Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sally Scale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    56

    Information & Opinions: Jekyll 3000

    Anyone care to render an opinon on the 2004 Cannondale Jekyll 3000?

    I found this beauty in pristine condition ... some of the OE equipment has been swapped out, however still XTR, XT, WTB and Thompson on board.

    I have not seen many of these on the trails ... or on ebay for that matter. Rare? Or...?

    This one has been through the shop, just had the suspension bushings replaced and front fork service by the dealer. What's it worth?

    Thanks!

    Pictures: http://s653.photobucket.com/albums/u...Jekyll%203000/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sally Scale; 06-17-2009 at 12:30 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    13
    What fork & shock does it have?
    These went for around $2400 new. I'm still riding my 2003 Jekyll 3000 (frame w/ my own parts) with a Lefty Max 130 & the Fox Float RC tuned by Push. It's a great bike! If you do decide to buy it, I'd have Push revalve the rear shock for about $150 - it made a world of difference on mine.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sally Scale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by okmtbr
    What fork & shock does it have?
    These went for around $2400 new. I'm still riding my 2003 Jekyll 3000 (frame w/ my own parts) with a Lefty Max 130 & the Fox Float RC tuned by Push. It's a great bike! If you do decide to buy it, I'd have Push revalve the rear shock for about $150 - it made a world of difference on mine.
    Lefty Max 130 with a Manitou SPV Swinger in the rear.

    I've got it!

    PUSH does not list services for these shocks on their site and FAQs say if its not listed they don't service it. I emailed but did not receive a response.

  4. #4
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,415
    The Manitou can't be Pushed.

    Not a rare bike, but a nice one.

    Enjoy, and learn to reset the bearings in your fork
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sally Scale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    The Manitou can't be Pushed.

    Not a rare bike, but a nice one.

    Enjoy, and learn to reset the bearings in your fork
    130 or 140? I want to be certain...

    Would you mind taking a look at the pictures and telling me what I have here.

    Also ... the rear shock...I tried to adjust the length by removing the shock, losening to lock collar and attempting to rotate the main collar (mounts to frame)

    The collar wouldn't budge!

    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    13
    Looks just like my 130 mm Max TPC + . Craig may be able to add some more info.
    I really like the TPC + compared to some of the later Lefty's. The twin piston damper seems a bit plusher than later models. I stiffened up the compression/rebound dampening by using a bit thicker oil than C'dale specs in it stock.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sally Scale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by okmtbr
    Looks just like my 130 mm Max TPC + . Craig may be able to add some more info.
    I really like the TPC + compared to some of the later Lefty's. The twin piston damper seems a bit plusher than later models. I stiffened up the compression/rebound dampening by using a bit thicker oil than C'dale specs in it stock.
    "Plush" ... I think I know what you mean. I also ride an Anthem X ... this Jekyll feels like a Cadillac when compared. I was riding some high speed downhill trails and the Jekyll just seemed to float over everything...like riding in a boat over rolling waves.

    The only concern I have is with pedal bob and I feel I'm not getting enough compression out of the shock. The adjusment doesn't feel like it does much...very little difference on either extreme of the adjustment.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    13
    I agree. The high point of this bike is the Lefty, not the rear shock/suspension.

  9. #9
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,415
    Yep, it's a 130 TPC+. As for the rear end, they are very plush, welcome to single pivot land. You can adjust your pedalling style to make it bob less (as thousands before you have) or find a 2nd gen Jekyll fit Fox and have it Pushed. It won't make it feel all firm and efficient like a multi link bike, but the super gooey plushness is missing on those bikes, so who really got everything a suspension bike could want, all in one box? No one.

    As for the stuck collar. Try mounting the trunion back in the frame, then turn the shock. The get stuck with dirt etc sometimes. Have fun!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sally Scale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    56

    Off to Cannondale

    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Yep, it's a 130 TPC+. As for the rear end, they are very plush, welcome to single pivot land. You can adjust your pedalling style to make it bob less (as thousands before you have) or find a 2nd gen Jekyll fit Fox and have it Pushed. It won't make it feel all firm and efficient like a multi link bike, but the super gooey plushness is missing on those bikes, so who really got everything a suspension bike could want, all in one box? No one.

    As for the stuck collar. Try mounting the trunion back in the frame, then turn the shock. The get stuck with dirt etc sometimes. Have fun!
    I've about fallen in love with this bike and now it's gone for at least two weeks!

    I knew there was "something" wrong with the suspension but couldn't put my finger on it. I brought the bike to the local Cannondale dealer who informed me the compression pack is blown on my shock. I guess this explains why there seems to be very little compression adjustment.

    In any event the shop recommended sending the shock to Cannondale and have them do it. I was told the shop could order the parts and do the overhaul in house at basically the same cost, however the shop owner told me Cannondale does a great job and will warranty their work whereas the shop would not... does this make sense?

    So the shock is off to Cannondale -- $210 which covers a complete overhaul of the shock, shipping and shop labor to remove and install the shock when it returns.

    Two weeks...blah!

  11. #11
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally Scale
    So the shock is off to Cannondale -- $210 which covers a complete overhaul
    I'm confused, are you talking front, as in Lefty, or rear as in Manitou?

    Cannondale doesn't fix rear shocks, and you weren't asking about front as I recall...

    Compression Pack? Their words?

    That's a new one.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sally Scale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    I'm confused, are you talking front, as in Lefty, or rear as in Manitou?

    Cannondale doesn't fix rear shocks, and you weren't asking about front as I recall...

    Compression Pack? Their words?

    That's a new one.....
    Yes...I'm talking about the front "Lefty" shock having a problem ...sorry for the confusion. I think I was talking about front and rear which probably added to the confusion.

    I spoke to the owner/manager who told me I was better off shipping the front shock to Cannondale ... he stated the "shock was blown" after giving a few test squishes ... he also asked what type of riding I do and if I ever bottomed out the shock.

    The kid behind the counter said "feels like you blew the compression pack" ... took my information, my bike and told me he'd call when he talked to Cannondale.

    I'm a Fox Float guy...aside from being one of those guys that asked all the lefty riders about their front shock I don't know much about the internal workings.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ccaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,697
    Shocks are on the back .........
    Forks are on the front .

    Remember this and there's no confussion .

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sally Scale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy
    Shocks are on the back .........
    Forks are on the front .

    Remember this and there's no confussion .
    Hmm...No fork anywhere on the bike we're talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    517
    this is not a rare bike, there are lots around where i ride in dundas ontario canada. the riders all love them and have a great time on them. lefty is a STRUTT because a fork has two sides.

  16. #16
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally Scale
    he stated the "shock was blown" after giving a few test squishes ... he also asked what type of riding I do and if I ever bottomed out the shock.

    The kid behind the counter said "feels like you blew the compression pack" ...
    Why do I not trust these guys???

    1. A proper description of the issue helps.

    2. There's no such thing as a "compression pack"

    3. The fork, (running properly) has no perceptible change in compression damping feel during compression "on the floor", just on the trail, at speed.

    4. "Blown" is very subjective. Since I doubt you bought the bike from them, they just figured they'd get a few bucks out of you somehow.

    Did the fork have a leak, that made the boot bottom all oily? Did it have zero rebound control? Did your front brake squeal like a pig in heat? I'm guessing no on all counts. Your fork wasn't blown it you rode it happily, and told us that, without complaint.

    BTW, all this is brought to you under the banner of your opener option of "Opinion" YMMV
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •