YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

If I put a Lefty Speed on my 2011 Carbon Flash 29'er

I am seriously considering it. I was able to pick up a 2010 Scalpel frame for my wife but need a fork for it. I think I might be happier with a reduced travel Lefty Speed fork on my 2011 29'er to keep the front end as low as possible. 80mm is enough for me and I need to come up with a fork for my wife. I just wonder if throwing a couple of spacers in the Speed is going to yield all the performance or will I be missing the 29'er specific damping characterisitics tuned into the 29'er versions of the Lefty. Also what would it be like to run a 120mm on a Scalpel, is another question...

I know there are simpler ways to do things but I really would like to lower the front of my Flash to 2010 spec.
    Last edited by YB1; 10-19-2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    You can buy the different air chamber and install yourself if you have the tools. to be honest, i didnt notice that much of difference... but i tend to run the lefty's i have quite firm anyway so didnt notice the extra air you have to put in to ensure the 29er converted lefty doesnt bottom out. other friends who have done it and normally run their lefty's soft, noticed the extra harshness.

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal
    You can buy the different air chamber and install yourself if you have the tools. to be honest, i didnt notice that much of difference... but i tend to run the lefty's i have quite firm anyway so didnt notice the extra air you have to put in to ensure the 29er converted lefty doesnt bottom out. other friends who have done it and normally run their lefty's soft, noticed the extra harshness.

Yep, you are right, I probably won't notice....

Just gonna run max sag and enjoy the extra travel.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Technically you should probably get the 29er specific piston shaft as well as putting in the three spacers. I did notice the difference as the spring curve is much different without replacing the shaft. It is actually an incredibly quick and easy conversion, as well as cheap too.