Cereal Killer

... and if we just ... I toured the factory today

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take pictures. But I was very impressed. Almost everything is done by hand, the only thing that's not is threading the spokes to the rim. It's sorta done with a machine, but a person is sitting there feeding the right spoke to the machine, and it automatically screws the nipple on. That was it(except for the track where it goes into the furnace for heat treating). It's wierd how everything actually works though. They have about 20-30 booths of welders, some tac-welding the frames in to their rough shape, and others finishing the welds. To other people who sand down the welds for that smooth look. And everything was constantly being checked over for any visible problems. Yeah, I know not everything comes out perfectly, but man it was still impressive. It just didn't seem like a huge company like Cannondale could work out of a building as small as it was. But they do it. The engineer who gave me the tour said they can pump out about 500 complete bikes a day. There's a lot of smaller details I saw about the place, so if anyone has any questions, post them. I'm just happy that I got to do it. I am totally impressed by them. This was my birthday present to myself! (Wednesday was my birthday, but it was close enough).

Ex-Clydesdale
    I need to get my ass over there sometime, considering I only live a few hours away.

Sounds like it's definitely worth the trip out there.

[/jealousy]
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

mtbr member
    Where is the factory located??? Sounds like a road trip!

B3 MTB
    bedford, PA if im right. or do you mean its address?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chadmeeh
    Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take pictures. But I was very impressed. Almost everything is done by hand, the only thing that's not is threading the spokes to the rim. It's sorta done with a machine, but a person is sitting there feeding the right spoke to the machine, and it automatically screws the nipple on. That was it(except for the track where it goes into the furnace for heat treating). It's wierd how everything actually works though. They have about 20-30 booths of welders, some tac-welding the frames in to their rough shape, and others finishing the welds. To other people who sand down the welds for that smooth look. And everything was constantly being checked over for any visible problems. Yeah, I know not everything comes out perfectly, but man it was still impressive. It just didn't seem like a huge company like Cannondale could work out of a building as small as it was. But they do it. The engineer who gave me the tour said they can pump out about 500 complete bikes a day. There's a lot of smaller details I saw about the place, so if anyone has any questions, post them. I'm just happy that I got to do it. I am totally impressed by them. This was my birthday present to myself! (Wednesday was my birthday, but it was close enough).
    How does one apply for the tour? I will be visiting East Coast next Spring and I would love to visit the factory too.

Cereal Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by pecka
    How does one apply for the tour? I will be visiting East Coast next Spring and I would love to visit the factory too.
    It's located about 3 miles south of Beford, PA, off of Rt 33. The address is:
    172 Friendship Village Rd
    Bedford, PA 15522 (If you go to mapquest, it will say it couldn't find Friendship Village Rd, they have it listed as just Friendship Rd. Same thing)

If you call 1-800-BIKE-USA, ask to speak to Bonny. They do two tours on Tues., Wed., and Thurs. from 8:30 - 11:30 and 12:45 - 1:30. Try to do the morning one, because I did the later one, and a some of the people were still at lunch, so I didn't get to see everyone doing their thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Cannondale Factory Pictures

On Google I found 4 pages of pictures with descriptions in Japanese of the Cannondale factory tour:
    http://www.kcn.ne.jp/~vp-gyro/NEWS/v.../cannon01.html just change the last number to 2 / 3 / 4.

Those Japanese also toured the Specialized R&D http://www.kcn.ne.jp/~vp-gyro/NEWS/v...d/visit01.html in case anyone is interested...

The pics are kinda old from 2001 but nevertheless enjoy!
    Last edited by krayzie; 10-24-2005 at 03:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The area in those pics that has clothing assembly is now final assembly, shipping, and wheel building

mtbr member

Smile

You didnt happen to see brians scalpe? He sems to be quite perplexed that he is unable to score one of the hottest mountain bikes availabe today.
    Im onto you now brian. I will seek out all your posts and taunt you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketritch
    You didnt happen to see brians scalpe? He sems to be quite perplexed that he is unable to score one of the hottest mountain bikes availabe today.
    You just figured out who I was? What gave it away?

Devolution is real!
    Very nice. I have always wanted to see the ins and outs of cannondale.

Cereal Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketritch
    Didn't see any Scalpels, but I did see a Rush racing replica. Talk about drooling! And I saw a Snapse, decked out with the best of everything. Insanely light!

INTP
    Probably not the wisest decision in the world to let Japanese or anyone for that matter, into your factory with cameras.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Did they show you any of the Rush prototypes they mentioned?
    You know the VPP, the 4 bar and even the 6 bar bike they mentioned in their marketing brochure on the development of the Rush

come spill the beans

Cereal Killer
    Brad, didn't get to see any prototypes. I'm starting to think I didn't get a complete tour. There were a lot of places where I could look down a hallway, but we didn't go down there. O'well, no biggy. It was still cool none-the-less.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've been there but I didn't get the tour. That needs to be scheduled and they prefer Wednesdays. I live about one and a half hours away and I was in the area one day so I stopped by because I needed a set of decals for a Super V I use to have. The receptionist was very nice and hot for an older lady and she just gave me a complete original sheet for my bike. I left happy.

Members who have read this thread: 0