mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Ideas on how to lighten my Prophet?

Hi,

a friend of mine and I are thinking about doing the BC Bike race next year, so I would like to lighten my Prophet a little without going all carbon crazy.

My Prophet started as a Prophet 600, but since then a few upgrades have been done, so I will list all of the components:
    Frame Prophet Small
    Fork Lefty Max TPC
    Rear Shock RockShox Pearl 3.3
    Rims Mavic XM321
    Front Hub Cannondale Lefty
    Rear Hub Shimano XTR
    Spokes DT Champion
    Front Tire Nokian NBX 2.3
    Rear Tire Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1
    Pedals Time Atac XS Carbon
    Crankset FSA V-Drive MegaExo
    Chain Shimano 9-speed
    Rear Cogs SRAM PG-950, 11-34
    Front Derailleur Shimano LX
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XTR
    Shifters Shimano Deore
    Handlebars FSA XC-280, 25 mm rise
    Stem Cannondale Holy HeadShok 31.8
    Headset Cannondale HeadShok Si
    Brakeset Shimano XTR
    Brakelevers Shimano XT
    Saddle Specialized Avatar 143
    Seat Post Kalloy SP-248D

I have done some research and it looks like the places where I could gain some weight would be on the cassette (Shimano CS-M960: -140g), the crankset (RaceFace Deus X-Type: -160g; Shimano XTR FC-M960: -180g) and the tires by going to skinnier tire, but apart from that, what would you change? The wheelset is another obvious one, but the Shimano XTR hub is fairly light from what I have seen, so maybe just upgrade the spokes and rim? If so what rim? The Crossmax SL are kind of out of the question as I would like to keep the XTR hub, unless there is a good reason for not keeping it.
    What about the handlebars, seatpost and pedals? Do the Eggbeaters feel different when riding that the Time?

My style of riding is fairly cautious. I ride mostly rooty and rocky x-country trails with small jumps (1 foot to 2 feet) but I am not the smoothest rider and tend to just plow through things. I am not a clyde either as I weigh around 140-145lbs with gear.
    I try to weigh the bike using a very unscientific method - me on the scale, record the number (A), me on the scale with the bike on my shoulder, record the number (B), B-A=bike weight - and found it to be around 31lbs right now. Ideally, I would like the bike to be around 28-29lbs, is it possible without breaking the bank and going all carbon?

Thanks a lot in advance for taking the time to respond.
    A climb is really just a flat piece of road that points up. A headwind is a climb that you can't see. So it's all flat road, really.

LA CHÈVRE
    Tires are a good way to drop weight that you'll actually feel. Save a few grams on a seatpost, a few more on the handlebars and you'll never see the difference on the trails. Rotational mass is where you want to save weight and the further from the axle the better. So lighter tires for sure. Lighter rims help too but it's not a cheap upgrade.

The cassette is a good place too. A XTR or even a XT would save weight.

The crankset is also a good idea. Shimano's external BB bearings last longer than Race Face if that matters to you.

Eggbeaters are the best pedals to me but I haven't tried Times enough to really compare them.

Seatpost and bars can shed weight but like I said, not sure I'd start there as you wont save a pound by changing both.

My Prophet started as a 2000 (mostly XT build, XTR rear derailleur, slightly lighter bars and seatpost) and I switched to Eggbeaters right there in the shop, leaving the stock pedals there, I eventually got some Crossmax SL on ebay with some sub 100gr Hope rotors, changed the saddle but more for comfort than to save weight. I also changed the tires. I used to ride with Hutchinson Bulldog UST Light 2.1, that dropped a lot of weight from the stock High Rollers the bike came with and they roll much easier because of the rubber used and the thread design. Now these tires are dead so I'm back on heavier Hutch Barracuda UST MRC Medium 2.3 (mean grippy beasts) but those are heavy. Now I have a pair of Maxxis Cross Mark UST that I will try next, should roll well and fast and are decently light... Depending of the tires I use, the bike goes from sub 27lbs to over 28lbs... The tires make the biggest difference to actually make me faster or slower.

That's my silver bullet but with the heavy 'I'm not in a hurry, I'm just here to have fun' tires.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :