mtbr member
    Jul 2004

increased scalpel travel??

i've been riding my scalpel alot lately and doing some urban riding, and a thought came accross my mind.. is there an aftermarket part that will increase the rear travel on the scalpel? i've seen them for bikes like the Kona Stinky and was wondering if something of the sort has been made for the Cannondale Scalpels. thanks for any replies

austin

Poser
    I doubt having those carbon chainstays bend any farther than they were designed to is a very good idea.

I seriously doubt you'll find a modified shock link to do this.

Ride on ... eh!

Agree with direktor.....

..... carbon fibre isn't meant to bend much farther than it is designed to. There is a certain ration of fibre to epoxy, and the orientation of the strands etc. all are designed for a small amount of flexing.
    The other problem is the shock. The mount point would need to be different for a longer travel shock. With the way the pivot on the Scalpel is, the shock would need to be larger in diameter to maintain air volume, or have a much shorter stroke... this would cause all sorts of problems with feel and the progression of the shock rate. The Scalpel's shock mounting area is pretty tight up there behind the seat.
    I don't really think the whole frame etc. is designed for it.
    If you have a Scalpel, you should probably keep that for XC riding and get a hard-tail jumper or freeride bike for your urban riding.....
    Just my $ .02

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    alright thanks for your input. i was thinking about the carbon fiber bending a little too much for comfort but i didn't think it would pose a problem. i guess i'll either get a new bike for urban riding or sell my scalpel and get a new '05 Prophet