LUW
    Ped on BIG wheels

Upset I'm startin g to get upset...

Everyone knows about the stupid FSA Afterburner cranks that throw chains - my 2011 Flash Carbon 3 is not an exception . So I have to swap the crank set, and I basically use very little the first big three rear cogs (I usually run out of gears on flats), so I decided to go for a XO with 42/28 chain rings. I got the crank set, it fitted in beautifully, BUT the friggin' front X7 derailleur is too short .

Since the bastard doesn't allow no sort of height adjustment, now I have to buy a new derailleur. If I have to buy a new one, I'm going for a X0, but which one do I need? On SRAM's site they say that they have a "Low Direct Mount" version and a "High Direct Mount" version. I'm praying to the Bicycle Gods that my Flash has the "Low Direct Mount" version and in that case, the high mount one would be compatible with a 42T chain ring. Can anyone confirm this please ASAP so that I can order it?

And one more thing. If I go for a X0 front derailleur, will I need to also swap the X7 shifter?
    Cheers!
    Luciano
    Brazil
    - 2011 Cannondale Flash Carbon 29er 3

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LUW View Post
    Everyone knows about the stupid FSA Afterburner cranks that throw chains - my 2011 Flash Carbon 3 is not an exception . So I have to swap the crank set, and I basically use very little the first big three rear cogs (I usually run out of gears on flats), so I decided to go for a XO with 42/28 chain rings. I got the crank set, it fitted in beautifully, BUT the friggin' front X7 derailleur is too short .

Since the bastard doesn't allow no sort of height adjustment, now I have to buy a new derailleur. If I have to buy a new one, I'm going for a X0, but which one do I need? On SRAM's site they say that they have a "Low Direct Mount" version and a "High Direct Mount" version. I'm praying to the Bicycle Gods that my Flash has the "Low Direct Mount" version and in that case, the high mount one would be compatible with a 42T chain ring. Can anyone confirm this please ASAP so that I can order it.

And one more thing. If I go for a X0 front derailleur, will I need to also swap the X7 shifter?
    You need a Sram low direct mount (S3) bottom pull, 42T. Example:

http://harriscyclery.net/product/sra...d4714-qc49.htm

You should mount up the new crank first with no FD just to be certain you have adequate clearance with the 28-42 front chainring combo. I have a 2010 Flash 2 carbon 29er and chainring/chainstay clearance is minimal with the 28-42. It also appears that FSA has resolved the chain drop issue with a new small front chainring. Another option is to loose the 28-42 chainrings on ebay and replace with a 26-39 combo (which is my preference). You should be fine with the X7 (10 speed) shifter.

LUW
    Ped on BIG wheels

Good job!

Thanx madog99!
    On SRAM's site they only use the term high or low direct mount, they don't say nothing about S3. Does S3 refer to the down pull model? But I d/led SRAM's specs for their line and from what I understood the X0 compatible with 42T has 100 mm between the BB and the top of the derailleur. And from the link you posted I guess that's what I need.

I installed the X0 42/28T crank set and it fitted perfectly, the problem is only the X7 FD that is too short for the bigger chain ring. I don't know what's the problem with the Afterburner, but I only have issues when I down-shift from the big to the small ring, never up-shifting, so I think the problem would be with the big 39T chain ring.

And I need the 42T chain ring because for my riding I'm running out of higher gears. My first 3 rear cogs are always shiny and clean, since I seldomly use them. I don't do tight or technical stuff anymore, only dirt roads, so speed is more important for me.
    Cheers!
    Luciano
    Brazil

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    S3 has to do with the mount. The Flash 29er uses the S3 mount. S1 and S2 are slightly different (offset and width). Make sure you get the bottom pull version which has nothing to do with S1, S2 or S3.

LUW
    Ped on BIG wheels
    10-4, thanks!
    I'm ordering it tonight from CRC.
    Cheers!
    Luciano
    Brazil