mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Ideas to upgrade Cannodale Scalpel 800

I recently bought a 2002 cannondale scalpel 800. And i have been brainstorming several ideas to upgrade my bikes performance. Anyone have some advice on what to do?

Weekend Warrior
    Jul 2008
    After reading about the bike in the archives:

First, congrats on your first Cannondale!

I would upgrade to a lefty. I'm in love with it, so that's just me. You can search around for the benefits if you'd like, but you may already know them so I won't waste your time.

You may like the Float L, time will tell. The RP3 had alot of trouble, maybe the RP23 if your budget allows?

How are those Julies? I've never tried them.

You're looking at almost 2000g on that wheelset, so that would probably be my starting point.

You could also lose some weight by going to cf bars and seatpost. Lose the crankset and get a real one. Put a comfortable saddle on that baby. I like the Fizik Gobi, but that one can be expensive. I just have it because it came stock, and I love it.

Maybe put some better shifters on it if you're hard on them. But ofcourse, rule of thumb is don't replace anything until it wears out. Get what use you can out of the stock parts first.

Can we see some pictures? Make sure you post in the "Pictures of your Scalpel" or whatever it's called thread.

Good luck. Let us know what you do! Forgive typos, it's late.
    "Single speed is the new black. Wait, black is the old black... Actually, single speed really isn't new at all."
    -HP

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JaySC
    After reading about the bike in the archives:

First, congrats on your first Cannondale!

I would upgrade to a lefty. I'm in love with it, so that's just me. You can search around for the benefits if you'd like, but you may already know them so I won't waste your time.

You may like the Float L, time will tell. The RP3 had alot of trouble, maybe the RP23 if your budget allows?

How are those Julies? I've never tried them.

You're looking at almost 2000g on that wheelset, so that would probably be my starting point.

You could also lose some weight by going to cf bars and seatpost. Lose the crankset and get a real one. Put a comfortable saddle on that baby. I like the Fizik Gobi, but that one can be expensive. I just have it because it came stock, and I love it.

Maybe put some better shifters on it if you're hard on them. But ofcourse, rule of thumb is don't replace anything until it wears out. Get what use you can out of the stock parts first.

Can we see some pictures? Make sure you post in the "Pictures of your Scalpel" or whatever it's called thread.

Good luck. Let us know what you do! Forgive typos, it's late.
    Upgrade to a lefty, you say? Well, if you take a peek into the classifieds, I have an 06 Lefty DLR2 and Stans 355 Lefty wheel for sale. http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...ct=36044&cat=8 The orange and silver is just a sticker, so you can peel that off.

I <3 my Fiziks, BTW. I have them on my 06 Scalpel 1000 and 09 F29er 1.1

I also vote for the replace as they break method of upgrading.... other than the fork and wheel you are going to buy from me. (seriously, though, my fork, stans wheel, and a stans rear wheel would be great bang for buck upgrades as far as getting more travel and reducing the unsprung weight.)

Weekend Warrior
    Jul 2008
    That actually seems like a great deal for you, LppScalpel. I don't know quentin, but you really could do just what he says: Get great parts, save weight, go up in quality, and do it all for a great price.

Just my 2 cents.
    "Single speed is the new black. Wait, black is the old black... Actually, single speed really isn't new at all."
    -HP

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Looks to be in excellent condition. Very clean for a 2002.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Scalpel 100