale bicycle sales are in the US.
    The key is supply and demand obviously if they were not selling at those high prices Cannondale would have to lower their price or quit selling in europe. Don't let the shops fool you much of the pricing is delegated by the shops.

Why is Klein owned by Trek?

As for calling yourself a Cannondale fan you should really think that one over, for you to be a fan you have to like something about the Company or Bikes.

With freinds like you who needs enimies?

By the way my best friend has a '04 Klein Attitude xx and its a great american made bike!
    Last edited by jekyllman; 09-03-2004 at 02:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Jekyllman,

Kleinattitude is a retarded troll, don't waste your time on him. Just go over to the trek board to see the crap he pulls.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

I ride therefore I am.

Couldn't have said it better!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    Jekyllman,

Kleinattitude is a retarded troll, don't waste your time on him. Just go over to the trek board to see the crap he pulls.
    CDMC,
    Your statement was confirmed by my freind who posts a lot on the Trek - Klein forum seems Mr. Klein(BAD)Attitude has quite a reputation, sorry I lost my cool.

I think this is a great forum as are many other forums when we can stay away from the brand bashing and concentrate on the exchange of information we come here for.

What was it Freud said about penis size?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Speaking of carbon chainstays... when I was looking at the Scalpel, I was wondering this...

Has anyone needed to replace the bushings in there?
    Any failures due to the chainstay/bushing flexing?

Also, I noticed that the chain gets *REALLY* close to rubbing the chainstay when the bike is using the 11t gear on the cassette... does it rub a lot? Looks like it would grind it away over time...

Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    Jekyllman,

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

ah so this is where the kleinmeister has been

i thought mr klein was avoiding the trek bontrager klein board

didnt know he had taken up residence in the cannondale camp

can we have him back

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    CDMC is a joke. He needs to buy some real bikes.

Leave the real talk to the real men and go chat your trek stuff punk.

jekyllman do some research. It obvious you are not a well informed Cannodale man.

Carbon Elo had terrible problems with the lockout motor.
    Raven is pants
    Si Hollogram Gimic, please show me a Shimano Copy
    Optimo mtb frame light? Giant Team Carbon
    Chainstays well if that isnt a problem what is.
    Why do Cannodale have bad frame reps. Crack N Fail

Owe and please try and find some bad faults on Real Kleins. Or even the Trek ones and thats giving Trek some credit.

Cannodale have a poor quality to price ratio. Overpriced and living in the past.

Most bikes have come down in price and are better equipped than previous years. Cannondale go up every year and still cant produce better than the rest.

I like Cannondale and would like one. But justifying their price is as hard as trying to convince a blind man to buy glasses.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Si Hollogram Gimic, please show me a Shimano Copy

that should read shimano show me a cannondale copy

I ride therefore I am.

Upset Not a Clue?

jekyllman do some research. It obvious you are not a well informed Cannodale man.

I've done research. where's yours? You're the one making all the claims where are the facts?

Carbon Elo had terrible problems with the lockout motor. - Says who? Show some data!

Raven is pants - ????? Retarded Troll!!!

Si Hollogram Gimic, please show me a Shimano Copy - uh OK, Hollow Tech move the bearings to the outside hollow crank arms hollow BB.

Optimo mtb frame light? Giant Team Carbon - So we're comparing optimo aluminum to carbon fiber? You are an Idiot!

Chainstays well if that isnt a problem what is. - What is? Above your comparing an entire carbon fiber frame to an optimo aluminum frame now you want to say carbon fiber is a problem? Any problems in the first chain stays have been addressed by Cannondale. Where are the facts? What is the problem?

Why do Cannodale have bad frame reps. Crack N Fail - How many Cannondale frames fail vs. other brands you got some comparisons or are you just talking out your a$$ again.

Here is a set of factual test results, comparisons of MTB frames from EFBe (stands for Engineering For Bikes) http://www.efbe.de/ehard.htm

Here is another for road frames - http://www.efbe.de/erenn.htm

Don't look for Klein, remember if it didn't pass the minimum fatigue test it won't be on the results as certified.

Hey KBA look at that it's Trek on the list, go figure. And hey there is Cannondale way at the top imagine that!

Owe and please try and find some bad faults on Real Kleins. Or even the Trek ones and thats giving Trek some credit.
    OK, Here are some facts dealing with frame fatigue from the EFBe - http://damonrinard.com/EFBe/frame_fatigue_test.htm

Facts! where are your facts? Not talk facts!

Step up and be a Man!

Sorry Mikedesign but you can't have him back yet, we're not through abusing his little punk a$$!
    Last edited by jekyllman; 09-04-2004 at 12:00 AM.

I ride therefore I am.

Smile Epo

Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    Speaking of carbon chainstays... when I was looking at the Scalpel, I was wondering this...

Has anyone needed to replace the bushings in there?
    Any failures due to the chainstay/bushing flexing?

Also, I noticed that the chain gets *REALLY* close to rubbing the chainstay when the bike is using the 11t gear on the cassette... does it rub a lot? Looks like it would grind it away over time...
    Check out this thread on this exact subject.

Scalpel durability & reliability

I currently own two Scalpels '02 & '03 and previously had two others both '02 with no problems with any part of the rear suspension.
    The chainstays are designed to flex at the EPO (Engineered Point Orientation near the middle or the flat part of the chainstay) not at the connections. Truely a Cannondale innovation (should get some argument outta that one from you know who)

Once your weight is on the bike the preload of the stays is removed or loaded and the chain is actually moves further away form the stay, another part of the suspension engineering and innovation.

Now's my chance for a shameless plug-a-pict of my two Scalpels. The '03 Team SOBE is mine the Black '02 is my son's.

A Prime example of Cannondale's Innovations.
    Note: the Lefty front forks (the SOBE now has a Carbon Fiber DLR Lefty).
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    © 1997 Engineering for Bikes (EFBe), Bochum

Now show me some real data.

Punk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast