UBER Addict

Im getting a Cannondale Super V-900 for free!

Hey all,

I am brand new to the forums and brand new to Biking in general. My buddies at work have been riding for awhile and have finally convinced me to give it a try, they both ride Specialized bikes, one just dropped $1300 on a brand new Rock Hopper. I'm in AZ by the way so I would be riding the many trails here with them. I went to a bike shop where another buddy of mine works and was going to give me a good deal on a Haro or a Fetish Cycles bike, but one of my other buddies here at work overheard me talking about buying a new bike and he said "Hey, I have a 1997 Cannondale Super V-900 that you can have." So I've spent all day today, been a real productive friday here, researching the Cannondale, since neither of the other experienced riders knew anything about Cannondales, and I came across this really informative community you have here.

I've been browsing through the huge thread on upgrading Cannondale's to the Uber-V, I haven't read all the posts but I will be spending quite a bit of time in there over the next week. I'm getting the V-900 on Monday. I'm pretty sure it's stock everything, and I thinks it's only been ridden once or twice by the original owner. So my question is, should I just give it a try as is, or is there something that I should plan to upgrade on it immediately? Keep in mind, I've never ridden before so this will literally be my first experience. I'm pretty sure I will need to replace the tires but as far as I know everything else seems to be in working order. Also, from what I've seen so far in the "Post your UBER V!" thread, the Cannondale seems to be a good bike to stick with for awhile, and is a good bike that can be upgraded as needed as I get better at riding. Is this the case with the V-900 specifically? If I keep this bike, is it worth investing the money for high quality parts, or would it be better to just ride this one as a starter and save for a high end complete bike?

One last question, I have not seen the bike yet, I will on Monday, but apparently it is a large size, and I am not a very large guy, about 5'8 195lbs. My buddies here say that might be a problem. Is this something that can be rectified with adjustments or certain upgrades to make the bike a bit more comfortable even though it may be too big for me?

Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I don't know much about the Super V but I am 5'8" about 240lbs and I ride a large Cannondale and it is very comfortable. The only way to know is to try it.
    08 Cannondale F7 Disc

mtbr member
    My 12 year old daughter can ride my large and it's definately worth the upgrades. Just follow the Uber V threads and you'll get all the info you need and the guys are really helpfull(the best!!!) actually.
    '96 Uber Light
    '00 R3000 TT
    '08 Six13

Uber V junkie

Uber it as soon as you can

I got a '98 Super V 700 this last December and it is a good....great bike. There's no hurry because it will take time to get your parts lined up for the Uber conversion, but converting means some expenses: $100-230 for the swing arm, $25 for any bushing packet if needed, $150-200 for a rear shock, $150-$400 for new front suspension (mine has only 60mm travel, so upgrading that is a must) and then the kicker - if the swingarm you get doesn't match the brakes you currently have, you have to think about how to switch brake types ($100 or so) and possibly new wheels to accommodate that. $200-$600, unless you find better deals. Not trying to be negative, but I'm at that last stage where it seems like forever waiting for the money to get the new wheels. Tried to do a cheapo conversion today w/some cheap wheels I have and found out I don't have the right bushings for the rear shock, so I have to put it all back together today and wait for another week or so. If you've got friends that can guide you through all this or have connections to cheap parts, it can be far easier than I'm describing.

Also, regarding size....I'm 5'9" and got a large, and I'm having some trouble with numbness in the fingers of my right hand when I ride. Before seeing your question, I had read the injury forum (which reads like a list of all the medical conditions possible, by the way - makes me scared to go out again and can be kind of comical if you just read through the list of discussions for a few minutes) and concluded I've got a bike that stretches me out too far. Trying to shorten that distance by moving the seat forward and moving the bars back hasn't helped, so I'll be buying a medium frame when money allows because I still believe it's the size after what I've read. Just mentioning it so you know what to watch for. I think you might be able to sell yours for $500 or so depending on what shape it's in (eBay) and pick another one up that is medium for $300 or $400 (craigslist) if you have some time and patience. Sorry for the long post, hope it helps. I'm in your shoes (minus the friends with parts) and read all that Uber discussion and just can't wait to get this bike finished !

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    First take it to a Local Bike Shop and get them to do a full annual service and lube job for it. If you are new to riding, then try riding it stock till you learn more about what upgrades you want for yourself not just through buddy's and salesmen. Flat pedals will help you startup you learning skills without any elitist crash tests. Save your money and get a good helmet-dont be an organ donor. That bike is good.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    he might have problems if it has the rear carbon swing arm. those are hard to find replacements for

UBER Addict
    I dont have the bike yet so I dont know all of the parts on it but I am assuming it is all stock, I should be getting it tomorrow. I am looking into doing the swingarm replacement as one my first upgrades, but it seems that a Jekyll swingarm may be a bit difficult to find. Are there any other swingarms, maybe some newer ones, that work just as well with the "Uber V" modification?

Thanks for all the replies so far guys, been very helpfull!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I purchased my SV900 in 01/98 and love it. I am the original owner. I weigh 270lbs, I weighed about 225lbs when I purchased it and made some minor upgrades two years ago. The irony is that I was so busy with work that I could not ride after the upgrades. Now I am unemployed and I plan to ride everyday and hope to lose the weight! I also to get another job in the market that I was working.